Famous quote from House of Davion Soldier

10 replies to this topic

#1 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

Famous quote from House of Davion Soldier, after surviving a fight against a Clanner "by ejecting".

What's it like fighting the Wolf?
Imagine lightning on legs,or an earthquake with arms,
or catastrophe with genius, or just pure hell on wheels.

- An House of Davion Inner Sphere militia soldier

;)

Edited by Ishtar, 16 June 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#2 Xmador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Kill the meat save the metal.

(I think something like that was in some previous BT game version)

#3 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

;)

#4 Numlock1776

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

"I wish I could read."

-- Captured Davion Infantryman during a field interrogation by Cappellen troops.

#5 mcvey

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostNumlock1776, on 17 June 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

"I wish I could read."

-- Captured Davion Infantryman during a field interrogation by Cappellen troops.

How do I like this more than once???

#6 JHare

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostXmador, on 16 June 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Kill the meat save the metal.

(I think something like that was in some previous BT game version)

It's from Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. One of the first contracts you can sign is training. When you and the Catapult (Sgt Gunther?) attack a pair of light mechs, he says that. The full quote was something like "Aim for the cockpit kid. Kill the meat, save the metal"

#7 Hykelion

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

"I wish I could read."

Classic Capellan propaganda. See how I spelled "Capellan" right?

#8 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostHykelion, on 20 June 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

hey remember that time we backed you guys and you then invaded us? yeah you'll suffer for that.

#9 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostHykelion, on 20 June 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

It's not really propaganda, people like to think of the Federated Suns as this bastion of freedom and enterprise, and the jewel of the inner sphere, but it's a straight up feudal state with a majority of the populace being illiterate, uneducated peasants worked into the ground by the aristocracy.

If you aren't high up in the social ladder, and you happen to be a natural born citizen of the federated suns, chances are damn high that you can't read. Even House Steiner has a higher rate of social mobility and it's a constitutional monarchy!

The novels may have granted Davion apotheosis, divine right over every other Great House, but the actual sourcebooks lay out each house in pretty neutral terms, and they're all right jerks with major problems.

Edited by Vandal, 21 June 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#10 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

"I wish I could read."

Talking about analphabetism and making grammar mistakes while doing so is not the way to go... :(

#11 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostVandal, on 21 June 2012 - 05:48 AM, said:

It's not really propaganda, people like to think of the Federated Suns as this bastion of freedom and enterprise, and the jewel of the inner sphere, but it's a straight up feudal state with a majority of the populace being illiterate, uneducated peasants worked into the ground by the aristocracy.

If you aren't high up in the social ladder, and you happen to be a natural born citizen of the federated suns, chances are damn high that you can't read. Even House Steiner has a higher rate of social mobility and it's a constitutional monarchy!

The novels may have granted Davion apotheosis, divine right over every other Great House, but the actual sourcebooks lay out each house in pretty neutral terms, and they're all right jerks with major problems.

I would say that you are well and truly overstating the case. The source books have always said that the Federated Suns was an Absolutist State with feudal trappings that were a hold over from an older age. Something like 19th Century Germany or Georgian England as oppose to feudal France. Here is a direct quote from the original 1988 House Davion Source Book.

"The Prince, aided by his family, holds enormous power and generally receives the wholehearted support of most of the population. In return for their support, the common people expect to enjoy certain personal freedoms on the local level. By laws and unwritten greements, the common folk in the Federated Suns may participate in the decisions of their local governments. This protects the average person against possible excesses of the local nobility, which would affect them more directly than the larger questions occupying the minds of the
Davions on far-off New Avalon. With this compromise, the Davions and their people have created a political system of semi-independent planetary governments bound to the actions of the FirstPrince by a harness of nobles."

It's obvious from the original source book that Hanse Davion was intended to be an enlightened Dictator who rule the realm with the interest of the citizens in mind because it was in his best interest. He was never supposed to be an out an out good guy but a more Machiavellian "Great and Terrible" man.

So the image of feudal manors and serfdom just isn't appropriate

The other thing the source books seems to imply is that education in the Federated Suns is not so much poor as uneven. If you live in the wealthier part of the Federated Suns then education is readily and widely available to everyone. It's on the border worlds and periphery worlds that education is bad and this has more to do with a lack of resources and the disruption of effective civil authority on these worlds then anything else.

My overall feel is that the Capellan's have a better basic education system, but that were it matters (i.e in the industrial and political centres) that the education is better in the Federated Suns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users