Reduce Price And Power Of Airstrike/artillery

32 replies to this topic

#1 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Being crippled or killed by an attack that does not require direct line of sight and has no warning other than a smoke plume (that can be put behind the target, and is thus invisible, because CCTV doesn't exist in MWO) is not fun.

It's bad enough I'm in a Locust already, but how is it fair that I get taken from 100% to 41% and lose a leg (and get stuck at 15KPH until I'm shot again, for some reason) by an attack that doesn't require line of sight, or a lock-on, and doesn't have any significant warning if it's placed decently?

So I suggest either an audible warning if you're in the target area, or reduce the power significantly (and reduce the price to match).

I'm not sure if Airstrike is as bad as Artillery, but might as well keep them roughly equal.

#2 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

An "Incoming Artillery/Airstrike" warning might not be a bad idea, but it should fire up anytime the enemy team uses it anywhere, not just near you.

And I'm not convinced it's needed at all.

Then again I'm also of the opinion Eyeball Mk1 was just fine for LRMs and we have a warning now. (to be fair, LRMs arc in steeper now so in some circumstances you actually can't reasonably see them coming without it)

#3 Junkman7mgte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

You have a visible warning ... ie. - red smoke. If you are blind, you may need help. If not, then pay attention and run. They just made them both actually viable, let it be .

#4 Slab Squathrust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA or Billings, MT

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostJunkman7mgte, on 20 November 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

You have a visible warning ... ie. - red smoke. If you are blind, you may need help. If not, then pay attention and run. They just made them both actually viable, let it be .

If only there were eyes in the back of my head, or mech that is...

#5 Junkman7mgte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostSlab Squathrust, on 20 November 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

If only there were eyes in the back of my head, or mech that is...

I see the smoke without issue, and I'm on a moniter that blows chunks. Add to that, I exclusively pug, and I'm pretty sure, because of that, and other things, I'm a - below - average pilot. The other things being -- I'm getting older, I'm a bit slow, and usualy have had a few drinks by the time I get to play :)

#6 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

150+Kph Scout mech complaining about stationary support fire... Try this:

1. Stop standing still - You're a Light mech, there's no valid reasoning to be had for why you're getting hit by Artillery or Airstrike.
2. You're a Light mech - Scouting is one of the undefined purposes of your existence. Even if you arent doing that, which im not sure what else you can do, being a Locust, situational awareness is kind of important.

Fix yourself first.

#7 Slab Squathrust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA or Billings, MT

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostJunkman7mgte, on 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I see the smoke without issue, and I'm on a moniter that blows chunks. Add to that, I exclusively pug, and I'm pretty sure, because of that, and other things, I'm a - below - average pilot. The other things being -- I'm getting older, I'm a bit slow, and usualy have had a few drinks by the time I get to play :)

My only point is when it is behind you, you are pretty much gonna take the hit unless you are in something fast and already moving. The damage is going to be done to the rear armor which is thinner anyways. I just got out of a match agaisnt what I assume was a premade group and got hit by two strikes. One was behind that I didn't see and the other grazed me as I attempted to get out of the way. Together they ripped 10% of my atlases armor off. Besides the two that hit me, I saw about 6 others land in that game. We got facerolled. Combine stronger air/artillery strikes with an already suspect matchmaker and it makes steam rolls easier. I enjoy being able to drop into games from time to time but matches like that really make me think the time is spent better elsewhere.

#8 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 20 November 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

150+Kph Scout mech complaining about stationary support fire... Try this:

1. Stop standing still - You're a Light mech, there's no valid reasoning to be had for why you're getting hit by Artillery or Airstrike.
2. You're a Light mech - Scouting is one of the undefined purposes of your existence. Even if you arent doing that, which im not sure what else you can do, being a Locust, situational awareness is kind of important.

Fix yourself first.

Truly written by someone who has never used a Locust.

Breaking from the pack is going to get you killed because any other light is going to annihilate you. Locust sticks with the heavies. Otherwise it's a detriment to the team. Locust does not work as a scout, as a harasser, or as a duelist. The Locust simply hides among bigger targets and pray that the enemy doesn't notice them.

The Locust doesn't play like other lights. Not if you want it to actually contribute something significant.

Even then, it doesn't make it fair to slow mechs. It's still a high-power attack that doesn't require line of sight or a lock-on, and has minimal warning.

#9 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Let's all just stop using the word "scout" when talking about Light 'Mechs, that action is obsolete on all but a handful of maps. And it's both boring and not-profitable (XP- and CB- wise) to boot.

That said, while I understand it's impossible to see the smoke when it gets dropped behind your 'Mech, and you might have the bad luck of running into the drop area even if you are not stationary (which, most of the time, you shouldn't be), it's no different from being hit by a direct fire weapon - the arty/air-strikes are not in a bad spot atm...

View PostJunkman7mgte, on 20 November 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

They just made them both actually viable, let it be .

Though, of course, I wouldn't say no to lowering the price.

Edited by DemonRaziel, 20 November 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#10 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 20 November 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Being crippled or killed by an attack that does not require direct line of sight and has no warning other than a smoke plume (that can be put behind the target, and is thus invisible, because CCTV doesn't exist in MWO) is not fun.

It's bad enough I'm in a Locust already, but how is it fair that I get taken from 100% to 41% and lose a leg (and get stuck at 15KPH until I'm shot again, for some reason) by an attack that doesn't require line of sight, or a lock-on, and doesn't have any significant warning if it's placed decently?

So I suggest either an audible warning if you're in the target area, or reduce the power significantly (and reduce the price to match).

I'm not sure if Airstrike is as bad as Artillery, but might as well keep them roughly equal.

Placing the arty/air strike does require LoS when launched. Then there is the smoke.

#11 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostSlab Squathrust, on 20 November 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

My only point is when it is behind you, you are pretty much gonna take the hit unless you are in something fast and already moving.

That's kinda the point though. It's a great way to help counter poptarting and camping

#12 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Really not seeing them as an imbalance, it's not like theyr'e limited to one layeror another and you can easilly afford them yourself using CBs every other game even if you lose.

They add fun to the game IMO, even if they hit me, I still think theyr'e cool. The single use factor really makes them marginal IMO.

So they finally make a module useful, but not OP, and people want to re-marginalize it.

#13 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostDavers, on 20 November 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Placing the arty/air strike does require LoS when launched. Then there is the smoke.

They require LoS to the initial target area. The radius can be used to hit targets that are not in line of sight, and would not otherwise be in a position to take damage.

#14 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostDemonRaziel, on 20 November 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Let's all just stop using the word "scout" when talking about Light 'Mechs

This ^^.

I am kind of glad I missed out on the earlier MW titles if light mechs were just reduced to looking at opponents in the distance as their major contribution to a match.

There is almost no scouting in BT. I remember very fondly killing an uninjured Enforcer and a heavily damaged Victor on the same turn with my Valkyrie (30 tons, 1 medium laser and one LRM 10). :)

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostDavers, on 20 November 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

This ^^.

I am kind of glad I missed out on the earlier MW titles if light mechs were just reduced to looking at opponents in the distance as their major contribution to a match.

There is almost no scouting in BT. I remember very fondly killing an uninjured Enforcer and a heavily damaged Victor on the same turn with my Valkyrie (30 tons, 1 medium laser and one LRM 10). :)

TACs?

#16 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Uhh, scouting in BT is pretty prevalent in the group I played in. We also used hidden units (like MWO) however. Without that in factor, then yeah i could see scouting as being less useful,

#17 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone complained about the now useful support.

A: off your locust got hit by an arty strike, either you deserved it for sitting still in a 20 ton mech, or they deserved the hit for accurately predicting and timing your movement.

B: this is a perfect example of "it killed me, nerf it!"

#18 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

• No. They're in a great place right now, both in terms of cost and effectiveness.
  • Getting hit by artillery in a Locust? That sounds a lot like standing still or being totally oblivious of red smoke. You deserve a fiery death.

#19 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

I marched my orion through a arty the other night felt epic (mostly cause they all missed) emerging from the cloud of black smoke like a 90's action hero.

#20 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 20 November 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone complained about the now useful support.

A: off your locust got hit by an arty strike, either you deserved it for sitting still in a 20 ton mech, or they deserved the hit for accurately predicting and timing your movement.

B: this is a perfect example of "it killed me, nerf it!"

View PostHomeless Bill, on 20 November 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

• No. They're in a great place right now, both in terms of cost and effectiveness.
  • Getting hit by artillery in a Locust? That sounds a lot like standing still or being totally oblivious of red smoke. You deserve a fiery death.

I have to agree with you both.

They are in a good place right now. No longer do I see the smoke and just stand there. I'm now looking to bug out of that position, and fast. Exactly as it should be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users