6 replies to this topic

#1 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Once you reach the upper middle tier of skill level you start seeing a ton of cookie cutter builds and mechs because they're quite simply the best of the best. I think one way to encourage players to play a variety of mechs and especially make leveling the less popular varients a little less painful is to reduce a pilot's effective ELO for match making purposes.

For example one might get a 10% reduction in ELO for matchmaking purposes if they pilot a raven 4X or a 5% reduction for piloting a hunchback 4G (as opposed to a 4H) or even a 20% reduction if one pilots a Locust.

What do y'all think?

#2 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

That defeats the entire purpose of ELO though. You're putting advanced level pilots/players with higher skill levels in against less skilled players. That's exactly what ELO is trying to prevent

#3 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Yeah, not a good idea.

Besides, the less-popular variants aren't actually bad. They simply cannot be min-maxed to the same high levels as some variants can. I'm constantly experimenting with builds for my Jenner variants despite the well-known and widely-accepted cookie-cutter builds that already exist. I even use the JR7-K (gasp) on a regular basis. I'm a big fan of the Spider SDR-5V as well.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 22 November 2013 - 12:13 AM.

#4 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

BAAAD idea.

(CAUTION: entirely theoretical numbers coming up. Accept as hypothetical or fluck off and annoy someone that cares.)

Lets say I have an Elo of 1500 or so in assault mechs (Elo is currenty by weight class, everyone has 4 Elo scores)

By driving, say, an Atlas K ("The worst atlas", an opinion I do not share), I could get a 10% Elo reduction for "having a POS mech"

So I now have an effective Elo of 1350

A newbie comes in, has an Elo of 1000 for starters. He wins more than the usual amount of matches, and ends his cadet phase with say 1300 Elo.

I`ve been playing for 1,5 years and generally am regarded as knowing pretty well what I`m doing.

Yet simply by my choice of mech, I can now go on 1 Man killing Sprees to my heart`s content, ruining teh game for any and everyone that comes out of Cadet.

Hoiw exactly is that supposed to be fair again? :D

Or for those thgat say "th numbers can`t be that close together": Completely irrelevant, becasue I can also simply start an alt, lose a lot, buy a "low tier mech" that I know my way around, and Newbstomp until the end of time (or until my Elo goes up too far again)

As soon as people can game a system to "increase their fun", even if it`s at the cost of everyone else`s enjoyment and they are eventually the only player left, they can and will do exactly that. That`s why people liike GTA V so much, the whole point of the game is to be the biggest possible *******. And "unexpectedly", every Tom, D!ck and Harry is complaining about everone being an ******* when playing GTA V Online. *facepalm*

Edited by Zerberus, 22 November 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostZerberus, on 22 November 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

BAAAD idea.

(CAUTION: entirely theoretical numbers coming up. Accept as hypothetical or fluck off and annoy someone that cares.)

Lets say I have an Elo of 1500 or so in assault mechs (Elo is currenty by weight class, everyone has 4 Elo scores)

By driving, say, an Atlas K ("The worst atlas", an opinion I do not share), I could get a 10% Elo reduction for "having a POS mech"

So I now have an effective Elo of 1350

A newbie comes in, has an Elo of 1000 for starters. He wins more than the usual amount of matches, and ends his cadet phase with say 1300 Elo.

I`ve been playing for 1,5 years and generally am regarded as knowing pretty well what I`m doing.

Yet simply by my choice of mech, I can now go on 1 Man killing Sprees to my heart`s content, ruining teh game for any and everyone that comes out of Cadet.

Hoiw exactly is that supposed to be fair again? :D

Or for those thgat say "th numbers can`t be that close together": Completely irrelevant, becasue I can also simply start an alt, lose a lot, buy a "low tier mech" that I know my way around, and Newbstomp until the end of time (or until my Elo goes up too far again)

As soon as people can game a system to "increase their fun", even if it`s at the cost of everyone else`s enjoyment and they are eventually the only player left, they can and will do exactly that. That`s why people liike GTA V so much, the whole point of the game is to be the biggest possible *******. And "unexpectedly", every Tom, D!ck and Harry is complaining about everone being an ******* when playing GTA V Online. *facepalm*

but your numbers aren't factual!

I jest I jest lol

This is exactly why I agree that the OP is a bad idea

#6 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

that would be battlevalue.

#7 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

There are no bad chassis... Only those which don't suit your style. I can and have pulled 400+ damage with 4 kills and 6 assists in my locust.... Don't put my against lower ELO players or it would be horrible for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users