Gtx780 Ti, Poor Performance

48 replies to this topic

#1 Father Dougal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Just got a GTX780Ti yet I can't seem to break 45FPS in fire fights on very high settings... Why is this game so unoptimized?

#2 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

What are the rest of your system specs?

#3 Father Dougal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostShamous13, on 12 November 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

What are the rest of your system specs?

8GB
AX750
Corsair Force GT 240.

#4 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

After I started having issues (2 , 4gig 680's) i submited all the needed logs and info only to be told that the game has issues with high end nvidia cards. Great right?

#5 Father Dougal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostJason Radick, on 12 November 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

After I started having issues (2 , 4gig 680's) i submited all the needed logs and info only to be told that the game has issues with high end nvidia cards. Great right?

Wonderful. Just had a game on Caustic and I hit 30FPS.

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

maybe give this a try. also I assume you have the most up to date drivers and you have checked your temps.

View PostHayashi, on 11 November 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

OP, unpark all cores and re-test.

http://www.coderbag....Parking-Utility

A possible cause of low FPS is core-park switching.

Your hardware should be sufficient for good performance if it was running at full performance. Ergo, chances are it is not running at full performance for some reason. Thermal throttling is usually a suspect. But your rig is running very cool, so that is unlikely to be the issue.

Edited by Shamous13, 12 November 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#7 Father Dougal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostShamous13, on 12 November 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

maybe give this a try. also I assume you have the most up to date drivers and you have checked your temps.

Max temp of 75'C, and the latest drivers.

#8 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ug: So the unhelpful answer is "nobody knows for shore;" But you do seem lined up for the "Keplers hate DX9" thing I've gotten once or twice.

The Magnum Overclockers should be along shortly, and they're not wrong, ether.

I seem to be straddling the "You Cores: Tehy Park" and "Weak user.cfg Detected" crowds. Right about here you should find most of what you need …

But there's always moar

:)

Edited by Goose, 12 November 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#9 rgreat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 851 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Try to reinstall game.

You expected to have ~100 FPS on 1080p res.

Edited by rgreat, 12 November 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#10 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostFather Dougal, on 12 November 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Just got a GTX780Ti yet I can't seem to break 45FPS in fire fights on very high settings... Why is this game so unoptimized?

A GTX780Ti, eh? And under 45FPS? I guess that's not The Way It's Meant To Be Played.

Seriously though, I feel your pain. Sinking so much $ in a new card and getting such performance... but yeah, what rgreat wrote.

#11 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Wow, that's pretty crappy for a 780ti. Do you have your 2600K overclocked at all? The game is very CPU-dependent so if you don't, you might want to consider raising the turboboost multipliers (which I think are set to 38 for the 2600K) up to 42. Shouldn't cause much more heat or power consumption, and it's very easy to do.

Also, very very basic I know but a lot of people forget - make sure your Windows Power Options are set to "High Performance" instead of "Balanced" or "Power Saver."

#12 Dreambreaker

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

I will say that that is damned weird. Have you checked the nvidia control panel, maybe something there that messes up the game?
In regard to DEMAX51, you can check to see if the CPU is the bottleneck fairly simply, just drop the resolution and details to minimum and try to play. If the FPS change is minimal, then it's your CPU that's the cause, not graphics card.

Also, out of curiosity, what GPU did you have before, and how did it perform in the game?

#13 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

With MW:O, once you pass a certain amount of GPU horsepower, you are more limited by the CPU than the GPU. You are way past that point with a 780 Ti.

My system:
4770 CPU
16GB RAM
GTX 780 GPU
256GB SSD
27" 2560x1440 LCD
Win7 64-bit
All in-game setting at very high
2560x1440 resolution
Full Screen

In your Nvidia Control Panel, go to the "adjust image settings with preview" screen, then click "use my preference emphasizing X" and move the slider all the way to Quality. Then click Apply and close out of the Control Panel.

With those settings, I get 90-110 FPS with no 'Mechs on screen depending on the map. It will dip to around 70 FPS if you look in certain directions on every map, even with no 'Mechs on screen. With many 'Mechs and explosions on screen, it can go down to about 55 FPS if you are looking in the "bad" direction.

And DEMAX51 has good advice as well. Also make sure you don't have your FPS limited by RivaTuner Statistics Server or other such programs.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 12 November 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#14 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 12 November 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Also make sure you don't have your FPS limited by RivaTuner Statistics Server or other such programs.

Let me contradict that advice: There's not a whole lot of point having a framerate above your monitors' refresh, so feel free to set it to … whatever it is your screen will do at that resolution.

I, while waiting for DX11, have found I can set a limit of 40~45, and turn my graphics settings up quite a bit; If I set to 50 (out of 70), I have to turn my graphics all the way down in order to have a stable framerate.

See: Being or Shooting at Light 'Mechs with a wildly fluctuating fps is problematic at best

But such is personal preference …

#15 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

That might work for systems that cannot handle full graphics options, but it does nothing at all for systems that can (or at least should) handle it. It means another program running in the background, and might actually make the over-powered GPU down-clock itself due to reduced demand. I tried it, and limited it to 60 FPS. When I did that, it seemed that the game went lower than 60 FPS more often than without that program. Perhaps a setting of 80 might have worked differently, but I just turned the program off.

I pilot lights 99% of the time and shoot at a lot of lights.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 12 November 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#16 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Again for the 100th time, GPU is not as critical as CPU and you will not see a major difference in the game performance with a GTX700 or HD7000 series card vs GTX600 or HD6000 and even some really good GTx400-500 and HD5000 cards. CPU core parking is an issue Unpark utility. Then to top it all off, this game and cryengine are not optimized or easy to optimize. Expect to have low FPS and way lower FPS then you'd expect on a high-end rig and get use to it. You might eek out some FPS with a few tricks, but spending $500+ on a new GPU will not get you significantly higher FPS.

#17 Dreambreaker

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

What I don't understand is how I can run the game at max settings (in game AA included) and have around 60 FPS no matter what happens on the screen. I mean I have a decent rig, but nothing compared to Father Dougal. For reference my PC is: i5-3570, GTX 760, 12 GB RAM, 1680x1050 display resolution. Is the difference in resolution really that punishing?

#18 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

A down-clocked GPU is a sign you've turned your graphics down too far, chasing a CPU bottleneck …

#19 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostDreambreaker, on 12 November 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

What I don't understand is how I can run the game at max settings (in game AA included) and have around 60 FPS no matter what happens on the screen. I mean I have a decent rig, but nothing compared to Father Dougal. For reference my PC is: i5-3570, GTX 760, 12 GB RAM, 1680x1050 display resolution. Is the difference in resolution really that punishing?

I know a lot of guys whom swear they get a steady 60 come hell or high water. I got one of them to play, with the in-game fps thing up while I watched over their shoulder.

If anything was happening on screen atoll, they were in the low-40s …

I believe many on the forums need to find a way to log their framerates for a whole game …

Edited by Goose, 12 November 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#20 Dreambreaker

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostGoose, on 12 November 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

I know a lot of guys whom swear they get a steady 60 come hell or high water. I got one of them to play, with the in-game fps thing up while I watched over their shoulder.

If anything was happening on screen atoll, they were in the low-40s …

I believe many on the forums need to find a way to log their framerates for a whole game …

Hmm, fair point. I have only watched my FPS in the first few minutes of a match, and then it was hitting 60 constantly. I will try to look at it during the whole match and then edit this post.

EDIT: Having ran FRAPS during some matches i have seen that my average FPS is around 55, with a very small percentage of frame times below 40 (and those mostly on Frozen City). Haven't tried HWinfo yet. So it may not be 60, but it ain't half bad actually, and still doesen't explain the lackluster 780Ti that started this post.

Edited by Dreambreaker, 13 November 2013 - 04:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users