My Pc & Mwo?

AMD FX 8320 performance 270x

9 replies to this topic

#1 Project Chaos

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

So, I'm building my first gaming PC soon, I was supposed to do it a while back, but something happened with my money situation & I had to wait about a month.

Now, the PC I was going to build is too expensive for my very tight budget ($700 + or - a few dollars).

So, since I don't know anything really about PC performance, especially when it comes to MWO, I was hoping you guys could tell me the performance I could expect from my build?

I'll be ordering it in about a week, the main specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD FX 8320 (8-core, 3.5GHz stock-speed, unlocked)
GPU: R9 270x (still looking at which brand to get, liking the Gigabyte windforce version so far)
RAM: G. Skill 8 GB @ 1600MHz, 9-9-9 timings

I was just wondering if this will play MWO "decently" and by that I mean high graphics & minimum FPS of 30 or more?

If not, do you know about the graphics/FPS I can expect on MWO from this build?

The main reason I'm building this PC is for gaming, I don't expect to play games like Crysis 3 on ultra settings, but I would like to play at a nice graphics level with stable FPS of preferably over 30.

Sadly, this is about all I can afford, it may not be the best, but as long as it games I'm happy. I originally wanted an i5 3570k but it's a little too expensive for my budget.

Plus I'm an AMD fanboy anyways because I'm always broke & AMD usually offer the best price/performance parts.

#2 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Should be able to handle 1080 everything on high and not dip below 30fps even under heavy action.

Make sure to update drivers for the 270x off the internet though, the ones in the box might be outdated already.

#3 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

Do yourself a favor with that CPU. The stock cooler is bad. We burned out one in my house earlier this month. It runs hot! I advise you also add a Corsair Hydro Series H60 water cooler on top of that. It will drop about 20C off your temps and save you buying a new cpu in about 6-8 months.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

If you take Macbrea's advice (honestly I keep my entire computer's side panel open and have a box fan blowing in toward the back so that I can keep mine cool), be sure to dig up videos on youtube about how to install them given that it's your first computer.

So you're aware, aside from ram my computer's actually half as good as what you're having put together (I do recommend raising that ram as it'd be the only thing holding you back from games like Crysis 3 on ultra) and I run MWO on "very high" just fine. Of course MWO caters to much lower end systems and as such there is very little difference between medium and very high.

Personally I've been advised by Lordred (the Perfect Screenshot thread) to get an R9 280x.

Hope to see you in the field to take a bite out of the competition.
Posted Image
Koniving's upgraded-stock Catapult K2. Build given here.
Shot by Lordred. (This image cannot be found in the perfect screenshot thread).

My benchmark. <--My rig is listed here.
Score of the R280x (note it registers as a 7970 on there, which is very similar).

Edited by Koniving, 15 November 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#5 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, I am running

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz
AMD Radeon 5700 HD
8 GiG G-Skill memory
SSD for games but HDD for windows install
Windows 7 - 64 bit install
And the H55 watercooler.

On medium, I run about 41 fps on high I drop to 32 fps. During the DX11 test my frames dropped to 28fps. So, you should be fine. It should run the game quite a bit better then mine.

But, like I said, just a month ago we burnt out exactly the same cpu in another machine using the stock cooler. Cryengine likes to run that CPU hot.

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

Better than my machine is and I get ~40 fps on medium graphics. Some maps are better than others.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

http://www.tomshardw...cking,3617.html

Also: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099 or http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835233082

#8 SantaDiego

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

om AMD-8350 + HD7850 2Gb at VeryHigh i never had less, then 30fps. 50fps is often.

About cooling... dont buy something expensive. Modern IceHummer (4401m for example) cooler will be nice. Thats about 30$. I use it with o\c 4,4 Ghz. No more, then 65 © degrees.

Have fun!

Edited by SantaDiego, 15 November 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#9 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Get at bare minimum a Kuler 620 if you go CLC, or get a Coolermaster Hyper 212+.

I have the FX-8320, but the rest of my rig is a little quicker, I am using the following.

FX-8320 (normally running 4500mhz)
Cooled by a Corsair H100, sorta unhappy with it, wish I still had my 9900Max
Mainboard: ASRock 990FX Profesional (larger voltage regulation)
G.Skill Sniper 1866 9-10-9 1.5v 8GB
eVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB (playing at 1920x1200, or when I want to take super screenshots, 3072x1920)
2x Crucial M4 256gb SSD.

You can get alot out of the FX, but dont hobble yourself with the R270

Lastly, and most important. Which Power Supply will you be using? Never skimp on power.

Edited by Lordred, 16 November 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#10 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostLordred, on 16 November 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Lastly, and most important. Which Power Supply will you be using? Never skimp on power.

FTR, he isn't kidding about "most important". The problem isn't just getting enough power to get the machine running, it's getting it to run without burning up the parts. Enough to boot up doesn't mean enough to run smoothly. Add up the recommended power requirements, and add some for a comfort zone, and then add some more in case you want to add another HD etc down the road.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users