#41 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

View Postdragnier1, on 15 December 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

Players can slowly save cbills, so i'll have to disagree.

I also can't agree, I regularly spend all my Cbills on modules and other stuff.
the number of times iv gone from nothing to 15 million and back again in the last few weeks is becoming amusing.
Cbills are easy don't sweat them.

#42 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Postsneeking, on 16 December 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

a large missle boat will make Cbills at a fair rate, but running it in puggers takes some getting your head around.

PuG'n can sometime pan out, but there are plenty of maps where you just run though all your ammo for only 100 points of damage. Then, there are the games where the enemy scouts hunt you down, and after that, there's when you have zero cooperation: No targets to shoot until the enemy front line blitzes you.

Also: Packing on enough ammo can drive up the cost of the build indirectly, as an XL engine is the key.

I can be done, but it won't be what you call "easy-mode" …

#43 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'm not a huge fan of LRM boating in a PUG. Which seeing as my Founder's mech was a Catapult for a reason, I'm a sad panda. :)

Sometimes it does work out for you, but good LRM use requires some team work.

#44 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

iv persisted with it and while things can turn bad in an instant I seem to have gotten into a real groove with my a1-c

the rate I accumulate component destructions kill assists kills of my own plenty of those turn out to be saviors and often if im in range I get defense kills if someone trys to cap.

the key is watching the map for even the slightest signs of activity ( reading the movement of friendlys even if there are no locks that can tell you a lot ) and been in position, don't waste missles on intermittent locks or obstructed flight paths and plan to be evasive dont camp.

at first I regret buying catapults but now its mastered and iv tinkered with its build two weeks is all it took to change my mind.

#45 Scochev Apeslayer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'm new as well, and after careful research, I'm building my dakka wet dream, will advise how my mileage varies.

Dakka Hawk

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9c4ed7d60569bf

*** Edited for bad ammo placement (forgot dat head slot 0.o)!

Edited by Scochev Apeslayer, 16 December 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#46 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Have you bought that yet? If not, you could buy Shadow Hawk 5M and borrow the 275XL off of that. It'll be a lot more cost effective, and you'll need the -5M to get all of your efficiencies anyway.

Edited by Buckminster, 16 December 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#47 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUS

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostScochev Apeslayer, on 16 December 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

I'm new as well, and after careful research, I'm building my dakka wet dream, will advise how my mileage varies.

Dakka Hawk

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9c4ed7d60569bf

*** Edited for bad ammo placement (forgot dat head slot 0.o)!

here check this out, WARNING for mature audiences:
My buddy Jake Peril was running one like the one you have built in smurphy. That third AC2 just weighs too much if you want mobility like i do.
http://youtu.be/PaESyZTzRh0

Edited by Troa Barton, 16 December 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#48 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

My first mech was a catapult. Hated it. My inexperience didn't allow me to take the fullest advantage of the missiles and when and not people were going to continue to track enemies for me. I then moved onto the blackjack, which to me, is primarily a fire-support mech because of it can equip long-range weapons, such as the AC 2/5. I did OK with this, but I really wasn't good because again, I was too inexperienced to snipe. I then got a jager (jm6-s for those who care), which is great for me. Although the jager is technically an anti-air/long range support mech, I turned it into a brawler with an AC/20 and 4 ML. I like brawling because it's pretty consistent in behavior; run, shoot, run away, repeat. Easy. When I first started, I didn't like to move, so I'd stand and try to shoot people.

What I'm trying to say through all of this is that brawling is good to start off with because it's such an easy concept. As said before, I liked to stand and shoot (which is fatal) so having a heavier mech like the jager is good because you can equip heavier armor on it as well as some good weapons.

One more thing:
Don't get a mech that has too many different types of weapons. If you have more than two or three weapon groups, it's really hard to control which fire when and where. Like I have on my jager, AC/20 is group 1, left MLs are group 2, and right ML is group 3. Good heat management and no headaches about firing out of range or wasting ammo randomly.

#49 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 16 December 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm not a huge fan of LRM boating in a PUG. Which seeing as my Founder's mech was a Catapult for a reason, I'm a sad panda. :)

Sometimes it does work out for you, but good LRM use requires some team work.

You could try direct fire when you have los (line of sight). That's what i tried for a while.

#50 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:51 AM

very wasteful(dumb fireing) los is good if your not the focus of attention but generally I keep me head down unless im alone, I prefer to anticipate the los of others and reserve fire untill I can launch from cover and perhaps step out to acquire los for myself only when the first volly is close to target.

stay long enough to see the rest home and back off before gaining too much attention.

next thing you want to do is find a new location to repeat the offence.

not sure what the other missle boats do in pugs but thats the style im adopting and its best not done from back or front lines you need lots of triangles around to get lost on the mini map.

Edited by sneeking, 17 December 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#51 ZacMacCrac

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 13 November 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

Jenner with a 300xl, because you can use it in a ton of other mechs.

Alternatively, you could use your newbie money to buy something like a CN-9D, because it comes with a 300xl engine out of the box, which is possibly the most versatile engine in the game, given the number of Heavy/medium/jenner builds it works great with. It also comes with Endo Steel already equipped, and an expensive ballistic (LB10X), all for a little over 8 million cbills. And centurions are just generally pretty good, in my opinion.

Oh, and if you want to kick out a modest amount of MC, you can buy the Yen Lo Wang hero mech that can also use that same 300xl and be a pretty freaking fast AC20 platform. Lots of people can tell you about their love for the Yen Lo Wang.

That would leave you with only one more mech to buy with actual cbills, since you need three variants of the same chassis to progress mech skills beyond basics. Most people would suggest the CN-9A as your third variant.

With those three mechs you can learn a ton about positioning and piloting in a chassis that is tougher than it's weight. Also, you can learn a lot about ballistics and firing while on the move, which are useful lessons to learn.

That was some really useful information, thanks for that. Particularly the bit about needing three variants of the same mech. I already have the LB10X variant and it is actually my favorite mech (out of five). So I will buy the Y-L-W and the other variant you suggested.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users