Nvidia Control Panel Settings

8 replies to this topic

#1 Daddym0e

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

In the NVIDIA Control panel, I have the option of "forcing" a game or executable to behave a certain way. What I need to know is which executable to put in the list. The client file that loads up the name/pass screen or some other main file executable?

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

MWOClient.exe

I don't actually have a different profile for this game or any other -- I simply run them all on the Global settings. Works quite well.

AO: Performance
AnisFilt: 8x
AA-FXAA: On
AA-Gamma: On
AA-Mode: Override
AA-Setting: 4x
AA-Trans: Multisample
CUDA-GPUs: All
MaxPreRender: 2
Multi-Disp/Mix-GPU: SingleDispPerfMode
PowManMode: PrefMaxPerf
TF-ASO: On
TF-NLOD: Clamp
TF-Q: Quality
TF-TriOpt: On
ThreadOpt: On
TripBuf: On
VertSync: Use3D

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 21 November 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#3 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 dangerzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a F14-Tomcat

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

Gooooose! Nooooo! Don't you die on me!

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

Yeah: I get that alot … ;)

#6 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:07 AM

I turned off vsync with it, also "prefer max performance" in the power settings, 1 pre rendered frame. think you need to select mwoclient.exe

also use a user.cfg file to set the fov and run with a 50 fps framelimiter (using a 100Hz screen).

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

… No.

The "Prefer Max Performance" thing just masks bigger issues; If, at the end of a whole mess of tweaking, you can't find a setting that both keep the clocks up and not cost you some fps, then you can go "Max Performance."

The v-sync thing is … complected. While a Pre-rednered Frames of 3 is a defacto standard, you often have to turn it down with an active v-sync. There's also this old rule of thumb about setting triple buffering with v-sync: Well, the setting in the driver is for OpenGL only, so you have to find another way. There was an Direct3D Overrider that came with the original RivaTuner; It's not updated anymore, and doesn't come with MSI Afterburner/ EVGA PrecisionX, or the underlining RivaTuner Statistics Server the two share, but it's not hard to find (read: www.guru3d.com ); But for the likes of us, it's easier to just set "d3d9_TripleBuffering = 1" in the user.cfg.

The other thing with v-sync at this point in time is how handy the Adaptive setting is: If you're fps is not near the Hz of your monitor, it gets out of the way. There's also the "Adaptive Half" setting, for those whom hate tearing on the screen, but can't get the full "fps=Hz" thing to work out. The only trick to Adaptive is how you have to set v-sync in the game to off while the driver is set adaptive.

I do like a framerate limiter, and think it's important to have one before relying on v-sync. What tends to happen in MW:O is the limiter alleviates the CPU botttleneck, more or less. Having a limier at all helps steady the framerate, but it means you don't get the nice flow at the start of the game as a trade off for having a higher minimum in the gunfight.

You can also turn up your graphics settings as part of testing for your fps limit, but that involves not setting that prefer max power setting …

;-)

#8 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

All those settings are more for eye candy

I would consider only 2 settings to be actually important (well cranking up AA all the way might be a problem if you're card is not powerful enough)

Threaded optimization (good performance fix for quite some people in MWO)
And
Adaptive vsync
But the last one will not give u a performance gain, for me it prevents tearing and my card doesn't overclock all the way if it doesn't have to

Everything else won't realy matter in MWO (yet?), AA is not realy supported, textures pop in anyway (yay, go anisotropic filtering)
This game is heavy on the CPU, hence threaded optimization

Edit: saw you mentioning the prefer max power setting, well what's you're bottleneck CPU or graphics card?
For nearly everyone on the planet it's CPU with MWO

So it won't give u something realy, it would prevent the card of clocking down when it's bored doing nothing
Overclocking you're CPU might give you something

Edited by Peter2k, 28 November 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

The advantage that Prefer Maximum Performance gives is that it won't take the GPU as much time to get back to its top MHz..

With that setting on Adaptive, your GPU will down-clock itself or parts of itself when they aren't in use. That's all well and good, but when you're playing a first person shooter (which MW:O essentially is) sometimes waiting for the GPU to clock back up can make a big difference. You might be looking at a slide show for a second, which can mean extra damage suffered or aiming disrupted.

Also, if you are overclocking the GPU (yourself, or if it was factory-overclocked) the Prefer Maximum Performance setting will keep the GPU from being starved of voltage when it needs it the most. That can be the difference between the game freezing, forcing you to Alt-Tab (or Ctrl-Alt-Del) out and back in again, or playing smoothly through the whole match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users