Xl Engine On A Cplt?

19 replies to this topic

#1 GooglGoo

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

I can fit everything I want on my K2 with a STD engine, but should I Just install my left over XL 300
for more speed and tonnage for DHS and ammo (I already have a good amount)

#2 CrunchTheRobot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

I guess that really depends on what size STD engine you already have on it.

Having an XL is usually a good idea on a Catapult, though, You're gonna get CT'd 9/10 times in a Catapult, anyways (at least from my experience it seems like it).

#3 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the only mech that has less vulnerable side torsos than a Catapult is the Dragon. So the frame is well suited for running an extra-light. Plus, gaining speed is often worth it. And when the cost is as low as in your case (engine already there, only small increase in vulnerability), I would go for it.

#4 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

lol, XL for sure.

#5 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Slap a xl on it. Catapult is THE mech to use a xl engine. How often did you lose a side torso in the catapult so far? You can probably count it on one hand.

#6 Dimitry Matveyev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 122 posts
  • LocationLatvia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

If you are not going to mount double AC 20 - than Xl is your choice! Running cats only with XL's myself.

#7 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

View PostDimitry Matveyev, on 19 November 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

If you are not going to mount double AC 20 - than Xl is your choice! Running cats only with XL's myself.

ac/10's are more favorable anywho GO XL! JOIN TEAM XL!

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

For the catipult with the arms as they are, it's very hard to hit the Side torso without first taking out the arm, and even then you're likely to hit the CT. Given that, the Catapult gains a lot with an XL engine. The K2 even more so with the extra HS storage and speed that helps it move around and get hit less (and twist faster).

#9 Axenrot

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

I run an XL300 in mine and it's only made a positive difference. Go for it.

#10 Antonio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Always XL in Catapult. If you are running an energy intensive build I recommend XL300 since you can put 2 DHS in it and reclaim the 6 crits you lose by switching to XL. For ballistic heavy K2's I use an XL255.

#11 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

XL + Catapult = safe, and needed for the tonnage to mount good weapons.

#12 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

What are you doing with it?

Twin AC/20 has to be standard engine, which is one of the best configs for the K2. If you are using Gauss Rifles, you can still fit a standard engine effectively by stacking Ferro + Endo both onto your 'mech. It's a very tight fit with no room for backup weapons, however.

If you are doing something else, like twin AC/10, stay standard. Anything brawler heavy should not be running XL on a Catapult.

View PostAmsro, on 19 November 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

XL + Catapult = safe, and needed for the tonnage to mount good weapons.

Not necessarily, with both the K2 and A1 you can make a very strong case for Standard engines.

Only when we are talking LRM mechs are we talking near-mandatory XL, but that's the same for every chassis south of 85 tons. LRMs are just plain too heavy for standard engine build 'mechs to use.

Edited by Victor Morson, 20 November 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#13 Zaprozhan

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Just... reaching.... Elite for my three Catapults, and they are all XL equipped. Side torso loss has took me out only once or twice so far. I'd consider it a fair trade.

#14 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

max the arms and use them instead of your side torso, give your foe your quarter flank. they will wait, or hit your arm always.

#15 Darkwing_Duck

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

I just looked at taking my K2 to and XL engine. The only way it would work for me, is if I downgraded to standard Heatsinks, and this still would not give me any great advantage, save I could add a couple of standard Heatsinks.

#16 SlackerZ

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 20 November 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

however. If you are doing something else, like twin AC/10, stay standard. Anything brawler heavy should not be running XL on a Catapult. Not necessarily, with both the K2 and A1 you can make a very strong case for Standard engines.

I use XL 280 engine for dual ac10s on my k2. 450m effective range is good enough to snipe at intervals of 2.5 to 3 secs.. Especially good for support when opponent mech is having a brawl with one from your own team.

K2 is not a good build for brawling.

#17 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

If you've got a high alpha weapon with low ROF, like ER PPC, then STD engines are a good alternative, because you can torso twist between shots. If you've got weapons with high DPS and high ROF, like UAC5s and medium lasers, then you may as well use an XL engine, because you'll be staring right at your target most of the time, and you will probably die from CT shots more than anything else.

#18 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

If you already OWN an XL300 then testing this will come at a minimal cost. Go for it!

Personally I run nothing less than a 300XL ON MY Catapults.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 23 November 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#19 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

The Catapult has the largest CT relative to its side torsos of any mech except the Jenner. There is no reason not to use an XL engine. Hell, there's barely even a reason to torso twist at all, since the CT is pretty much the biggest target from any angle, and that's where people are going to aim.

A STD engine on a Catapult is pointless. It virtually always dies by CT.

XL300 is a good engine for most Catapult builds, but if you go smaller, you can cram more weapons in.

#20 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Just a note, not only can you take an XL, you can actually sacrifice a little front armor on the side torsos. Not a lot mind you, but you can squeeze an extra half-ton or so out of them pretty easily.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users