#21 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 November 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

There is no reason to force a brawl in the current meta. You can do 40 pinpoint damage with a sniping build. So why would you ever want to brawl? Brawling just exposes you to damage you wouldnt have to take if youre sniping instead.

The only way brawling is viable is if brawling builds can do substantially more damage than sniper builds. That used to be true when SRMs did massive damage. But without strong SRMs brawling has no real advantage over sniping... youre doing comparable damage while exposing yourself more. Its pointless.

Just curious, what build does 40points of pinpoint damage at 700m?

#22 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

OP wants to camp far, far away from his lance/team mates and have the ability to take out mechs like those who brawl...ummm, no. sorry. Please play some other game. Reminds me of the "snipers" in BF3 that would run to the very far corner, usually more than one of them too, and waste player slots taking pot-shots at the enemy instead of contributing in some meaningful way.

...OP, you should go play BF3/BF4 instead! It has EXACTLY what you are looking for!

Edited by JSparrowist, 18 November 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#23 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostJaguar Prime, on 18 November 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'm not talking about 500m and 660m midrange game that some of you guys call sniping. I'm talking about shooting from 800m+ minimum.

Maybe I'm not playing at an Elo high enough to see it being as viable as brawling or as viable as midrange (500m-660m). In my opinion, Long range and short range should be equally viable.

It seems to me that most of the recent changes and nerfs , have the intended or unintended consequence of moving engagement distances closer together. I also noticed that most people championing the changes or are, at least happy with them, prefer close combat.Truthfully, I hate brawling. So I have to ask, What about my style of play?

I hear ya... If they brought back thermal vision to the way it was before I would use gauss over 1000+ meters again. I think the visibility has a lot to do with it.

#24 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

"sniping" should be banned from being mentioned in online games, you're not a sniper... go sit in a bush for 4 days staring at a field with orders not to fire, then hike for a few dozen miles in the presence of nothing. Now you're a lil closer

#25 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostJSparrowist, on 18 November 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

OP wants to camp far, far away from his lance/team mates and have the ability to take out mechs like those who brawl...ummm, no. sorry. Please play some other game. Reminds me of the "snipers" in BF3 that would run to the very far corner, usually more than one of them too, and waste player shots taking pot-shots at the enemy instead of contributing in some meaningful way.

...OP, you should go play BF3/BF4 instead! It has EXACTLY what you are looking for!

Actually I have never played BF3 or BF4. I did play MW3 and I played MW4 competitively. For an IS House that relied on The range of the Light Guass to compete with clan tech.

#26 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

I guess the question becomes what do you mean by viable?

How much damage are you looking to do and in what way? Are you expecting a one-shot alpha strike kill? Are you looking to do sustainable long-range, direct surpression fire? There was a time not long ago when the snap shot alpha was heavily over present and had very few downsides when it came to fighting up close.

What are you looking for and how do you propose implementing this without reducing the ability of short range builds to function more effectively in their element?

#27 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostDeathsani, on 18 November 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I guess the question becomes what do you mean by viable?

vi·a·ble

/ˈvīəbəl/
adjective
adjective: viable
1.capable of working successfully; feasible.

^^^Assuming he is using proper English I would have to assume that the above is what he means by viable. And with that being the case sniping is in fact very viable.

#28 Entail

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostJaguar Prime, on 18 November 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Just curious, what build does 40points of pinpoint damage at 700m?

You have obviously not experienced the 2 ER PPC, 2 GR firebrand.

#29 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Any build that is capable of one shotting somebody from distance has been nerfed. And many viable builds using the same weapons have been hurt because of that....

So no you cannot do it.

#30 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostJaguar Prime, on 18 November 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

lol, I can hit mechs at extreme range, can you?

I pilot light 'Mechs, which tend to not be the best snipers. However, I do take an ERLLas build every day for the 2x XP and hit out to 1200 meters or more without using Advanced Zoom.

I get hit every day by people firing from 800+ meters away. Killed? No. But I definitely take hits from those ranges.

#31 SniperCon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

For those wanting to one-shot from long range there are plenty games out there with squishy targets. There are still weapons effective at 800+ meters, just don't expect to fire 4 of them at once very often.

#32 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

@OP

You are right. MWO is back to huggy bears at 300 meters. The only approved weapon for sniping is the AC2. They just want that 400 meters or less pot shot game.

Too bad, MWO was looking awesome before all the goofy nerfs removed any chance of tactical choice in lance deployment.

Edited by Lightfoot, 18 November 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#33 Kazairl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

It is not that sniping isn't viable, there are just not that many places on maps were you can see enemy mech out to those ranges. Most players stay in cover until they are inside their ideal range.

#34 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 November 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

You are right. MWO is back to huggy bears at 300 meters. The only approved weapon for sniping is the AC2. They just want that 400 meters or less pot shot game.

Too bad, MWO was looking awesome before all the goofy nerfs removed any chance of tactical choice in lance deployment.

lol

Yes, sniping has been totally eradicated. Our plan for brawlers to take over the world has succeeded.

If you actually believe that, you don't know what you're talking about.

View PostKazairl, on 18 November 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

It is not that sniping isn't viable, there are just not that many places on maps were you can see enemy mech out to those ranges. Most players stay in cover until they are inside their ideal range.

There are plenty of places on pretty much every map to snipe from.

We have simply learned to avoid many long-range firing lanes due to the overabundance of snipers.

#35 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostKhobai, on 18 November 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

We need working SRMs to restore brawling back to its rightful place.

Fixed it for you

#36 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostJaguar Prime, on 18 November 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'm not talking about 500m and 660m midrange game that some of you guys call sniping. I'm talking about shooting from 800m+ minimum.

Maybe I'm not playing at an Elo high enough to see it being as viable as brawling or as viable as midrange (500m-660m). In my opinion, Long range and short range should be equally viable.

It seems to me that most of the recent changes and nerfs , have the intended or unintended consequence of moving engagement distances closer together. I also noticed that most people championing the changes or are, at least happy with them, prefer close combat.Truthfully, I hate brawling. So I have to ask, What about my style of play?

I don't think Sniping as it is intended, is something that should be "Viable" Jaguar.

I say this as a Marine rifle expert. I can put 7 of 10 rounds in a man sized target's head at 500m, AND I am not Sniper material. Unless you are putting 99 out of 100 rounds into a target the size of a beer can at 500m, Sniping should not be a thing most can do.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 19 November 2013 - 04:49 AM.

#37 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

Sniping is at it's worst now with ACs having a very large extended range. The AC spam is running havoc by now.

#38 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

View PostJSparrowist, on 18 November 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

OP wants to camp far, far away from his lance/team mates and have the ability to take out mechs like those who brawl...ummm, no. sorry. Please play some other game. Reminds me of the "snipers" in BF3 that would run to the very far corner, usually more than one of them too, and waste player slots taking pot-shots at the enemy instead of contributing in some meaningful way.

You have no idea how far you missed the target by do you? You just described exactly what a Sniper/Sniper team does! Now if they are not dropping enemies with single shots, then they need a new MOS.

#39 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

View PostEntail, on 18 November 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

You have obviously not experienced the 2 ER PPC, 2 GR firebrand.

trip gauss Illya

#40 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

People in MWO are filling the role of sharpshooter, not sniper.

If it were to scale, a true sniper mech would be mounting a weapon that doesn't currently exist in game: an extremely high velocity long-distance armor-piercing round with the capability of delivering consistent one-hit lethality to the torso of another mech from 3-5km away.

The current record for human snipers is held by a British sniper I believe, from almost 2500m away. It was previously held by a Canadian who hit a Taliban gunman from 2400m. There are several other notable kill shots from 2000+ meters.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users