7 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

I thought I would pop a little bit of philosophy out concerning a "mythical" subject that we really don't hear about anymore. Merfolk. Today, in the modern age, we really don't hear any stories being told about Mermaids or Merfolk like they did in the age of sail. Why? Possible reason. Extinction of a species or civilization.

One possible reason is from a volcanic eruption. Man has suffered from these mountains of fire, having lost entire cities to their wrath. Pollution is another, ever dumping of barrels full of radioactive waste.

"Hey whats in the barrel?"
"I don't know".
"Well, lets open it and find out."

Then there is man, lets test a nuke here. oops. The red tide is another explanation. A caustic lethal cloud drifting into an aquatic city. Bye Bye!

So is there any possible city "they" could have build. If you delve into a bit of Lovecraft and go out on a limb, yes. The city in which old squid head dwells was certainly not built by man, so it would be reasonable to say that an aquatic race such as Merfolk could have built it.

Still with the lack of modern tales of these dwellers of the deep, as man tells stories of U.F.O.'s from above, the notion of these creatures fades into extinction itself.

#2 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

In many ways, the deep sea is like deep space: a dark void, mostly unexplored. What little we know about the world below the oceans, we know from a few expeditions to the mariana trench and some other places.

Basically, we're sending aquanauts and ROVs into the depth, to take a few pictures and samples. Then we assume we know what it's like, saying "that's what it looks like everywhere down there". But does it?

About 70% of Earths' surface is covered in water, with large portions being considered deep sea. The deepest reaches, the https://en.wikipedia...ki/Abyssal_zone and https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Hadal_zone are only sparsely explored.

The lost continent of Atlantis (or Mu, as some stories would call it) is a recurring theme in mythological legends. If it was located in one of the unexplored regions, that would explain why no one found it yet...

Then again, there are things man is not meant to know.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:17 AM

agreed, with how well explored the oceans are it is possible almost anything could be down there, and if it is migratory even if the sees and oceans are ever 100% explored there is no guarantee we would have found everything.

#4 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

The sea is a mystery. It can hold us in awe as we stare and watch the ocean waves as they crash onto the shore.

#5 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:52 AM

If anyone want to get dizzy with their minds, watch Top 5s on youtube

Mystical creatures that might or could have existed.

Thers alot of odd, scary, creepy, disturbing videos in which he have uploaded. But they are indeed very interesting if you do believe in the stuff they show or not. Makes you think of this planet in a very different way.

#6 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

Maybe we don't hear about them because they never existed. And drunk sailors on wood ships stopped confusing manatees with women swimming in the ocean.

#7 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

Back in the 90s when I still played Magic, I built a "shifting merfolk deck." It had merfolk of various sorts and vesuvan dopplegangers (they were expensive) and was undefeated. I built it for amusement but it turned out to be quite good.

#8 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

A merfolk deck. Nice. I have a black green elf deck that simply over runs my opponents with elf tokens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users