Nvidia Driver Crash

13 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:40 AM

every now and then my display drivers crash, the problem has been persisting for a long time, over half a dozen both MWO and nvidia driver versions (i keep them up to date)

symptoms: flickering boxy artifacts on frozen screen, serious sound lag/distortion

usually the drivers restart in time for me to continue playing, providing im not killed in the 30 seconds or so of it happening

#2 Targaryen X

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

This might help, I was experiencing an NVidia driver has crashed and recovered message when I exited the game almost every time, this fixed it. Go to your nvidia control panel, under 'manage 3d settings' 'global settings' scroll down to power management mode and set it to 'prefer maximum performance' instead of adaptive. I was also experiencing a video crash in game where the whole screen would freeze and little green and reddish squares would pattern the frozen image, alt tab in and out and it would start working again. Since I changed that setting I no longer get the driver failed and recovered message when exiting and the video freeze disappeared except for one time, for a brief flash of half a second, but recovered without a hitch, no alt tabbing just a quick freeze flash of pattern, then gone and back to normal.Good luck.

#3 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

i tried setting it up for mwoclient.exe, will see how that works, thanks for the tip

#4 Mr Ezzquizo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

same problem :)

#5 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

View Postezzquizo, on 20 November 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

same problem :)

Have you tried the possible fix provided by Gederix?

#6 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

I haven't seen anything, installed the latest driver update from Nvidia yesterday and saw a huge improvement in performance.

#7 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Good comments above, and I have also found it best to avoid Nvidia beta drivers with MWO, try to stick to released drivers.

#8 SpOoKy777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 148 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sounds familiar...

This TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) error, is known by Nvidia, but mostly ignored when it comes to a solution, their official statement:

https://forums.gefor...ddmkm-stopped-/

If you find a "display" error in your windows event manager which refers to "nvlddmkm.sys"...welcome to my nightmare...

I have this Issue on two different Win 7 rigs...my old system with a Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti and my brand new rig with a Gainward GTX 760 Phantom...in both cases the cards are factory-overclocked...

Best workaround I found was to downclock the cards... :ph34r:
For me Nvidia lost a lot of credit, especially after going through that stuff for the second time...

Edited by SpOoKy777, 20 November 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

The only time I have ever had this problem is when I first got my new graphics card and was finding out the overclock ceiling for it. If I went too high, it would freeze the game and I would Alt-Tab out and back in again to un-freeze. While I was out of game, it would have the "The display driver has stopped responding and was recovered." error. Of course, that reset the overclock back to factory settings and I would have to finish the game, exit to Windows and go back into EVGA Precision X to re-enable the overclock. Once I found the sweet spot, it hasn't happened since. This was with Prefer Maximum Performance enabled (I've known about that setting for quite some time now). I'm currently at +52MHz on the core and +275MHz on the memory of my EVGA GTX 780 SuperClocked w/ ACX (and that's above and beyond the factory overclock).

If you're having this problem with factory-overclocked cards and it's solved by down-clocking the cards (and you already have Prefer Maximum Performance set), then you have faulty graphics cards and you need to RMA them. Factory overclocks should be 100% stable in every game, but they sometimes have some that pass QA that shouldn't. It's not Nvidia's fault -- it's the specific manufacturers of your cards.

#10 SpOoKy777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 148 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

This problem seems to be more complex...

The "Prefer Max Performance" thing is enabled on both systems...

The GTX 560 was RMA'd back then and came back with the error still happening...nowadays I use the old rig for video/internet only, reverted to the last stable driver (which was 314.07 for me)...and everything is fine...

With my new gaming/working system (GTX 760) I can't go back to that old driver, because its not supported anymore...so I test every new driver coming up from Nvidia...so far no luck...error is still there...

Weird is that I'm able to play hours and hours of Battlefield 4 (ultra settings), no errors...same for FarCry3 and Rage...I can run FurMark all over the place...no errors...

I start MWO or Crysis 2/Crysis 3...play for 10-30 minutes...BAM...driver timed out...same for Napoleon: Total War...thats what I've tested so far...

What I'm trying to say...if both cards are faulty...they shouldn't:

1) ...work fine with reverted drivers...
2) ...work fine randomly with some games (game engines)...

Edited by SpOoKy777, 21 November 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#11 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

It is entirely possible that the games that cause problems are activating functionality of your GPU that the other games are not, or they are working your GPU harder than other games. Just because it works perfectly in one game does not make it functional. The fact that more than one game and engine causes problems indicates that hardware is the problem.

Rolling back to a previous driver likely disables the newest functionality that SHOULD be enabled. Evidently it's this newer functionality that's causing your GPUs to not be getting enough voltage. That's why down-clocking works -- the GPU no longer needs as much voltage while running at a slower speed.

I have seen others on actual hardware forums have to RMA more than once (several times, in fact) to get a fully stable functional factory-overclocked GPU.

#12 Daemir

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

If you are using a 560 card or similar series and experience this error, roll back to driver version 314.22 and stay at those. Those are the last stable drivers that do not produce this error.

#13 SpOoKy777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 148 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

I have seen others on actual hardware forums have to RMA more than once (several times, in fact) to get a fully stable functional factory-overclocked GPU.

hmmm...thats so damn unconvenient, but I'll try it...I contacted my hardware dealer today...

[color=#959595]If you are using a 560 card or similar series and experience this error, roll back to driver version 314.22 and stay at those. Those are the last stable drivers that do not produce this error.[/color]

Thats correct...as I wrote, at the moment the 560 system is at 314.07 and stable for what I use it for...so I could go up to the .22 but I prefer to let it where it is...
The new rig with the 760 is what bugs me the most... ;)

But thx for the help so far, guys...I'll post an update if the RMA is done...

#14 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

I was having some artifacts on the screen and my drivers crashing with fullscreen with the 650 Ti, the drives are fully updated. And I've set up my NVIDIA 3D settings as suggested here.

What I tried after using those settings was reducing screen resolution and playing in a window. My desktop is currently set to 1600 x 900. The game is set to 1280 x 720.

I might make further tweaks later, but it's working right now for me (and in-game settings, V-Sync is left unchecked, everything is set to Very High and I have PostAA on).

So that could be another workaround to test out.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users