• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

View Post627, on 22 November 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

Military tactics is one thing, gettin' upset because people find it lame that someone hides in the back to don't get shot and so calling him "coward" is another. That's what I mean by saying leave the real life out ;)
So fighting smart is cowardly in a game? Man the thinking of some folks is amazing...
Sirlin:

the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations "cheap." So-called "cheapness" is truly the mantra of the scrub.

Actually it's not hard to get a long range kill either. You can lurm them to death or just pack dual gauss and there you go. Maybe mix a PPC ar some ER-LL in there and you're still pretty dangerous in every range.
Yup, but why wait till I see the glow of your cockpit if I can kill you when you look like a sewing needle? :huh:

I think this is the greatest issue we have, not only here but nearly in every online shooter. Can all be broken down to:
  • "If players cannot handle being killed"
Look at BF3, they didn't had a sniper problem but there were some "OP"-Weapons for close quarters. Those 14year olds cried to hell and back to mommy only to get all weapons nerfed down to nearly the same level.
That is a terrible shame.

(Newer) gamers nowadays are so conditioned to win and to always win and get help everytime they struggle just a little bit that they can't stand a defeat. The game has to be broken if you can't win anymore, all the time.
37 years playing in competitive games and sports, What I see and hear here, is seriously nothing more than poor sportsmanship.

And just to prove this development, anyone saw "ryse" for xbox one? there are finishing quicktime events, even if you fail to hit that flashing button the finisher succeeds, no matter if you press or not. Or take call of duty covert ops, you could do the game without shooting anyone (beside one script where you have to), justrun with the pack.
Then there is Witcher2 an RPG single player game that is a tough as nails makes no excuses beast of a game. I never player a game that forced me to at Noob before this one.

This is the problem here, not some "long rang is not viable" - it's hard to say that but the right answer here imho is:

Learn 2 play.
No. The answer is, you will die, Learn to lose with dignity! :D

#102 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

People have to stop thinking in typical FPS roles here.

In this game youre not a sniper youre a mech... a mech that can be fully costomized and have multiple weapons installed at once.

In a tank game you can have snipers, cause tanks only have one gun.

In FPS you can have snipers, because sniper rifles are unwieldy and usually are very bad at being used while on the move.

That is why sniping in those games work, they have many drawbacks and require a special playstyle.

In MWO however there are no real sniping weapons.

There are long range weapons and then there are shorter range weapons.

Even the stupid "charge" of the gauss rifle did not much to prevent it from being usable at medium or short ranges, unless youre trying to hit a spider or something equally small and fast. But against any other mechs? They are big enough that you will hit them anyways.

The reason why sniper rifles arent used in short ranges in other games is because quite frankly they suck at these ranges. They have no iron sight, they are usualy one shot with long reload times and leave you open for a long time and their accuracy at shorter range is abysmal.

All these drawbacks dont exist in MWO and aslong as these drawbacks arent existant there should be no "sniping"

Edited by Riptor, 22 November 2013 - 05:28 AM.

#103 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

View PostRiptor, on 22 November 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

In this game youre not a sniper youre a mech... a mech that can be fully costomized and have multiple weapons installed at once.

In FPS you can have snipers, because sniper rifles are unwieldy and usually are very bad at being used while on the move.

That is why sniping in those games work, they have many drawbacks and require a special playstyle.

In MWO however there are no real sniping weapons.

There are long range weapons and then there are shorter range weapons.

Even the stupid "charge" of the gauss rifle did not much to prevent it from being usable at medium or short ranges, unless youre trying to hit a spider or something equally small and fast. But against any other mechs? They are big enough that you will hit them anyways.

The reason why sniper rifles arent used in short ranges in other games is because quite frankly they suck at these ranges. They have no iron sight, they are usualy one shot with long reload times and leave you open for a long time and their accuracy at shorter range is abysmal.

All these drawbacks dont exist in MWO and aslong as these drawbacks arent existant there should be no "sniping"

From How Stuff works:

What Does a Sniper Really Do?

A sniper is a highly trained soldier who specializes in shooting targets with modified rifles from incredibly long distances. They're also adept in stealth, camouflage, infiltration, and observation techniques.[/color]

Military snipers are used in a variety of missions on the battlefield, and the sniper's primary mission has nothing to do with pulling a trigger. The main battlefield role of the sniper isreconnaissance. Because snipers are masters of stealth, they are perfectly suited to sneak behind enemy lines to provide command with information about the enemy's size, strength and location.[/color]

When the mission calls for it, snipers can also dismantle and dishearten the enemy with a few well-placed rifle shots. Instead of engaging the entire enemy force like traditional infantry, snipers concentrate their efforts on hunting key people -- officers, pilots, armor drivers, technicians, and communications operators. With deadly shots that kill without warning, military snipers break both the enemy's will and ability to fight.

When there is no specific objective, a sniper will look for targets of opportunity. By tracking enemy movements, snipers wait patiently for the unsuspecting soldiers to present the opportunity for a perfect shot. An officer taking a break to smoke a cigarette, a pilot flight-checking his helicopter, an armed guard on patrol -- these are all targets of opportunity.[/color]

"You want to take out what's going to help your buddies the most." This is what Army Ranger Sniper had to say on selecting targets of opportunity. He continues:
... When you're in the military, you have experience knowing how a commander acts. You know a private -- a private Joe Nobody is generally going to be sitting behind a mound or sitting in a hole with his weapon. You can tell who's who by looking -- 'Okay, this guy's in charge and that guy's a nobody' -- just because of the way they act. That's one of the reasons in the field you're not supposed to salute officers. Say, in the field, you're sitting there looking and some guy walks by and salutes somebody and then, 'BAM' -- you know he's an officer. That's one of those things you pick up on.

Snipers are also utilized in support roles. These support roles can be an over-watch position or a blocking action. When a sniper is in an over-watch position, he sets himself up in a concealed place that gives him a clear view of the battlefield. There he can support the assault force by taking out enemy forces that are endangering the advancing platoon. In a blocking action, snipers set up to help secure a position that is controlled by their platoon. They may set up on a roof and help ground forces defend their position.

Snipers don't just shoot people. They are often ord­ered to destroy material targets. A sniper may shoot generators, radios, transmitters, or fuel and water supplies. Putting a .50 caliber round in the engine block of a helicopter or transport is just as effective as putting one in the man who drives them.

Snipers are what military strategists refer to as force multipliers. Simply put, a force multiplier is an individual or small team that, through the use of special tactics, can do the damage of a much larger force. What's amazing about snipers is that they are capable of force multiplication without ever directly engaging the enemy.

Because of the nature of their missions, snipers travel with very little gear, patiently moving under the cover of brush or night. But they never travel alone. Snipers teams often have to stay completely still for hours or days at a time to avoid detection, waiting for the right moment to take the shot. In the next section, we'll learn how sniper teams work together to achieve "the perfect shot."

ARMY RANGER SNIPER

In the interest of privacy, the Army Ranger sniper we interviewed for this article asked not to be named; he will be referred to as Army Ranger Sniper for the duration of this interview.
Now since we do not have the full game to play at this time, A Sniper will just have to settle for trying to kill us from long range with the weapons we have. ;)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 22 November 2013 - 05:35 AM.

#104 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

One unorthodox method that I have found to at least get a feel of sniping at range is to use my Recon Spider as a Forward Observation Officer (FOO) Artillery Spotter.

I first discovered how effective this could be in Alpine. Our Lance had started out from the high ground base; splitting into two sub groups I had come up on the chatline to let everyone know I was Recon (almost no weapons, just a MG Array and AMS) and would make for the highest hill I could find so that I could use the 4xZoom and TI system to locate the enemy and send back tactical information.

I had been doing this for a while and noticed some movement back at our DZ, now a good 2.5km away from my location. Almost as an afterthought, I had fitted an Artillery Strike Module to the Spider, just to test it out. The thought occurred to me, hang on a minute, is there a range restriction on Artillery?

I could make out to lights which had settled around the resource collector, just sitting there Capping. I lined up the cross wire and hit Home (It would be really great if by doing this a message was displayed on the Chatline to our own Lance saying "Fire Mission Battery, Grid D6 (I'm probably asking too much)). The rounds hit home and they started to run around in disarray, one of them now smoking. The beauty of it was they didn't have a clue of where I was.

Spider, Sniper at Heart
Posted Image

Edited by Oppresor, 22 November 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#105 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostRiptor, on 22 November 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

I have a Spider 5D packing an ERPPC as its sole weapon. I position said Spider 5D really far away from and way above enemy positions. I relay audio and digital information about the enemy to my team, while at the same time seeking targets of opportunity. Can I call myself a sniper? :D

#106 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Mystere, you are most definitely a Sniper or maybe a Recon Sniper. Keep up the good work.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users