- - - - -

Faction Choice

12 replies to this topic

#1 MechFang2106

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I don't know which faction to choose so please help. I love my Stalker and Spider so which factions like those mechs and I will choose. Thank you on advance. Have a nice day!

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

It doesn't matter right now which faction you go with because they have absolutely no bearing on anything currently. Hopefully the dev's will let us know before it does matter why it will matter. Read up on it then and make your decision. Until then, happy hunting.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

Not currently relevant.

Ask again when they ad some faction warfare content.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Other than "lore", there isn't anything that a faction can really give to you at this point and time. Later on it will affect things such as prices for certain mechs, repairs and ammo (if that returns, big if), and other assorted details. For info on what it might affect, watch this.

But otherwise, you have at least 3 to 6 months before it matters.

These vids (made by someone else) cover the basic history. While it introduces the names and labels it doesn't give much specific info on the factions. Merely the reason behind their fighting and the origin of the "clans."

#5 tredmeister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

The factions link on the game tab has a bit of info of the various houses. http://mwomercs.com/game/factions

I have found that both http://www.sarna.net , and http://www.solaris7.com are great resources for info.

For instance, Solaris7 shows faction availability for the various mechs.

Stalker example.: http://www.solaris7....fo.asp?ID=14136

#6 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

Most people that run with 'faction' tags presently are people who have played the Battletech Universe before and have an affinity to a particular faction from its lore and are a personal choice right now, most of the factions have a variety of followers/units set up waiting for CW and the depth of factional warfare.

As pointed out right now though, faction choice doesn't have any effect on gameplay in any way other than giving you an in game flag. Almost all the players I know, know off, or meet in the game from various factions are all good people. I may not personally like there faction for lore reasons, but doesn't mean I wouldn't play with them.

Your best bet is to find people you like to play with and worry about the factions later.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:35 AM

View PostManaValkyrie, on 20 November 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

Most people that run with 'faction' tags presently are people who have played the Battletech Universe before and have an affinity to a particular faction from its lore

I picked Kurita because it's red and black. :)

#8 IlmariArtificer

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

As people have pointed out Factions don't do anything right now.

Af for why which faction? Some people choose a faction based on the lore from Battletech, some choose based on geography/culture/whatnot and some choose purely on design.

For me the Rasalhague Republic seemed like a natural choice. It's one of the few true democracies in the lore and a lot of players from the Nordic nations gravitate towards it.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostIlmariArtificer, on 20 November 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

For me the Rasalhague Republic seemed like a natural choice. It's one of the few true democracies in the lore and a lot of players from the Nordic nations gravitate towards it.

You really chose it because it's the first to be conquered / merged with Clan Ghost Bear, who freely integrates their tech with Rasalhague's to make up for the fact that Rasalhague has no in-house production capabilities (prior to that, they buy all their tech and mechs from factories owned by other groups). :)

#10 IlmariArtificer

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

Actually no, I chose the FRR because the lore mentions that Finns went there and as a result Finnish players tend to choose FRR (Standard reaction for many Finns. "We are mentioned! Clearly this is our faction!"). I don't particularly care much about the clans although the Bear are a nice bunch in comparison to some.

Oh wait, a smilie face. You were joking. Err... Carry on then.

Edited by IlmariArtificer, 20 November 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Well there's that too. Same is the story of Steiners and Germans. Kuritas and the Japanese. Liao and the Chinese.

Personally I probably would have chose Davion, but Zhizhu has some fan-lore that's about older than half my life span that one of the original guys came up with, so I went with that.

The irony is I was recruited while using a joke build that got me 5 kills on the "unplayable Caustic Valley", running single heatsinks (wasn't many doubles back then, expense + repair = bankruptcy) and 9 SPLs chain fired like non-stop machine guns. As everyone around me shut down time and time again, I just kept on trucking taking them out. Though worse, of the two friends I was playing with, the other that joined wound up getting a leadership position some months later where I didn't. :'(

Honestly I do find some merits in the Capellan Confederation. Though we'll have trouble holding it with the Davions in the way and constantly under assault by the Draconis Combine, the Liao do get almost exclusive access to most of the materials required in repairing and refurbishing Ravens. The Liao also designed the Cataphract and get the best versions of it. We also have the monopoly on mediums and lights and are renown in lore for having mechs that never stop attacking even after all the body parts are torn from us.

#12 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

I asked this question a long time ago. Well my question was more like "what would you do to convince people to join your faction?"

Best answer was from Steiner a picture of girls holding up huge steins and a caption of WE GOT BEER!!!!

#13 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostJohnny Marek Summers, on 20 November 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I asked this question a long time ago. Well my question was more like "what would you do to convince people to join your faction?"

Best answer was from Steiner a picture of girls holding up huge steins and a caption of WE GOT BEER!!!!

The we beat you because we have... threads get amusing to say the least and almost every faction somewhere has a good pic like that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users