Vibro Mines

14 replies to this topic

#1 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

How about a Mod that allows you to drop 4 vibro mines off your mech, If coupled with Artillery Strike and/or Airstrike it could really tip the scales. Also it would allow the assaults to have another defence against lights

#2 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

Not possible right now, but destructible non-player-objects are somewhere on the devs' list.

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:12 AM

Oh - you can simple add: Thunder LRMs would be enough for the start. (FASCAM - deployable minefield)

Vibro Mines are not so good:
a light mech can pass through a mine field while an Assault can cause an explosion much earlier.

#4 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 18 November 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

Oh - you can simple add: Thunder LRMs would be enough for the start. (FASCAM - deployable minefield)

Vibro Mines are not so good:
a light mech can pass through a mine field while an Assault can cause an explosion much earlier.

They could be tunned to a certain weight range if you like, 20-55t = boom 60-100 no boom or just make them 20-100 boom. they could do a lot with it.

Before Thunders I would like to see the Infernals brought into the game. the SRM rounds that are packed with Napalm. that add, well in this game, 2% heat per hit lasting 10-15 seconds. Would make the flamer almost obsolite.

#5 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

My thoughts on mines:

You should add a module to counter/disable/detect (detected mine positions shared with team members) enemy mines otherwise, i guess, a lot of players (including me) would be annoyed by mines or wondering what hit them.

It should be possible to lay out large minefields (50-200 diameter with associated mine density) which can be used for area denial.

Mines should be easily destroyable (also undected mines).

#6 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

"How about a Mod that allows you to drop 4 vibro mines off your mech, If coupled with Artillery Strike and/or Airstrike it could really tip the scales. Also it would allow the assaults to have another defence against lights"

I proposed a similar idea for Assault defence some time ago. My idea was that the Assault would be able to fire a spread of Grenades in a 50m circle when it was under attack by lights that were circling it. Each Grenade would have the same effect as an AC 5 Round and so wouldn't necessarily take out the light but would definitely damage it. To make this fair, I also excepted that their would be splash damage to the Assault; however it's armour would obviously absorb this.

What I like about your Vibro mines is that they wouldn't necessarily detonate unless they sensed vibration whereas my Grenades would automatically detonate after a few seconds.

#7 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

@Oppressor:
That radial grenade-launcher isn't canon and therefore not balanced with respect to the rest of the whole game. AND making up 1 piece of tech will lead to more and more non-canon tech until it's no longer Battletech.

And mine-fields carry the risk that the teams would use them to clog the bases, completely altering the dynamics of the game-modes.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:27 AM

Well. clogging up the bases with mines would be a valid tactic... but it should have its own risk. Maybe if the capping mechanics were to be changed to "you have to destroy the base with X amount of damage" instead of "sitting in the box for x length of time".

This way a mine field could be blown up by the opponents and add to the damage caused to your own base.

EDIT: This is just me brainstorming the possibilities... not saying im completely convinced of mines being adde ontop of the rain of death Air and Artillery strikes we already have.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 19 November 2013 - 04:56 AM.

#9 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Clogging up choke-points with mines is a valid and fair tactic. Clogging the one spot where the enemy has to stand with mines is no fair tactic.

My suggestion: Thunder-LRMs have way less ammo per ton than conventional LRMs. Maybe 2-4 salvos from an LRM20 per ton. And make them detectable only if you are closer than 100m, more if you have Beagle.

#10 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 19 November 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Clogging up choke-points with mines is a valid and fair tactic. Clogging the one spot where the enemy has to stand with mines is no fair tactic.

My suggestion: Thunder-LRMs have way less ammo per ton than conventional LRMs. Maybe 2-4 salvos from an LRM20 per ton. And make them detectable only if you are closer than 100m, more if you have Beagle.

Great conversations so far, thank you for the positive energies. That being said. Thunder Munitions. What would keep you from walking out 500m and then dead firing them at your base. Perhaps if there was a three minute life span and then the mine detonate. That's a little off Canon but within reasonable limits.

As it stands right now the Base Points look like some kind of oil well. How about a minimum safe distance for deploying mines, say 300m from the well and as Rushin Roulette suggested make it so you had to destroy the enemy base, not capture it. It wouldn't take much to put a few static AMS around it to keep the enemy from just LRMing it from max range.

Great Ideas so far though. Keep it up.

#11 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

Remember: If you shoot an LRM-salvo at the ground, the points of impact will form a dotted line. And each mine will only deal as much damage as the missile would have done. -> Thunder-minefields won't be very dense in terms of damage. A light Mech could run through the narrow side of a minefield with moderate damage to his legs.

It will be depend on balancing and player-skill, whether he can lay a thunder-minefield of proper shape and density and in the place where he wants it to be.

#12 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

I would be all for it but there needs to be a counter to it as well. Maybe a module along the lines of seismic that could detect them and then be shot and cleared by mechs?

#13 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostSandpit, on 20 November 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

I would be all for it but there needs to be a counter to it as well. Maybe a module along the lines of seismic that could detect them and then be shot and cleared by mechs?

not a bad idea.

#14 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Good thread, good ideas!

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'd also scale the mines

15-25 ton weight trigger only does xx damage
25-40 does a little more
40-60 does a little more
60-80 does a little more
80-100 does a little more

The trade-off is that a 75 ton mech walking over an 80 ton mine won't set it off but will do more damage than a 20 ton mine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users