Salvage Clan Equipment

13 replies to this topic

#1 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Was just thinkiing, to keep clan stuff from filling all the mechs, don't let clan weapons be used by an IS mech unless the player actually kills a clan mech using that equipment in the mech he want's to use it in. (unlocking the stuff) then purchasing the clan equipment as usual.

Unless it can't be used in IS mechs at all, this will keep clan equipment from immediately obsoleting all IS equipment.

Players using clan mechs could use clan weaponry as normal, but if they wanted to use is equipment, (for some reason) the same rules would apply.

Unlocks might even take moree than a single kill of a mech using that equipment, as the advanced weapons would be wanted by higher ups to investigate.

I just don't want to see Atlases using clan weapons on day 1, but there SHOULD be a way of getting clan weaponry into IS mechs, just not immediately.

Edited by verybad, 18 November 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#2 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

i like this idea .... so i know it wont happen

#3 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Do not mix tech, keep clan tech pure as the founder intended.

#4 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Devs have said many times they don't want to give items as salvage. I'll bet the way you get mixed tech is to join Wolfe's Dragoons .
Devs have said if you get max loyalty in all houses that you can join W.D. they have said loyalty points and level will effect prices and availability of equipment and special equipment. W.D. are the Plan's forward scout unit basically, with access to tech and lost tech the houses don't have as per established story line.

It's all there just not put together in one place for us.

#5 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

I doubt that Clan Tech will even be something you can salvage.

Why?

Play balance. How do you get a game setup so the clans fight the inner sphere, but then pretty quickly all of the IS mechs are using clan tech anyway.

We just spent pretty much all of 2013 getting the balance right for the weapons we have, and now you think they're just going to throw all of that work out the window and start over? And wouldn't salvaging clan tech make the clans seem pretty lame if they're actually not very technologically superior?

No, I highly doubt that we're going to have IS mechs running around with Clan tech anything installed in them.

#6 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

I think mix tech is OK, IF it's controlled, not easy to do. Maybe a buyable skill for a mech similiar to other skills, but only possible from clan mech kills. Then buy access to each weapon/tech separately for each mech you have (ie a grind, one weapon access might be possible, but all would be a lot of time) Say 10000 XP per weapon access.

Also, I don't want to join the WD, I want to remain Draconis Combine unless Word of Blake becomes available (ie I want to be evil)

Edited by verybad, 18 November 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#7 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'd rather that clan tech comes solely from match salvage.

Make up some fluff about the salvage coming from building complexes since the mechs themselves can't drop clan tech if they dont have it to begin with.

Premium bonus would probably be a bit complicated, hard to give 150% of a ER med laser.

Clan tech is going to be nothing like the OP {Scrap} in the board game though, I think thats pretty clear (or at least should be if they want any semblance of balance).

Edited by Asmosis, 18 November 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

This seems a bit like "kicking the can" down the road, rather than solving the core problem. Basically, you aren't solving the issue of people mounting as much Clan tech as they possibly can. You are simply making it take longer for them to achieve that goal. The only people who would find IS tech useful under such would be space poors and noobs.

If you want experienced, skilled players to actually use IS tech after they've gotten their hands on Clan tech, make IS tech useful on its own merits. Yes, this means that Clan tech wouldn't be the direct-upgrade power creep of the 1980s. Yes, this means defying the sacred TT bible. Yes, this means that your precious UAC/60 Cheese Daishi would be "asymmetrically equal" to an Inner Sphere mech of similar role and armaments (different strengths and weaknesses, instead of just blatantly better in every possible form). This entails little adjustments such as minor heat increases and slower reload times (or leave Clan tech as-is and just buff IS tech instead, whichever works).

Being easier to buy/acquire is not an attribute which affects the flow of combat in any way, shape, or form. It simply makes it more convenient. It doesn't magically make it useful. Useful means that you would have a combat situation in which item A would be rationally more effective for resolving that tactical problem than item B. Being cheaper/easier to get does not affect battlefield performance.

There is not a single tactical situation that you will ever face in Mechwarrior: Online where you will say "Oh man, I wish my weapon had been easier to buy/acquire/salvage, then I would have totally beaten the enemy and achieved victory! Using rare weapons caused me to lose this battle!"

Edited by FupDup, 18 November 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#9 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

I don't want cross tech for the simple reason that if I could set the policy it would be to balance Clans to have the fights against IS be 10 vs 12, a binary of Omni-mechs vs a company.

It is lore friendly.

If you have cross-tech, then it is going to be 12 vs 12 again, with everyone using ONLY clan tech.

That sounds super lame to me. I have no wish to see an entire list of gear rendered pointless because people want power and more power, and then more power.

No, it will be IS vs Clan, with numbers to combat tech level, but again PGI is planning to nerf Clan-tech somewhat, so I got the idea in my head that they're planning on lore friendly team sizes.

#10 WildeKarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

They need to look at how they rate the mechs if you mix tech (I think they need to do it anyway but more mixing tech). A mech with 2 PPC's is the same as having 2 ERPPC's and the same as 2 CERPPC's - currently they are all equal to each other. A clan UAC20 is the same as an AC20 as well.

Personally I think it should be kept apart or we'll soon see the pre-mades all kitted with clan tech going up against the PUG's with no clan tech.

#11 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

View Postverybad, on 18 November 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

Was just thinkiing, to keep clan stuff from filling all the mechs, don't let clan weapons be used by an IS mech unless the player actually kills a clan mech using that equipment in the mech he want's to use it in. (unlocking the stuff) then purchasing the clan equipment as usual.

Unless it can't be used in IS mechs at all, this will keep clan equipment from immediately obsoleting all IS equipment.

Players using clan mechs could use clan weaponry as normal, but if they wanted to use is equipment, (for some reason) the same rules would apply.

Unlocks might even take moree than a single kill of a mech using that equipment, as the advanced weapons would be wanted by higher ups to investigate.

I just don't want to see Atlases using clan weapons on day 1, but there SHOULD be a way of getting clan weaponry into IS mechs, just not immediately.

12 man A (IS) coordinates a drop vs 10 man B (Clan). A and B are actually part of the same larger group. B completely allows A to decimate them. Wash rinse repeat.

The proposed system is ripe for abuse and offers nothing to the micro-transaction system that keeps MWO alive.

View PostJake Hendricks, on 19 November 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

They need to look at how they rate the mechs if you mix tech (I think they need to do it anyway but more mixing tech). A mech with 2 PPC's is the same as having 2 ERPPC's and the same as 2 CERPPC's - currently they are all equal to each other. A clan UAC20 is the same as an AC20 as well.

Personally I think it should be kept apart or we'll soon see the pre-mades all kitted with clan tech going up against the PUG's with no clan tech.

You don't know that, you only guessing. In fact the only thing they look at is the ELO score and weight class when dropping people.

if I had to guess, devs will disallow Clan / IS tech mixing. Limit clanners to 2 stars vs 3 IS lances AND artificially boost any clanner's ELO value when placing them.

This will make Clan vs Clan or Clan vs IS more likely at the higher levels; and IS vs IS or IS vs Clan at the lower levels.

Edited by focuspark, 19 November 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#12 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

View Postverybad, on 18 November 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Also, I don't want to join the WD, I want to remain Draconis Combine unless Word of Blake becomes available (ie I want to be evil)

Then you may want to get loyalty points and a high rank in your faction so you might get one of the few Omnimechs taken after the battle of Wolcott :)

#13 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

It's better to take the clanner's chassis and laugh in their faces instead of mixteching their weapons with IS Mechs.

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 18 November 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Do not mix tech, keep clan tech pure as the founder intended.

Then mixed tech will filter into teh game around 3055. Cause the Founder (ie the writers) Started mixing the tech around that period of the war.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users