Gauss: Enhanced Charge-Up (True Bow Style)

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Enhanced Charge Up Gauss (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see Enhanced Gauss Charge Up in the game? (as outlined below)

1. Yes (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Other (explain below) (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bobdolemite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMariana Trench

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

IMO the Gauss charge-up mechanic does not make it a "better" sniper weapon, only harder to use in a close combat situation.

In many games the sniper class has to use some sort of charge/breathing mechanic to increase the time it takes for them to lineup a pinpoint shot. Otherwise snipers would simply overpower other classes out of sheer damage potential.

Playing Planetside 2 got me to thinking about how the Gauss mechanic could be changed to be both more meaningful than the current system, while at the same time actually making it a better sniper weapon.

////

Gauss Charge to Fire Expanded (bow style):

Gauss would do weapon damage based on how long charge is held: from 2 up to a maximum of 18

0.25 seconds 2 dmg -----------------------------2.75 seconds 18 dmg

(weapon cooldown triggers after each shot or overcharge)

If you attempt to hold the charge longer than 2.75 seconds the capacitor explosively discharges the round (harmlessly) causing damage to the rifle and outlying components

The scale would be graduated so that its damage climbs toward the upper end of the charge spectrum rather than lower (making it more likely to do less damage if the charge is held for a short time)

///

This would retain some snap-shot ability for the Gauss while rewarding players who line up a long range shot with good damage. The explosion mechanic is there to add risk for people who charge for full damage shots.

This is in essence a true wind-up bow style approach that does more damage the longer held, IMO this would make it a unique sniper weapon retaining the charge-up aspect but rewarding its expert use with increased damage.

I am open to any suggestions the damage and charge up times were thought up on the fly and could be improved.

Edited by Bobdolemite, 24 November 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#2 Thedrelle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

I kinda like this idea

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sounds like the PPC in Mechwarrior 3050; SNES (Battletech; Genesis). The issue with this is that you could rapidly charge and fire dozens upon dozens of minimum damage shots. There'd likely have to be a minimum charge time, but given how short the charge time is anyway, it sort of defeats the purpose. It also required a shot limit for PPCs on that game (ammo for a PPC, scary!)

It'd be an interesting thing to try, but it has some issues. Honestly I'd like it if instead of that, there was simply a firing delay. 3/4ths of a second and it fires so it'll always reliably fire. Of course I'd like it if PPCs had such a mechanic too, with a different timing.

#4 Bobdolemite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMariana Trench

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

in my imagining of it the weapon cooldown would be in effect after each shot (added this to the MT)

I think the limiting aspect of ammo (only 10 per ton) limits its ability to dole out nightmarish snap damage, it could technically be used in many different ways though if the charge-up damage was applied. Some might do well to use it for a 5+ type of damage while others will want to go the full monty.

Attempting to use it for less than full damage though would be a waste of slots/tonnage as the same job could be accomplished much better with ac2, ac5 etc =)

Thinking about changing instant to 0.25 interval, that might help a bit too..

Edited by Bobdolemite, 24 November 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#5 Bobdolemite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMariana Trench

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

I still like this idea =) surprised no one else did, at least gauss would be more fun in this incarnation.

#6 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 November 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

Sounds like the PPC in Mechwarrior 3050; SNES (Battletech; Genesis). The issue with this is that you could rapidly charge and fire dozens upon dozens of minimum damage shots. There'd likely have to be a minimum charge time, but given how short the charge time is anyway, it sort of defeats the purpose. It also required a shot limit for PPCs on that game (ammo for a PPC, scary!)

It'd be an interesting thing to try, but it has some issues. Honestly I'd like it if instead of that, there was simply a firing delay. 3/4ths of a second and it fires so it'll always reliably fire. Of course I'd like it if PPCs had such a mechanic too, with a different timing.

Is Mechwarrior 3050 the game with the Mad Cat and you get to pick a bunch of weapons and power ups? I forgot by now, it's been a long time.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Postluxebo, on 24 November 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Is Mechwarrior 3050 the game with the Mad Cat and you get to pick a bunch of weapons and power ups? I forgot by now, it's been a long time.

Yep. And Marauders for enemies along with Kitfoxes.

#8 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Ok, thanks for the info again Koniving. Been really a long time since I've played that. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users