The Hunchback...ii!

12 replies to this topic

#1 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

I have been looking over some battletech history and lore as of late. I found/was reminded of the HBK-II, and was curious as to how in the world this monstrous pop-tarting nightmare could possible be even close to something fun to play against. With the current mechanics in place how could you fight something like this with anything but luck?

For those of you who aren't quite in the know, this horrid little clan monster has TWO shoulder mounted UAC20's and jumpjets. Meaning that it would be a shorter, faster, and more nimble AC40, that has the ability to do 80 damage in the span of about a second while accruing about 25 heat.

It also has ERML, though they are hard to think about when the little monster is toating a double dose of the most powerful thing in MWO with some extras.

Edited by Deathsani, 13 November 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#2 C12AZyED

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

hehe that sounds pretty badass. maybe we'll see it one day, but dont hold your breath considering PGI's rate of development

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

Though, remember that those two AC20s have 6 barrels each, meaning the damage could be spread with torso twisting. That is, you could have if PGI had done the larger ACs properly.

#4 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

In TT it's armor was considered to be flimsy (2 tons more than a Commando)- in MW:O it will be a very easy to disarm. I imagine most pilots will strip one of the UAC/20s, or use lower caliber ACs.

#5 Vanguard836

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Can't say I recall it having jump jets, though the armor is extremely weak and it only having 2 tons of UAC 20 ammo total.

#6 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

The whole point of that mech was basically a duelling configuration.

A fight with a h2c is gonna be over in a few seconds one way our the other. It has no armor, and virtually no ammo. It is meant to be able to kill one other mech quickly, and then it is done.

#7 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostVanguard836, on 13 November 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Can't say I recall it having jump jets, though the armor is extremely weak and it only having 2 tons of UAC 20 ammo total.

http://www.sarna.net...i/Hunchback_IIC Lists a jump of 120 meters, but what is there is all I know of it.

#8 Vanguard836

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 13 November 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

http://www.sarna.net...i/Hunchback_IIC Lists a jump of 120 meters, but what is there is all I know of it.

Thanks for pointing that out, never noticed it before haha.

#9 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

The Hunchback... II!

View PostDeathsani, on 13 November 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

I have been looking over some battletech history and lore as of late. I found/was reminded of the HBK-II, and was curious as to how in the world this monstrous pop-tarting nightmare could possible be even close to something fun to play against. With the current mechanics in place how could you fight something like this with anything but luck?

For those of you who aren't quite in the know, this horrid little clan monster has TWO shoulder mounted UAC20's and jumpjets. Meaning that it would be a shorter, faster, and more nimble AC40, that has the ability to do 80 damage in the span of about a second while accruing about 25 heat.

It also has ERML, though they are hard to think about when the little monster is toating a double dose of the most powerful thing in MWO with some extras.
The opening post describes the Clan-built Hunchback IIC, but the thread title currently reads as a reference to either the HBK-2 (a largely-undescribed Star League era variant of the normal Hunchback, and the variant upon which the Hunchback IIC is based) or the Quasimodo (the IS-built Dark Age era successor to the normal Hunchback, effectively making it "the second-generation Hunchback"). :D

#10 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yes, I meant the clan version. I was posing the question as to how they are going to make this little guy without it jumping in brutalizing people. With the current meta it would take very little to make this guy more optimized for murder (dropping the erml in favor of one) or switching engines for more armor or just switching to uac10's. I am concerned that this will destroy the close range game. Even without modifications this mech could do very serious damage with just 15 shots.

#11 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

UAC/20's will destroy the game anyway since there's basically no way to counteract that kind of damage in a short span of time. For 2 less tons than a AC/20 you get to double tap for 40 damage. 2 together is only 24 tons and you'll be able to put 80 damage into a target in less than a second.

AC/40 mechs are already ridiculous now. Wait until people get their hands on UAC/80 mechs.

#12 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

The HBKIIC was primarily used for dueling as was mentioned already, however, the Clans also fielded them for combat but were only piloted by those who have committed some rather despicable and unforgivable crime. In short, any one assigned to pilot a HBKIIC was basically given a death sentence.

Its as slow as a regular stock HBK but with much less armor and on top of that it uses an XL Engine and has TWO large hunches which makes it impossible for it to protect its self. If the HBKIIC was ever put into MWO and the Devs managed to balance the UAC20s, no one in their right mind would ever use one of these other then for the suicidal death or glory bit by removing the ERMLs and JJs and stuff in a larger engine to maximize its "banzai charge" potential.

#13 akakiwu490

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMcTucky

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostCoralld, on 13 November 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

The HBKIIC was primarily used for dueling as was mentioned already, however, the Clans also fielded them for combat but were only piloted by those who have committed some rather despicable and unforgivable crime. In short, any one assigned to pilot a HBKIIC was basically given a death sentence.
This. Old pilots on garrison duty, too, IIRC. You don't want to be the clanner finding out you're in an Hunchback IIC.

I don't know how many of you play HBKs in MWO, but those things are fragile as get out. Early on I played nothing but my HBK-4J and -4Hs and while I had a good run in them, I spent as much time dead as I did blowing stuff up. If you take a current HBK into the middle of a firefight you better hope nobody is targeting you or its over ASAP.

When I played my 4H and ended up doing enough damage to **** off the heavies, I typically found myself without a hunch/side torso, and thus sans my main weapons, in very short order. From there it was just a matter of time before GG.

I can tell you that massive damage output or not, I'm not afraid of Hunchback IICs. By time they finish firing first round of salvos and their UACs are unjammed there is no UAC left to fire.

Edit: I realized that the issue with the IIC is exactly why I like BT so much. In a lot of games and IPs you can just load up on the best weapon with little recourse on the enemy's part. BT is about the tradeoffs and finding a good balance in your mech build. Something a lot of games don't bother with. Good stuff.

Edited by akakiwu490, 14 November 2013 - 06:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users