Profanity Filter

28 replies to this topic

#1 MarkEwer

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

I know this has been talked about before, but we really need a filter for the in-game chat to block out some of the profanity. I would like to get my twin 11 year old boys into the game but there is currently nothing at all to help keep the game at a PG rating.

It seems to me that a simple blot out the most common swear words feature that you could turn on or off in the options menus should not really be that difficult to implement and if it is an option then you can leave it off if you want to listen to the ramblings of a profane *****.

I know a filter will not be perfect as no REGEX can ever fix stupid, but it could be an 80% solution and I think I could live with that.

----UPDATE----
Wow. The forums DO filter the posted content. I just got filtered for using the word I-D-I-O-T but the game itself won't filter anything...

Edited by MarkEwer, 08 November 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#2 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

If you are concerned about them being exposed to 'swearing' then well that's the least of your worries.

Topics in general chat that I have seen in MWO and are frequent topics in ANY ONLINE GAME OR INTERNET EXPERIENCE that is not very closely monitored;

Drugs and/or Drinking
Sexual Activities
Racial Slurs
Dirty Jokes
Etc... all...

If you are concerned about "swearing" then the topics at hand and the manner in which they are discussed on the internet should be plenty enough to keep your kids under the mommy blanket for a while to come.

#3 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 08 November 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

If you are concerned about them being exposed to 'swearing' then well that's the least of your worries.

Topics in general chat that I have seen in MWO and are frequent topics in ANY ONLINE GAME OR INTERNET EXPERIENCE that is not very closely monitored;

Drugs and/or Drinking
Sexual Activities
Racial Slurs
Dirty Jokes
Etc... all...

If you are concerned about "swearing" then the topics at hand and the manner in which they are discussed on the internet should be plenty enough to keep your kids under the mommy blanket for a while to come.

thanks for your valued input.

This attitude is exactly why we need one. Some parents actually still parent and it would be nice to have the option to turn on a chat filter for them. It's not YOUR decision (thankfully) on what is acceptable to another person's children. Why would you even care? This doesn't affect your game at all. There's absolutely no reason to have anything negative to say about this suggestion

#4 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

How can you play this Game and Not Curse? :)

#5 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Considering the game involves killing each other in giant robots.....ah forget it.

Most games have filters though so it is weird.

When my kids are at the age to play games as such they will have the moral compass to pay no mind to the stuff you can see and hear that may be inappropriate. Besides...kids hear much worse at school. One of mine just started kindergarten and I she has already come home saying some interesting things. However those interesting things she tells me about become teaching moments. She now knows certain things are not appropriate to say, at least for her age. Her mom and I are frikin sailors not around the kids.

So my point is your parenting skills will determine how the world effects them and if it is done right seeing a few bad words here and there isn't gonna hurt them.

I just dislike censorship in any form, especially language.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL, 08 November 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#6 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

Make it optional then it's cool.

Also....

******* **** balls

#7 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 08 November 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Considering the game involves killing each other in giant robots.....ah forget it.

When my kids are at the age to play games as such they will have the moral compass to pay no mind to the stuff you can see and hear that may be inappropriate. Besides...kids hear much worse at school. One of mine just started kindergarten and I she has already come home saying some interesting things. However those interesting things she tells me about become teaching moments. She now knows certain things are not appropriate to say, at least for her age. Her mom and I are frikin sailors not around the kids.

So my point is your parenting skills will determine how the world effects them and if it is done right seeing a few bad words here and there isn't gonna hurt them.

Censorship is common unfortunately, but in this case I'm talking about what Ghogiel said. A filter you can turn on. Most "edgy" games these days are coming various optional filters that parents can use to tone down things like this. I understand that's a bit harder to do in an online environment but I can't stand for someone to make statements like one of the players here did. Just because it's something he didn't like. He didn't even bother giving a constructive reason why, just basically ripped on the op for being more than a "here's the tv remote and $20" type parent.

As it stands now you ahve absolutely no way of controlling who your drop against with a block list to prevent players from being on your team or even a basic mute option.

#8 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

This game really needs an optional profanity censor in-game. Far more minors play the game than use the forums, but the forums have censorship?

Either that, or just let me turn the chat off entirely.

#9 HeavyRain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

God forbid our 11-year olds see words like "****" on their screen while they are using a gigantic machine of death and its multitude of lethal weapons to destroy the "enemy".

#10 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostHeavyRain, on 09 November 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

God forbid our 11-year olds see words like "****" on their screen while they are using a gigantic machine of death and its multitude of lethal weapons to destroy the "enemy".

Do you get the difference between 2 people talking through a chat box and the game? One is real, 2 real people talking to each other. The other is a purely fictional experience. Some of the language used towards each other in this game make's me sick and there should be a filter for it.

If a parent does not want their child exposed to bad language then who are you to say their wrong?

#11 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostSandpit, on 08 November 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

thanks for your valued input.

This attitude is exactly why we need one. Some parents actually still parent and it would be nice to have the option to turn on a chat filter for them. It's not YOUR decision (thankfully) on what is acceptable to another person's children. Why would you even care? This doesn't affect your game at all. There's absolutely no reason to have anything negative to say about this suggestion

My entire point is that the profanity itself is NOTHING compared to the subject matter being discussed.

Do you want some drunk guy talking about masturbation and how high he got last night to you kid? Cause that stuff happens all the time in MWO chat. "Cuss words" are the LEAST of your problems!

View PostCorralis, on 09 November 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

Do you get the difference between 2 people talking through a chat box and the game? One is real, 2 real people talking to each other. The other is a purely fictional experience. Some of the language used towards each other in this game make's me sick and there should be a filter for it.

If a parent does not want their child exposed to bad language then who are you to say their wrong?

I think it's wrong to dumb down the gameplay experience in a game that has a very largely adult audience so that people's children can play it.

Send the seed outside. If they aren't old enough for swearing and sexual discussion they aren't old enough for the internet.

#12 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

I would like to say that I can count the on one hand the amount of times people have discussed sexual content. Not quite all the time. Could you explain to everyone exactly why an optional filter would 'dumb down the gameplay experience'? That doesn't even make sense.

#13 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 08 November 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

I have to agree with Grips. You can't just expect a game to tailor itself to you. They are made with everyone's interest.

But instead of a Filter, (which can still allow bad words, or bad words spaced out. So really what's the point if your kid still learns those words?) just allow an option to turn off public Chat in the game. Some of us would rather like it off to begin with.

I can understand the urge to protect your child from the world. But as Grips pointed out, it's better to teach them right and wrong, then to simply force them to Ignore the 'wrong' and have to deal with it later in life. However, A filter won't do the job. Just turn off the chat. That way you can completely shield yourself from the incoming tips, praises, and Good Sportsmanship. While trying to ignore all the bad comments as well.

#14 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostHeavyRain, on 09 November 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Also this. The core tenant of the game is MURDERING PEOPLE. You're worried about your kids seeing **** and **** words?

YOU ARE PLUGGING THEM INTO A MURDER SIMULATOR
edit: bold italics underline font size - get it? did you read that line?

Priorities here are all totally screwed up.

View Post101011, on 09 November 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

I would like to say that I can count the on one hand the amount of times people have discussed sexual content. Not quite all the time. Could you explain to everyone exactly why an optional filter would 'dumb down the gameplay experience'? That doesn't even make sense.

Could you explain why every time there's a thread like this the "concerned parents" ignore everything that people say except where they can be attacked? Try responding to an actual point.

View PostEnzane, on 09 November 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

I can understand the urge to protect your child from the world.

I also understand this! I TOTALLY DO GET IT!

KEEP THEM OFF THE INTERNET IF THEY ARE TOO YOUNG!

Edited by Captain Stiffy, 09 November 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#15 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:14 AM

Why the big deal about allowing somebody else an option? If you don't turn it on it won't affect you at all.

#16 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostSandpit, on 08 November 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

. There's absolutely no reason to have anything negative to say about this suggestion

View PostMalleus011, on 09 November 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

Why the big deal about allowing somebody else an option? If you don't turn it on it won't affect you at all.

First, they came for the chatrooms.

View PostMalleus011, on 09 November 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

It's annoying and intellectually dishonest to believe that a profanity filter is "parenting".

The kids, if they are too young for 'cuss words' are too young for M U R D E R S I M U L A T O R S.

I would much rather it be a thing that children of too young an age are abstaining from rather than it be something that parents think is "OK" because it doesn't involve the word ****.

Teaching your kids that swear words are worse than murder will probably lead to them being very internally confused when they learn that swear words are not a big deal.

Edited by Captain Stiffy, 09 November 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#17 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

I'm sure PGI could handle this problem using their well known computer skills, even handedness, and past customer service history............

#18 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

***** that. I will **** a ***** *** ******* ever ****** ********* that.

**** ******* **** *** a ****** *** and sausage **** ******* * and ***** without ********* **** ******** with ***** Mickey mouse's *******.

#19 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostOni Ralas, on 09 November 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

***** that. I will **** a ***** *** ******* ever ****** ********* that.

**** ******* **** *** a ****** *** and sausage **** ******* * and ***** without ********* **** ******** with ***** Mickey mouse's *******.

Posted Image

#20 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

I can't argue against having a profanity filter for people who want it, but I never understood the reasons for having it. I really hate censorship of any type, especially language.

If your kids are 11, they've had worse conversations and learned worse words in school and from friends than from what MW:O will teach them. It's more important they recognize the words, and learn what is and isn't appropriate to use and when -- instead of just pretending they don't exist all together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users