The Sound Of Lasers...

23 replies to this topic

#1 Katkon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

... could do with improvement, IMHO. I love the game, and think sound quality is very good overall. But lasers (whether pulse or non-pulse) just sound weak. The pulse laser actually sounds like a variant of a windows "sound" - the sort of sound one might hear when typing into a space with limited characters only to realize you've run out of characters. Poor description, but hopefully you get the gist. Would love for laser weapons to sound a bit more menacing... a but more "Star Wars", if you like. Just one guy's opinion of course.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Good grief, PGI has real stuff to do, please don't distract them!

;)

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

This is not the suggestions forum.

I can tell you are a Recruit, but that doesn't mean you can post off topic. when you complete your 25 matches to graduate from being a Cadet, you can post elsewhere.

*note that this thread was moved from the New Player Help forum.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 22 November 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#4 Katkon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 21 November 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

This is not the suggestions forum.

I can tell you are a Recruit, but that doesn't mean you can post off topic. when you complete our 25 matches to graduate from being a Cadet, you can post elsewhere.

Posts like yours always make me smile.

#5 audi man

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

since real lasers dont make much noise anyway, its likely you wouldnt hear it at all in the cockpit of your mech during battle.

More likely you could just program your fire control system to play whatever sound you wanted when you fire your laser, just so you know it actually fired.

seriously, more pew pew? LOL

#6 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

View Postgldgti, on 21 November 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

More likely you could just program your fire control system to play whatever sound you wanted when you fire your laser, just so you know it actually fired.

Why is it, the first thought that came to mind was the "Imperial March" song from Star Wars. I admit, it'd get repetitive real quick, but that was just the first thing that came to mind. The remix by Rage Against the Machine was quite good.

#7 Katkon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

View Postgldgti, on 21 November 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

seriously, more pew pew? LOL

Absolutely! More pew pew or just peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew ;)

#8 Toffa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAn unknown, back-water planet of the IS

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

LOL! When I saw the title of this, my first thoughts were:

<To the the tune of The Sounds of Silence, by Simon and Garfunkel>

Hello Pulsies my old friend,
I'm going to mount you once again.
Because of Ravens softly creeping,
With their dam-ned ECM sneeking
And the night vision, burning green into my brain
But BAP remains.
Within the sound of lasers....

Toffs ( '-')7

Edited by Toffa, 21 November 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#9 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostKatkon, on 21 November 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

... could do with improvement, IMHO. I love the game, and think sound quality is very good overall. But lasers (whether pulse or non-pulse) just sound weak. The pulse laser actually sounds like a variant of a windows "sound" - the sort of sound one might hear when typing into a space with limited characters only to realize you've run out of characters. Poor description, but hopefully you get the gist. Would love for laser weapons to sound a bit more menacing... a but more "Star Wars", if you like. Just one guy's opinion of course.

Dear NEWB,
Yeah they do not sound scary because well obviously THEY ARE NOT!

Seriously, obvious observation is in fact OBVIOUS!

Stand under the LRM rain for a moment or face a DAKKA DAKKA Ilya for a couple seconds and come back here to say something else that is lacking in thought!

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Go take your meds and leave the new guy alone, Jazz. How the lasers sound is only distantly related to their effects in game - the only post here lacking in thought is yours. Come on, you know better than this...

#11 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

I understand you might have reason to be upset from our PM - but lets not take it out on the new people, Jazz buddy.

#12 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

lasers have had their sound changed about 12 times (perhaps more) since the beta
they will likely change again in the future

you might like it , others will hate it, you might hate it , others will love it

i like where lasers are at sound wise

#13 Katkon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Crikey, if I'd known that a seemingly benign post could elicit such varying responses - interesting, funny, sarcastic, angry - I would have posted more earlier ;)

View PostNaduk, on 21 November 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

lasers have had their sound changed about 12 times (perhaps more) since the beta
they will likely change again in the future

you might like it , others will hate it, you might hate it , others will love it

i like where lasers are at sound wise

No I did not know that, and you're fortunate that you enjoy the sound. I think they sound a bit Elite / Commodore 64ish, personally.... At least I *think* they do - can barely remember Elite and whether lasers even featured in the game. Was a LOOOONG time ago.

Edited by Katkon, 21 November 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Nah, Elite was much more of a buzz, and lower pitched. =)

#15 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Its about time for sound packs I think.

Not sure how many other games actually offer that but it would be nice.

ATM I've just been using my own modified soundbank, but it would be great for PGI to do a few people can buy with cbills or maybe dare I say it MC.....

I guess the only problem is you would have to restart the game for the changes to take effect. (has to load the new soundbank when you start the game unless they can modify that somehow....)

Edited by Fooooo, 22 November 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#16 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

Apart from in-mech sounds, the MWO sound effects in general are pretty generic, and not well implemented (static and clipping, seriously?). This should be a major overhaul goal, but probably will not happen before the big UI/gameplay improvements (UI2.0, DX11, CW) are here.

Edited by Modo44, 22 November 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

I haven't noticed any static or clipping.

#18 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Technically Lasers should have a sizzling crack sound not the stupid electronic sounds we always get. Why? Because like lightning you would be superheating the air the laser is passing through and you would get a small sonic boom as the surrounding air rushed in to the gap left by the ionized and disrupted air. In airless voids where we shall someday play there should be NOTHING. :D

#19 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostMercules, on 22 November 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Technically Lasers should have a sizzling crack sound not the stupid electronic sounds we always get. Why? Because like lightning you would be superheating the air the laser is passing through and you would get a small sonic boom as the surrounding air rushed in to the gap left by the ionized and disrupted air. In airless voids where we shall someday play there should be NOTHING. :D

Except for footsteps and sounds of weapons hitting your mech of course. I totally agree with your post though, lasers should start with a crack and then sizzle at a constant volume through the firing time. For reference sounds I would suggest looking up "montreal fireball" or "jacobs ladder". Also I think that more sparks should fly out of points hit by lasers and sound like a welding torch for the duration that it is being hit, rather than the cheesy star wars-esque sounds we get today.

#20 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostSiliconLife, on 22 November 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Except for footsteps and sounds of weapons hitting your mech of course. I totally agree with your post though, lasers should start with a crack and then sizzle at a constant volume through the firing time. For reference sounds I would suggest looking up "montreal fireball" or "jacobs ladder". Also I think that more sparks should fly out of points hit by lasers and sound like a welding torch for the duration that it is being hit, rather than the cheesy star wars-esque sounds we get today.

I'm still waiting for a game to do sounds in vacuum correctly. The thunk of your weapon firing and chatter of it reloading. The hum of capacitors draining as you fire energy weapons. The silent light flashing past you and then the crackling burn of it gouging into your mech's armor and vibrating the frame as the metal flash heats and boils away into emptiness. Your life support hissing air into the cockpit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users