- - - - -

Turning

5 replies to this topic

#1 Croweater

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

I just signed up, and I'd like to change the nature of the controls. Is there any way to set A and D to just turn legs, not the whole mech? I'd like to be able to press A to run left, but keep my sights right where they are. As it is, when I press A, the whole unit turns left, and I have to use my mouse to counter the movement, which causes inaccuracy. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

The torso stays with the legs unless you move the mouse. Just like when you (the player) walk -- unless you counter the leg movement by deliberately moving your torso, you face where your legs go.

You will get used to movement in MW:O within a few matches.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 16 November 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#3 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostCroweater, on 16 November 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

As it is, when I press A, the whole unit turns left, and I have to use my mouse to counter the movement, which causes inaccuracy. Any suggestions?

Battlemechs are mulit-ton tanks on legs and not really anything like a person in a mech suit. The torso may be most of the mech, but it is effectively a turret. The legs operate much like the treads or wheels do in a conventional tank. That means, unfortunately, the only way to keep your aim steady on a target is to turn your torso opposite the way you turn you legs like you described. Yes, it does cause some inaccuracy.

But the good news is that it's the same way with your opponent. In order for him to keep his aim steady on you, he has to move his torso opposite the way he turns his legs as well. So it's pretty much a part of the game.

It is probably worth going into the testing grounds and running circles around some unmanned targets just to practice aiming. Practice makes perfect, after all. While you are there, you might also want to experiment with the mouse sensitivity in the game options. Because you constantly need to move your aim, having the sensitivity set right can help with the accuracy a lot. There is is not much else you can do except upgrade your hardware.

#4 Toadflakz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostKonril, on 16 November 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

There is is not much else you can do except upgrade your hardware.

And what Konril means by this is not upgrading your gaming hardware/PC, but the 'mech that you're piloting by upgrading the skill tree for the particular mech chassis you're in which improves things like turn rate, braking, heat containment, twist speed and so on.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

sorry, there is no way to have the legs turn without also turning the torso. This is something you need to accommodate with player skill via the mouse torso control. Keep practicing!

#6 norhymes

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

As others have said, keep practicing.

The controls will become natural after some time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users