A Mech You Would Use In A Campaign.

11 replies to this topic

#1 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Alright folks, time for another what kind of mech would you use post.

few things i would prefer to happen.

lets try to make your own designs instead of just quoting a canon variant. that being said, if you want to phrase a mech as a variant of a mech that already exists go ahead.

cost actually matters in this one. Every campaign i have participated in, a grand total of 6..., requires us to take cost into account. you play stupid and lose that big fancy atlas you ride around in you might be down to piloting an urbie until you can salvage or buy something better. Not joking either, that happened more than once. please try and keep costs reasonable, so spending 30 million on a 50 ton mech with an XXL engine is out of the ballpark. Obviously if you go clan your price will be higher but to each their own.

Clan or inner sphere, doesn't matter.

try to think of a role to fill and fill it. your 2/3 50 ton mech with 40 small lasers and 20 tonnes of hardened armor might meet every other point and still be completely useless.

Any era is good, you want to go 3025 or 3145 either is just as valid.

try to avoid experimental tech please.

Last but not least have fun with it.

now for my example mech.

Taraka TAR-1B

Spoiler

however, even though i would use this mech, it does have a couple issues. The biggest one is that some of its components are from the FWL during the jihad. Also the only place for the shigunga is from luthien.This would make those items harder to get ahold of. but it is reasonably priced, has good firepower and lots of armor.

it is primarily a mid-range bruiser. It also would be fair vs light mechs because of its high damage weapons. It is average speed wise for an 80 ton mech. It contains nearly max armor, and has heavy firepower in close, with a damage capability from 4-9 hexes of 70. its biggest weakness is that it has relatively short range for a 3067 mech with its longest range weapon only being able to shoot out to 540 meters. so on a plain or other wide open terrain it could be kited, but in a forest or other area that causes ranges to be shorter it can take on most mechs. it is a bit hotter than i like mechs to be, but all it has to do to not over heat is to only fire the HPPC every other round or conserve the mrm ammo when possible. The mrm 40 only has 12 reloads, so ammunition is a concern there.

while it has its flaws it is still a solid design.

As to the manufacturing company, it is a homebrew company that i use for all of my designs. just makes things easier.

so what do you guys got?

#2 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

Spoiler

Enbarr, named after mythical horse of a Celtic god.
Fast, hits hard at a range and up close its hell.
Mid range brawler, fast at 86 kph, 3JJ add to the ability to manuver once you are in close or it becomes tight terrain.

Mostly energy so it can do well in a sustained campaign, but should carry enough ammo if it gets caught out it can rely on them for a while. It will run really hot if you alpha, near death levels really so that is out of the question. More or less out to dry at longer ranges, only has the ERLL to poke at things past 540m.

It's got LAMS which is experimental, but being a Goliath Scorpion design this one is meant for their seekers, those who go on long journeys in search of lostech, meaning they would be equipped with the best of the available equipment, and are going to have to stay out for quite a while with limited supplies

Edited by kevin roshak, 11 November 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

This one: little bit vanilla: because of several "house" specific stuff... although i have not used a compact gyro and a small cockpit although i have toyed with this idea.

Its a fast - if necessary very fast - striker ideal for gurilla war fare. It should work quiete good vs mechs and infantry.
The lack of jump jets is a problem. - as said maybe as a full WoB Mech - with light cockpit and compact gyro and the reduction of the HPPC towards a ER-PPC it could be possible.

The stealth system should allow him to fade - after a successful strike.

Spoiler

#4 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

IS: 55 ton STD engine 5/8 omni with max armor, DHS, and endo.

Clan: 55 ton XL engine 6/9 omni with max armor, DHS, endo, and FF

Role: Need JJ? Perfect weight for it and omni. Need range? Omni. Need hard hitting weapons? Omni. Need to block out the sun? Omni. Need more heat sinks for a hot planet? Omni. Need electronic equipment? Omni. New equipment comes out? Omni.

Seriously I have no idea why they keep making non-omni mechs considering they don't cost that much more to produce and are infinitely more flexible for changing battlegrounds, supply lines, etc.

#5 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

my guess would be that while they aren't that much costly to produce it is likely that the modular parts require special factories for them. same reason endo steel is more expensive because it can only be made in space.

#6 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

View Postdal10, on 12 November 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

my guess would be that while they aren't that much costly to produce it is likely that the modular parts require special factories for them. same reason endo steel is more expensive because it can only be made in space.

Are you familiar with Solaris7.com?

#7 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

i use it to look up actual stats on a mech on occasion but that is it.

#8 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:01 AM

So, I tried my hand a creating a multi-role Medium BattleMech using only tech that would be available in 3025...
Spoiler

The BattleMech is called the Misericorde, and is named after a type of long, narrow knife typically used on Medieval Terra to deliver the coup de grâce (the "mercy stroke", hence the name of the blade - derived from the Latin misericordia, "mercy") to a mortally-wounded knight.

The MSC-1D is built on a Kallon Type XII chassis and is clad in eleven tons of Kallon RoyalStar Heavy armor (both produced in the Wernke-Talon system by Kallon Industries).
The MSC-1D is powered by a Nissan 200 Fusion Engine (produced on New Avalon by Corean Enterprises) that allows the 'Mech to reach speeds of 64.8 kph, and its maneuverability is further enhanced by a quartet of Rawlings Model 80 Jump Jets (produced on New Syrtis by Johnston Industries).
The MSC-1D electronics suite is equipped with a TargiTrack 717 Targeting-Tracking System and a Rander 100 Communications System (both produced on Panpour by Jalastar Aerospace).

In terms of ranged weaponry:
  • The trio of Medium Lasers (Magna Mk.IIs, produced on New Valencia by General Motors) provide long lasting, hard-hitting firepower for operations away from supply lines.
  • The dual Machine Guns (MainFire MiniGuns, produced on Belladonna by Cal-Boeing of Dorwinion) are supported by a single full ton of ammunition and provide a zero-heat means of dispensing with infantry and light vehicles.
  • The dual LRM-5 launchers (Federated 5-Shots, produced on New Avalon by Achernar BattleMechs) are supported by a single full ton of ammunition and bestow upon the Misericorde with the ability to conduct long-range support and harassment operations with both direct and indirect fire.
However, the Misericorde's primary weapons - and those from which it derives its name - are the twined Retractable Blades (which, while uncommon, did exist in 3025) mounted in the BattleMech's forearms.

Mounted in an underslung position with the curring edges aligned to the arms' vertical axes, these blades allow the Misericorde to execute cut-and-thrust attacks against any opponents that close to melee range, as well as to clear paths for allied units through wooded terrain.
In fact, a favored anti-BattleMech tactic for Misericorde pilots (and one that can sometimes result in them becoming favored tqrgets of enemy forces) is to close the distance the opponent with the blades retracted and execute a double-fisted punch to the head or center-of-mass, then extend the blades once the 'Mech's fists have made contact; the resulting force is often sufficient to drive the blades directly into the opponent's Fusion Engine or to decapitate the opponent outright - a fitting image, given the task for which the Misericorde's namesake was designed.

-----

The Misericorde is inspired in part by the Jager known as Tacit Ronin from Pacific Rim, which mounted a retractable "Fangblade" on each of its forearm.
My design goal was to make the Misericorde a reasonably-affordable "Jack-of-All-Trades"/"Swiss Army Knife" Medium 'Mech that excels in close-combat and does reasonably well in short-to-medium range combat, especially within the confines of a city or densely-wooded area.

Additionally, the double-punch/double-skewer attack I described above is apparently completely legal in BattleTech. :ph34r:

Who said you can't? When you critpunch(I like that term!), you're punching, with all the rules therein. I haven't seen a rules thread about it, but I also don't see the need for one.

A critpunch is a punch.

You can double-punch.

Ergo, you can double-critpunch.

Now if you extend the blade and use it as a melee weapon attack, then yeah, you can only attack with one at a time. On the other hand, that might sometimes be desired, such as when attacking something really fast and you want the to-hit bonuses, or something lower than you and thus unpunchable or a 'mech already has weakened legs, but the odds are low so you don't want to risk falling after missing a kick...my favorite part about the blade is the flexibility. It gives you many options, even if some of them only come up in very narrow circumstances.

In a single turn, a ’Mech may punch with one or both arms. It can deliver a punch using its arm or fire the weapons on that arm, but it may not do both. Weapons mounted in the torso, legs or head may be fi red in the same turn as a punch attack is made without aff ecting the punch.

(Total Warfare, pg. 145)

In Advanced Rules retractable blades have a deadly, if risky attack.
Anytime a ’Mech with a retractable blade that is retracted successful punches, the controlling player can immediately announce that he is extending the retractable blade. This automatically inflicts a possible critical hit in the location successfully struck by the punch attack (this additional possible critical hit is regardless of whether internal structure was damaged or not); the player rolls on the Determining Critical Hit Table, if a ’Mech, or the appropriate Vehicle Critical Hits Table, if a vehicle. In the case of a successful punch against a battle armor unit, a critical hit means the trooper inside the suit struck is automatically eliminated. However, the controlling player must immediately roll 2D6. On a result of 10+, the blade is destroyed (mark off the topmost critical slot).

(Tactical Operations, pg. 104)

Thoughts?

#9 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

The UrbanMech. Because everyone dies sooner or later, but if you happen not to die in your UrbanMech, you cease to be a MechWarrior...

And will be gloriously reborn as a Legend.

It's also cheap enough to be fielded in great numbers, making it a great choice from an overall economic point of view.

Edited by Hayashi, 14 November 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#10 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostHayashi, on 14 November 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

The UrbanMech. Because everyone dies sooner or later, but if you happen not to die in your UrbanMech, you cease to be a MechWarrior...

And will be gloriously reborn as a Legend.

It's also cheap enough to be fielded in great numbers, making it a great choice from an overall economic point of view.

"Let's try to make your own designs instead of just quoting a canon variant. That being said, if you want to phrase a 'Mech as a variant of a 'Mech that already exists go ahead."

So, how would Hayashi's personal UrbanMech be outfitted? :wub:

#11 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 14 November 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

So, how would Hayashi's personal UrbanMech be outfitted? :P

Well if he doesn't do anything for more speed its a very statical campaign: body guard dutys in the middle of a city

#12 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

just pop in a ppc get another heatsink or 2 put another ton into armor and rest into the engine.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users