54 replies to this topic

#21 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

We don't want our 'Light Admin mods' putting us on lockdown, so I shouldn't answer that question. But I'm gonna!

Thom and Kai both went to NAMA at the same time and Thom dropped out due to 'Conflicting Views' with his instructors and fellow cadets. Basically Thom hates him for whatever reason real or imagined. When I finally get around to writing up an undated 'Time of War' character sheet for T I'm even going to have a bunch of flaws involving him, (paranoia, obsession, powerful enemy) except Kai barely even knows Thom exist.

I imagine Thom's hatred something like, well, to barrow from the Venture Bros, Monarch's hatred of Dr. Venture. It's never really explained. Thom is, was, and always will be a murky reflection of Kai. Well at least in my mind anyways. I always wanted to do some good cadet day flashbacks, I've just never really got around to doing them.

I think that I should finally put that under Deep Background.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 27 November 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#22 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

not sure how they can shut this thread down for that. I literally called him the avatar of angst a half hour ago.

#23 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

View Postdal10, on 26 November 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

not sure how they can shut this thread down for that. I literally called him the avatar of angst a half hour ago.

You never know with these guys... On a side note I finally figured out what to bring to this barbeque. I just need to write everything out and do some editing and be posting it for approval. Hopefully I'll have time later to do all this.

#24 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:35 AM

considering the relative lack of activity in this section, i am not surprised that this hasn't been commented on in a while. still going to bump it though.

#25 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Yeah, I'm still fumbling over mech designs... All this neato tech has me stumbling through TRO's like a kid stumbling around in a toy store. There's so many things I want. Like, I want an Omni capable mech, just to be able to swap things around in between missions, but I'm not feeling too hot for all the IS Omni's. Don't want to dabble in Clan junk too much...

Maybe I should write up my own Omni?

But if it wasn't for that, I have history for Thom, with postings and flashback ideas all the way up to '95... I'm just stumbling over the mech!

#26 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

Character: Thom Frankfurt
Born Warlock, St. Ives Compact, 3028 Age 67 years old.

6'2'' Tall, with wiry muscle, with fair skin and gray eyes a long mohawk that he never puts up only lets it hand down past his shoulders. He has many tattoo's particularly unit insignia's from merc units he ran with for awhile, plus many tacky/trashy tattoos. i.e. lip prints in a kiss mark upon his neck, the word 'HardCore' across his knuckles. A bloody rabbit's foot/black 4 leaf clover/and bent horseshoe with his call sign 'Bad Luck' around them. Methinks that by this time around 85% of Thom's body is tattooed (think Yakuza like)

Typically wears black paramilitary like suit, with a black tie embroidered with the 'Warlock Stables' insignia, (Mickey Mouse from Fantasia) Carries an nakjama laser pistol, a poly carbon knife and a set of brass knuckles. Since the events of the Windborne Raven RP he's grown quite paranoid about how easily he could have been killed a dozen times over, and the paranoia has only grown over the years, so he's still carring a canvas rucksack with an extra energy clip for the laser pistol and two smoke grenades and two flashbangs. Along with a 1.5 liter metal canteen of water, a few mres (he hasn't checked the date on them yet, but when he does he'll find out that they are around two decades old (yuck!) and a small med kit everywhere he goes.

Thom is a New Avalon Military Academy dropout due to grades and 'conflicting views' with his professors and fellow students (most notably Kai Allard-Liao). Right after dropping out, he went to Solaris 7 to try fighting in the arenas. But when he arrived his X-two time Solaris grand champion father (who also paid for his tuition, and wasn't too happy with him dropping out) gave him a BJ-3 BlackJack and told him that if he didn't have the disipline for school, he wouldn't make it on Solaris. So he left Solaris and joined up with his uncle, Po Spiros...

The two then ran with several different merc units that were unsuccessful. Eventually one of their last units turned to banditry and the MRBC cracked down hard on them and their unit was forced to disband.

Luckily Thom got to keep the BJ-3 because he totally had no knowledge of the bank/jewelry store robbing's taking place on another continet. The Spiros/Frankfurt combo then joined up with another group with the job of garrisoning Pacifica/CharaIII. Uncle Po died fighting repelling a Combine raid in early '49, and since then Thom has drifted from place to place, freelancing himself out where he could, his journey ended up going out to the FRR and the events of the Windborn Raven unfolded.

After the attempted uprising/coup, Thom stayed behind to help rebuild as the other units went off on their own way. As a sign of gratitude the locals showed their appreciation, free meals/drinks here, free tattoos here... But, it wasn't too long before he shifted from helping the locals out to taking advantage of them. After a few disagreements and outstanding bills the locals not so kindly asked him to leave. Catching the first ride out he could find he headed off towards Barcelona in search of the guys he fought the Dalian Guard with.

Landing on Bareclona just in time for the Clan Invasion, Thom found himself right in the middle of the Jade Falcon onslaught. Thom gained much needed experience fighting the Clanners alongside the RAI, Vulkaneer's, Dragoon's, and Skye Rangers, during those few grueling weeks but unfortunately became dispossessed in the progreess. (RIP Swampthing.) RP still in projress, can't go into much detail. Also his cousin/tech Marcus was captured and pressed into the technician caste by the Jade Falcons. (possible adventure hook)

When things became hopeless on Bareclona, he loaded up the 'Achilies Pride' with as many refugees as possible and bugged out on the back of a Rogue's Armored Irregulars jumpship. He then journeyed with them... somewhere. Deep in the black to a little unexplored portion or the deep periphery. To where the Irregulars called home, RAIHQ. Begrudenlly he signed on with the Irregulars and fought alongside them for a couple of year's before leaving to 'do his own thing.'

By 3060 Thom has made a name for himself on Solaris by winning a grand tournement, where he got his grubby hands on the Akuma who's pilot he killed by kicking a field goal with its head as the pilot was knocked out from an ammo explosion. [OOC: True story I RPed that, what can I say, Banchee's kick hard.] I'm throwing out the part where T became Grand Champ, though. We misinturpted the rules for AP AC rounds... and did it wrong. Still he won a nice sized fortune by gambling on himself to win the whole tourney, and was approached by representives to see if he had an intrest in investing in a jumpship company.

Pulling some favors and working for some 'unscrupious merchants' as well as winning himself back into his ailing father's good graces, Thom was able to amass, part legal, mostly not, enough c-bills to start his own merc op!

By the time S&S happens, he's fought in the Capellan/St.Ives war on the side of St. Ives, but after his first few battles he knew that was a loosing cause and left that warzone. He then headed for Outreach to sign up to start his own merc op. (I imagine that there's quite a bit of paperwork involved RP still in progress)

S&S, the Solaris Riots, and the FCCW: Thom and his Terrors returned from the JFOZ and went on holiday on Solaris just in time for Michael Searcy and Victor Vandergriff's grudge match to spill out of Steiner Stadium and into the streets of Solaris. Much chaos and violence ensued as the various MechWarrior stables took sides and fell upon each other, save some independents who dug their heels in to defend a three mile square of the International Zone; 'Warlock Stables' boosted by 'Thom's Terrors.' Over the next few years a more mature Thom spent his time and 'resources' rebuilding Solaris, (the closest thing he has to an actual home) even going so far as to donate much of his private wealth in repairing the International Zone and constructing the Solarian Gladiatorial Hall of Fame in the IZ. (Possible RP setting)

The Wobbies and Ji had: (From Sarna)

Ji had

The Word of Blake invaded Solaris suddenly on the 16th of June 3068, taking advantage of both the chaos caused by the war between the Free Worlds League and the Skye and Bolan Provinces of the Lyran Alliance, as well as the absence of the Com Guards detachment previously assigned to Solaris but which had been recalled to take part in the disastrous Case White operation.[9] The Blakists referred to the invasion as Operation SHOWTIME,[10] and while the Word of Blake forces initially managed to escape being identified, the sheer number of free agents and stables on Solaris quickly led to an underground resistance movement[9] which came to be known as the "Solaris Home Defense League".

Following the occupation of Solaris the Solaris Home Defense League engaged in months of low-level resistance.[11] Initially, the resistance suffered from a lack of resources - particularly ammunition, weaponry and the transport capabilities to move either ammunitions or weapons. In June 3070 the resistance used a number of Savior Repair Vehicles as transport vehicles to move several platoons of infantry and Dispossessed MechWarriors into position to launch raids on a number of Blakist supply caches located throughout the International Zone. Having captured important quantities of ammunition, parts and BattleMechs, the resistance then used the Saviors to move the supplies out of Blakist territory. Although two Saviors were hit badly enough by Blakist infantry to trigger internal ammunition explosions, the CASE systems aboard the vessels protected both the embarked resistance fighters and much of the supplies.[10]

The level of resistance activity changed dramatically on the 3rd of May 3071, when Home Defense League forces launched a daring assault on Solaris City itself, securing the International Zone. This was just the beginning of a campaign to recapture the entire city, and the Home Defense League managed to push the defending Blakist forces out of Solaris City by the 11th of June, although not before the planetary HPG had been destroyed by the retreating Blakists.[11]

In August 3071, the Word of Blake forces launched a blitzkrieg-style assault on the International Zone, reclaiming control of the zone on the 17th. It took until the 15th of October for the Solaris Home Defense League to push the Word of Blake forces back out of the city and into the Reaches.[12][13][14] The Word of Blake forces would finally concede control of Solaris and leave the world on the 11th of December 3071.[14][15]

During the Blitz, DeMarkus Frankfurt, two time Solaris Grand Champion and the man known amongst followers of the games as the 'Infamous Hangman of Tikonov' and more importantly Thom's father, perished. Over the course of the next few months Thom vented his rage upon the Word seizing every opportunity to inflict damage upon the 'Toaster Worshipers'

Aftermath of the Word Assault and Post Ji had
In the afterwake of the Blakist assault upon Solaris, the gameworld was in shambles, with the games themselves often being battled out with argomechs and supped up militarized loadermechs. In disgust Thom disbanded the few surviving members of the Terrors, parted with the Molas Family who returned to their place within the chaotic Free Worlds League, and with his father's mech and cousin by his side, left Solaris in pursuit of more of the Word often signing up or aligning himself with units heading out to mop up the fanatics.

Current affiliation: None though he has loose ties to several merc units, and has learned how to play nice with others since the Clan War. He doesn't particularly like the thought of being Stone's lackey, but working for the Republic of the Sphere has it's perks so he's there. After all, everyone should visit Terra at least once in their lifetime...

Mech: Customized Cataphract 'Pain Bringer'

Callsign: Bad Luck

Deep Background: Thom is actually one of the many illegitimate grand sons of Pavel Ridzik, who we all know was a womanizer. It seems that the Strategic Coordinator forced himself upon a Warlockian girl during one of the Liao family's trips to their Winter Palace. Also, Thom has a fierce hatred for Kai Allard-Liao who he utterly despises for some slights (real or imagined, who knows.) that was done to him during their time at NAMA.

Combat assesment: Brutally effective and opertunistic as always, Thom has proven to have a sharp tactical mind and a natural knack when it comes to the controls of a battlemech. Infact studies and performace evaluations have shown him to land shots from Particle Cannons 12% more often than mechwarriors of equal ability. It is unknown at this time if it is a natral affinity for the weapon, or some time of technological advantage.

Spoiler

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 12 December 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#27 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

so what does your mech have on it?

also, this is why character continuity is fun.

#28 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

Working on it, got the weight done just needing to see if I can get everything to fit... If not, back to the drawing board. You cool with Stealth armor?

#29 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

not sure how much use it will be, least through what i have planned out.

go for it.

#30 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

Wow Thom, that's awesome. i need to find a character like that for me, that continuity is awesome

#31 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

i have some in mine, but no 7-8 RP ones.

#32 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

on a side note, you ever want to do that solaris RP, i'm game. will be fun to use solaris tech.

#33 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

I was seriously thinking about scraping Midale altogether and doing a Solaris Riots RP, but some folks talked me out of it. But I'd really like to throw that idea out there for any prospective GMs that may be reading this...

#34 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 11 December 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I was seriously thinking about scraping Midale altogether and doing a Solaris Riots RP, but some folks talked me out of it. But I'd really like to throw that idea out there for any prospective GMs that may be reading this...

Might be my turn, I don't know if i could balance it with school and 3 RPs once these get going. I'll read up on it tho and keep it in mind

#35 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

If that's the case, then I highly recommend the novel 'Illusions of Victory' by Loren Coleman which has the Solaris Riots as the setting. Take that borrow some places and things from L&D and there you go.

Edit: Added the Pain Bringer, DeMarkus' Cataphract... All in all I'm not too pleased with it. Every time I write up a 70 tonner I end up making a wanna be WarHammer.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 11 December 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#36 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

Well i am off for a few weeks after friday so ill see if i cant get some research in

#37 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:43 AM

but yeah, i already got the mech made. 50 ton 7/11 mech with a mace, TSM, and weaponry that can keep it right in the TSM sweet spot.

#38 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

Cataphract

Mass: 70 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Advanced Rules
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 11,567,650 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,474

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 280 Light Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Light Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
1 Snub-Nose PPC
1 LB 10-X AC
1 Ultra AC/5
1 LRM-10
1 Medium Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 107 points 3.50
Internal Locations: 2 LT, 5 RT, 5 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Engine: Light Fusion Engine 280 12.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 10(20) 0.00
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Light Ferro-Fibrous AV - 195 11.50
Armor Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 2 RT, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 22 30
Center Torso (rear) 8
L/R Torso 15 22
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 11 19
L/R Leg 15 25

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium Laser CT 3 1 1.00
LRM-10 RT 4 2 5.00
Ultra AC/5 LT 1 5 9.00
Snub-Nose PPC RA 10 2 6.00
LB 10-X AC LA 2 6 11.00
@LRM-10 (12) RT - 1 1.00
@Ultra AC/5 (40) LT - 2 2.00
@LB 10-X (Cluster) (10) LA - 1 1.00
@LB 10-X (Slug) (10) LA - 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 3

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 7 Points: 15
4 4 4 2 0 3 0 Structure: 4
Special Abilities: SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, IF 1, FLK 1/1/1

this seems cataphract like.
if you don't want the snub nose you could easily drop it and the medium laser and throw in an ER for only 2 more heat, albeit at a reduction in firepower.

Edited by dal10, 12 December 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#39 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

Has a very 3d with no JJ feel. i like it

#40 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

i really like snub-nosed ppcs.
there one of the few weapons clanners don't have an answer to that is better. 9 hex short range is rediculous.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users