Module To Allow A Little More Armor

2 replies to this topic

#1 Pwnocchio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

I'm a little OCD about my mechs not wasting any tonnage. I want them to be exactly X tons on the nose where X = max tonnage for mech.

However, I often fail at achieving this. It would be nice if there was a module 'Reinforced Chassis' or 'Magnetic Plating' that allowed you to add up to ~5% of the mechs max tonnage in armor, not exceeding the mechs maximum chassis mass.

So for example, if I had a thunderbolt and it was currently 64.7 tonnes, this mod would allow me to add another 0.3 tons of armor to the mechs hit locations.

It kinda seems a bit under-powered on the surface (burning a whole module slot for this) but it would also add an another layer to strategic armoring. Hunchbacks could add another 8 armor to their haunch, assaults could add another 15 to their rear. Lights probably wouldn't use this.

Thoughts?

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

In your example why don't you just drop the armor by .2 tons which will put it at 64.5 and you can slap a CASE in there or upgrade the engine slightly, or free up one more ton for BAP or an AMS plus ammo.

Trust me, you won't even hardly notice the 3 points of armor (or whatever it works out to be) from each leg.

Edited by LauLiao, 15 November 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#3 Pwnocchio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostLauLiao, on 15 November 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

In your example why don't you just drop the armor by .2 tons which will put it at 64.5 and you can slap a CASE in there or upgrade the engine slightly, or free up one more ton for BAP or an AMS plus ammo.

• I only use AMS on that variant so I don't need case.
  • There are times when I you don't have available slots. In this case I can't fit a BAP and I already have an AMS.
  • For certain mechs it would be a meaningful boon to add 8 or 15 points to a mission critical hit location, like a hunchbacks right torso or any mech running XL to the side torsos

Edited by Pwnocchio, 15 November 2013 - 11:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users