5 replies to this topic

#1 Morquedeas

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 55 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

I am not exactly a new player but I like to come because the people are usually helpful so here I am.

Because I run a fairly out of date rig and MWO seems to quite poorly optimized, I frequently find myself disadvantaged in fights, for a number of reasons including but not limited to poor fps.

The worst is when I am being shot at unfortunately, as this is when poor visibility is the most ruinous. Things like the screen blurring (I hate this feature) that accompanies screen shake on lower end systems are quite harrowing. When something like ballistics hits me, my entire screen tends to be obscured by the explosion, and the particle affects usually cause a drop in fps. I believe it is also the particle affects that cause the screen darkening issue that still plagues my games (especially on maps that already have poor visibility like rcn and tt) and can essentially turn my screen black for several seconds.

There is only one thing that I could thing of that might help me at all, though I am quite open to other suggestions. I am hoping someone could provide me with a current user cfg file that is more tailored to enhancing game visibility, reducing uneeded settings and focusing on ones that are required to see far or clearly in MWO. I am a couple months into my return to this game and had deleted my cfg files, I actually do not even know if they are still usable but with things going the way they are now and with the even worse (initially) performing DX11 around the corner I figured it would be good to ask.

If you got this far, thank for at least reading my post at least, and I sincerely hope that there is someone who can help me in my hour of lamentation.

P.S. Please do not just tell me to get a new computer, I am not ready to spend a couple hundred dollars just to play this game better.

#2 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Not able to speak to cfg files, but I highly recommend checking out blackviper.com for advice on tweaking your OS to ring out a little more performance. Been relying on that guy for a long time.

If you don't already run CCleaner to scrub out the registry, and have Defraggler as your defragging tool, I highly recommend both. Defraggler will run forever the first time, as it doesn't do a "good enough" job like most, it actually tries to defrag your whole disk and all files.

Lastly, make sure you have the latest video drivers, that can make a huge difference sometimes. Just set a restore point before you do, that way you can roll back in the rare event it makes it worse.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Make sure, of course, that you're disabling as many graphical options as you can (motion blur, AA, post processing, etc)

Run on the lowest resolution you can stand to look at. (lower resolution can offer larger FPS boosts than merely lowering the options menu settings)

There have been many attempts to make "low spec" CFG files. If I find a good one I'll post it here.

DX11 actually ran better for a lot of people, highly dependent on their particular hardware and settings. If you have an older machine you'll probably still use DX9 anyway so DX11 won't make a lick of difference to worry about.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...for-low-end-pc/

#5 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yup, drop settings to minimum (this is actually a tactical advantage as well as FPS saver), and as Redshift said reduce your resolution. If you've got, say, a 1920x1080 display, give 1280x720 a try as an example. The FPS savings on a low end rig by reducing resolution are outstanding, and you can get used to it pretty quick.

Keep in mind, most user.cfg settings just don't do anything at all anymore.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

When you can, though, a new computer would make the game considerably more enjoyable. Not to mention you can indulge in many other computer games which in almost every case will look far better than games do on consoles.

Some shots. Unedited.
Spoiler

Contrast, brightness, saturation slightly adjusted.
Spoiler

All shots by Lordred, on a single GTX 660(?) Classified 3 gig video card.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users