Why Am I Unstable?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Mc JR

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

I have a fairly new computer (only 2 years old), specs to fallow. But me and my little bro have the same rigs, and both of us crash a few times a day playing MWO. but never in any other of the MMO's we play the most demanding being Planet Side 2. is there any tips or tricks to get this game to run better, I have tried to play on all settings and it does not help, still crashing a few times in a few hours.

Specs

Processor: Intel® Pentium® CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz

Memory 4 GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 v2

Graphics Memory: 1024 MB

23 inch Acer display set to 1920 x 1080 Resolution

Free hard drive space 67 GB / 297 GB

#2 Mc JR

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

Update in the past 30 min. I have crashed 5 times

#3 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Your CPU is pretty weaksauce, and while that card isn't amazing it's not as out of date as that processor...

Beyond that minor detail ;) try running the client repair tool, and from now on manually delete your shaders folder before opening MWO and every few hours of play...

http://mwomercs.com/...public-release/

Shaders folder located at: C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\USER\Shaders

Delete the whole folder, as a new one will ge generated as you open MWO, which will also in turn fill up with nonsense and need to be deleted again too.

Edited by Loc Nar, 16 November 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#4 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostMc JR, on 16 November 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Update in the past 30 min. I have crashed 5 times

Your biggest bottleneck is your memory, if you have Windows 7 x64, then you should upgrade to at least 8GB, if you have x32, don't waste your money.

Secondly, your graphics card is a bit low-end, so you should not set your graphics settings above medium at that resoluion. Also, MWO does not currently support SLI, so your second GPU is not being used.

Finally, it could be a heat issue, make sure your computer is properly cooled.

#5 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm thinking heat issue myself. The RAM is more than sufficient to run MWO, and while the CPU and GPU won't be netting 60fps on high, obsolescence there should merely cause performance problems, not outright system failures.

The other possibility is a low grade PSU providing insufficient or unstable power. If these were prebuilt machines, the PSU is almost certainly substandard.

OP, you should look at how your CPU and GPU temps are doing, and while you're at it, if possible, see how the 12v rail on your PSU is holding up (GPUZ can measure that on some systems).

Edited by Catamount, 16 November 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#6 Mc JR

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thanks guys will look into this. ;)

#7 BigD87

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hi im running on a windows 7 platform I have a dell dimension e510 computer with Intel Pentium 4 3.00 ghz /2.99 ghz chip 3.0 gigs of ram an nivida gefore gtx 650 graphics card and a new power supply at 500 watts was told upgrade all was go to run seems the frame rates in game aren't good enough running around between 7to 10 can anyone help me here on if that's a good graphics card or is there another problem im not seeing to tweek. Please anyone I need help

#8 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostBigD87, on 21 November 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

Hi im running on a windows 7 platform I have a dell dimension e510 computer with Intel Pentium 4 3.00 ghz /2.99 ghz chip 3.0 gigs of ram an nivida gefore gtx 650 graphics card and a new power supply at 500 watts was told upgrade all was go to run seems the frame rates in game aren't good enough running around between 7to 10 can anyone help me here on if that's a good graphics card or is there another problem im not seeing to tweek. Please anyone I need help

The 3Ghz Pentium 4's where released during early 2003 to early 2004. Your CPU is 10 years old. That fact that your computer is able to run the game, at all, is truly amazing! There is no way at all you'll get the game running at playable frame rates, I know you don't want to hear this but there is simply no software/driver solution to your problem. Your PC is just plain too old.

Edited by The Gunman, 27 November 2013 - 03:52 AM.

#9 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostMc JR, on 16 November 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

I have a fairly new computer (only 2 years old), specs to fallow. But me and my little bro have the same rigs, and both of us crash a few times a day playing MWO. but never in any other of the MMO's we play the most demanding being Planet Side 2. is there any tips or tricks to get this game to run better, I have tried to play on all settings and it does not help, still crashing a few times in a few hours.

OP,

Are you overclocking at all? (Even a little bit?)

What version nvidia drivers are you using?

Edited by The Gunman, 27 November 2013 - 03:55 AM.

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostThe Gunman, on 27 November 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

The 3Ghz Pentium 4's where released during early 2003 to early 2004. Your CPU is 10 years old. That fact that your computer is able to run the game, at all, is truly amazing! There is no way at all you'll get the game running at playable frame rates, I know you don't want to hear this but there is simply no software/driver solution to your problem. Your PC is just plain too old.

The Gunman is correct. The devs want to be able to have many older systems be able to run the game, but your CPU is too old.

You could could keep the same graphics card and upgrade the rest of the system. That would save you a little money, at least. If the rest of the system is as old as your CPU, you will need to replace all the parts.

#11 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Until you have finished upgrading your computer, try to boost your framerates by switching your screen resolution in MW:O to 1024x768, or whatever is the lowest limit. To do this, go to the options menu on the main page and click screen resolution and change it to the lowest value. Also, make sure that the windowed mode option is set to full screen. Set all of your graphical settings at lowest and see if the forced dx11 will help.

http://mwomercs.com/...-core-machines/

Follow these instructions and you should be able to eek out a couple more fps to bring your speed (hopefully) up to a decent 15 fps. I have played at this speed for a year so I should know that this is relatively playable. If you play at this fps, you should have problems with ballistics, but missiles and lasers shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Hope this helps!

#12 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

View Postshellashock, on 27 November 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Until you have finished upgrading your computer, try to boost your framerates by switching your screen resolution in MW:O to 1024x768, or whatever is the lowest limit. To do this, go to the options menu on the main page and click screen resolution and change it to the lowest value. Also, make sure that the windowed mode option is set to full screen. Set all of your graphical settings at lowest and see if the forced dx11 will help.

http://mwomercs.com/...-core-machines/

Follow these instructions and you should be able to eek out a couple more fps to bring your speed (hopefully) up to a decent 15 fps. I have played at this speed for a year so I should know that this is relatively playable. If you play at this fps, you should have problems with ballistics, but missiles and lasers shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Hope this helps!

Even that won't help. Lowering resolution helps with GPU bottlenecks, not CPU bottlenecks.

For the most part, a CPU will give the framerate it gives, and that's it. There's no way to improve it with game settings or what not. When you're talking something like a Pentium 4, that problem just gets severe and crippling. There is simply no way to get any game from the last few years to run on a chip like that.

If this was a Core2Duo or something, then the DX11 thing would possibly help at least, but not with a Pentium 4.

Edited by Catamount, 28 November 2013 - 10:21 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users