"pitbull" Range For Lrms.

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Should LRMs have a "pitbull" range? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Should LRMs have a "pitbull" range?

1. Yes (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. No (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Beyond visual range missiles in real life have a "Pitbull" range at which active sensors start to track the target and no longer need a lock from a separate radar. This is usually indicated by a "T" symbol on the hud.

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

"Real life" and "Realism" are pretty weak excuses for adding something to a game with giant bipedal stompy war robots. Is there a game mechanics reason you feel this should be implemented?

#3 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 14 November 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

"Real life" and "Realism" are pretty weak excuses for adding something to a game with giant bipedal stompy war robots. Is there a game mechanics reason you feel this should be implemented?

Reduces the amount of time you have to hold lock by X amount of time. Can be adjusted from 0 to X for balance fine tuning.

#4 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostSiliconLife, on 14 November 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Reduces the amount of time you have to hold lock by X amount of time. Can be adjusted from 0 to X for balance fine tuning.

I see. So you feel that LRMs need a little buff? Hmmm, well, as I have myself a couple of LRM boats, I wouldn't complain about buffing them a bit, but honestly, I feel like LRMs are balanced just about right now so this change wouldn't really be necessary so I'm gonna have to vote no, but that's just my personal opinion.

#5 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Voted yes, then thought about it. The missile would need an active radar to have this ability...
Right now they are semi-active, ie receiving target data from the launch platform. Makes sense.

#6 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

I like the idea of adding terminal independent tracking to LRMs. My take would be to have it kick in only if they have no legit* guidance coming in from the launch platform. If that happens then they should activate a close-range sensor (50m maybe) and auto-track the closest hostile signature in that envelope.

This would have a few side effects, such as empowering dumb-fire volleys, allowing for limited redirecting of volleys (if the original target moves outside of the engagement envelope or dies before impact), etc. It'd be a huge boon for LRMs in PUGs (I think, barring premades designed around them, LRMs are currently very hard to use well in PUGs), but might be too strong in 12-mans.

*legitemate guidance would mean the launch platform has a lock on the original target (since LRMs won't redirect to new targets if the subject of the lock is changed)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users