U.i. 2.0

31 replies to this topic

#1 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

please. Keep this thread in some area of GD as it would be useful for the devs, for the players , for everyone to discuss what has transpired with U.I. 2.0 so far.

I have always questioned in my mind just how much the devs actually play this game. There is a reason most everyone I know of goes to smurfys or some other place to actually build their mechs. I know I do.
It seems the devs do not
Taking a look at the feedback from the second UI test and the poll gave me a headache. There is a simple intuitive ,informative place for mech crafting and that is smurfys. WHy have the devs done what they did with UI 2.0. ?

Its beyond my comprehension.

Its disheartening to say the least all the hubabaloo about UI2.0 and then to see such underwhelming feedback.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

After we've gotten this deep into UI 2.0's development, I have very strong doubts that its mechlab interface will see any serious changes between now and when it goes live (probably a few months?).

#3 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Captain Stiffy, 28 November 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#4 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

I think the appearance is just a small part of UI2.0 and the layout and design is all relatively easy to change. I believe the majority of work they've been doing is stuff you can't see. Things like stability, stat/rep tracking, no downtime server updates, DX11 and **** like that are big parts of the "Behind the Scenes" stuff they have been talking about wanting to make work properly the first time out.

#5 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

View Postmekabuser, on 28 November 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

please. Keep this thread in some area of GD as it would be useful for the devs, for the players , for everyone to discuss what has transpired with U.I. 2.0 so far.

I have always questioned in my mind just how much the devs actually play this game. There is a reason most everyone I know of goes to smurfys or some other place to actually build their mechs. I know I do.
It seems the devs do not
Taking a look at the feedback from the second UI test and the poll gave me a headache. There is a simple intuitive ,informative place for mech crafting and that is smurfys. WHy have the devs done what they did with UI 2.0. ?

Its beyond my comprehension.

Its disheartening to say the least all the hubabaloo about UI2.0 and then to see such underwhelming feedback.

I don't think smurfy's is the final solution but... from what I have seen with U.I. 2.0 they somehow let both the publisher AND marketing into the planning meetings for it so they should flush whatever they made down the toilet and give it to a junior programmer to do in a weekend because that's going to be 1000x better than anything that was ever designed to be monetized - by the very nature of business itself.

#6 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostBiglead, on 28 November 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

I think the appearance is just a small part of UI2.0 and the layout and design is all relatively easy to change. I believe the majority of work they've been doing is stuff you can't see. Things like stability, stat/rep tracking, no downtime server updates, DX11 and **** like that are big parts of the "Behind the Scenes" stuff they have been talking about wanting to make work properly the first time out.

Well for someone like me that submits themselves regularly to experiences like rust, tabula rasa (the beta was even worse) etc... all (and this is a long segue but I think their "LAUNCH PARTY" was more of a "WOOOOOO! WE CAN!" and less of an actual announcement of completion. They didn't COMPLETE anything and the launch patch was sad, sad.) but I digress -

This game is basically still in Beta with them testing new overhauls and that kind of {Scrap}.

Don't expect a polished product. We just can't, it's not realistic. The devs might want to pump their butts full of air and have fart parties but regardless of if they believe this is a finished product YOU should NOT.

#7 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

I commented about lack of a center focal point during the first public test phase.

The microscope print also needs to go.

Some sort of Vocal AI that says

"Good morning Corbon Zackery"

"You currently have 58 days of Premium time left and 2100 Mech credits would you like to buy more from the store?

"The Funky Town sale will Currently expire in 3 days would you like to view these sale items."

"Here is the current state of the galaxy."

With the option to buy with mech credits different vocal AI's including the Hal 6000.

Then you have off to the right in a small to medium box that can be expanded. The ISN Comstar news feed a fixed 2 hour broadcast that changes every week with programs like the Think tank, or Bobs guide to mech building, Later on ISN news would let you know of recent shifts on the community warfare front. With a spectator view of matches in progress. Dev. would let us know of upcoming events or mechs also some commercials who doesn't love commercials.

People spend on average 30min to a hour in the mech lab building and tinkering before launching into the game. So give them something to watch during that time. Market and sell, sell, sell things.

UI 2.0 is suppose to be better than the current UI. In the first public test we gave them mixed reviews. That kind of threw them into hopeless depression because they worked so hard and devoted all the time, and its not ready. All these thing are piling up behind UI 2.0.

Its like the US military in WW2 you make a great Dive bomber only to replace it later on in the war with a crappy one. That's what were looking at right now. We like you to drive a Audi for 6 month, then were going to give you a Yugo for the rest of the time.

Doing a public test on Turkey day also known in the US as Thanksgiving was not the brightest idea in the world there's this thing called Football that happens at Noon. Also people tend to visit old people who have no idea what a computer is. Just saying it was a poor timing.

From what it looks like from todays comments and public testing. Does it work? YES! Is it better than what we got right now? NO! Is PGI listening to their public testers feedback and making changes based on that feedback? NO! Will they push 2.0 forward and promise to fix it all later on? Yes!

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 28 November 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#8 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 28 November 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

Well for someone like me that submits themselves regularly to experiences like rust, tabula rasa (the beta was even worse) etc... all (and this is a long segue but I think their "LAUNCH PARTY" was more of a "WOOOOOO! WE CAN!" and less of an actual announcement of completion. They didn't COMPLETE anything and the launch patch was sad, sad.) but I digress -

This game is basically still in Beta with them testing new overhauls and that kind of {Scrap}.

Don't expect a polished product. We just can't, it's not realistic. The devs might want to pump their butts full of air and have fart parties but regardless of if they believe this is a finished product YOU should NOT.

I don't think there is one Dev post stating this game was anywhere near finished.

#9 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

In what should probably be my last post ever on this topic... I am so full of doom, dread and despair for the state of the game when it comes to UI 2.0 that if I lived only for this game (which I do not) I would totally off myself over it.

It's going to be 10% what we hoped and 90% what their publisher and marketing hoped.

domdomdomdomodododoDDOMDOMD DOOOOM DOOOOOOM
Posted Image

View PostBiglead, on 28 November 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

I don't think there is one Dev post stating this game was anywhere near finished.

Then why was "LAUNCH PARTY" for what? Why the declaration of the end of beta if they still have major overhauls that have been in production since very early beta that aren't implemented? It was just a dog and pony show for the publisher.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 28 November 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

In what should probably be my last post ever on this topic... I am so full of doom, dread and despair for the state of the game when it comes to UI 2.0 that if I lived only for this game (which I do not) I would totally off myself over it.

It's going to be 10% what we hoped and 90% what their publisher and marketing hoped.

domdomdomdomodododoDDOMDOMD DOOOOM DOOOOOOM
Posted Image

Then why was "LAUNCH PARTY" for what? Why the declaration of the end of beta if they still have major overhauls that have been in production since very early beta that aren't implemented? It was just a dog and pony show for the publisher.

#11 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostFupDup, on 28 November 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

I want this game to succeed so badly.

I usually never ever get what I want.

Edited by Captain Stiffy, 28 November 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#12 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 28 November 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

when you see words like

play now

invalid

checkout

you know the game is being made for hardcore battletech immersion... no sorry the word i'm looking for is sellouts.

what i'm wondering is... why is this a surprise to anyone? i wish someone else would give me a cataphract to pilot, alas microsoft tooketh from FASA-ACTIVISION and sat on the franchise until it dribbles out to the mess we have here.

still doom and gloom thread will go to where doom and gloom threads go. guess i'll hang around till the inevertible... enjoy the battlemaster for what little time remians of it.

*lies back in hamock sipping fine champaign watching a planet explode*

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 28 November 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#13 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 28 November 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

when you see words like

play now

invalid

checkout

you know the game is being made for hardcore battletech immersion... no sorry the word i'm looking for is sellouts.

what i'm wondering is... why is this a surprise to anyone? i wish someone else would give me a cataphract to pilot, alas microsoft tooketh from FASA-ACTIVISION and sat on the franchise until it dribbles out to the mess we have here.

still doom and gloom thread will go to where doom and gloom threads go. guess i'll hang around till the inevertible... enjoy the battlemaster for what little time remians of it.

*lies back in hamock sipping fine champaign watching a planet explode*

Battletech needs a decent knockoff franchise with a rich backstory. Stomping around in a giant robot is not worth anywhere near what anyone who has ever owned Battletech has charged for it.

In fact I may create one.

Edited by Captain Stiffy, 28 November 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#14 Laniarty

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBNE, Australia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

Just wait, the biggest feature of UI 2.0 will be the ability to buy MC in game, the ability to buy packages of mechs, mechbays and paint in game via MC... the ability to do anything in game via MC.

Everything else will be done half-assed.

#15 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostBiglead, on 28 November 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Well either UI2 delays the rest, what the devs say, or the rest delays UI2, what you say. Funny.

#16 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

I have the feeling they made an Egosoft move... like "we will simplify the space experience with X Rebirth! We lower the learning curve, new people will have it easier to get into the game!" and then they reinvented everything.

And everyone can see how that went...

please PGI, don't be stubborn, admit the mistake and listen to your community.
There's no shame in copying a successful and proven way to configure your mech. Game industry is copying concepts all day for years now, why can't you?

#17 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Re-posting my comments from Test Feedback - Public Test - UI 2.0 Preview - Part Deux:

A quick summing up:
Yes looks nice but made display to complex to use and the real information harder to find.

And my main concern:
Given the amount of work needed on this to get this UI 2.0 into useable state and fix the catalogue of bugs (See test forum). Which year are you planning to release this?

I will also add here that I wonder how much UI 2.0 is being influenced by politics of console market? As it seems likely more time being spent developing for console then fixing game.

Edited by Lupin, 29 November 2013 - 01:20 AM.

#18 Ari Dian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 28 November 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

I commented about lack of a center focal point during the first public test phase.

The microscope print also needs to go.

Some sort of Vocal AI that says

"Good morning Corbon Zackery"

"You currently have 58 days of Premium time left and 2100 Mech credits would you like to buy more from the store?

"The Funky Town sale will Currently expire in 3 days would you like to view these sale items."

"Here is the current state of the galaxy."

With the option to buy with mech credits different vocal AI's including the Hal 6000.

Posted Image

#19 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

I have build Mechs for 20 years.
I have used several MechBuilding Programms (Drawing Board RIP; Heavy Metal, Solaris Skunk Works)
Next to smurfy
Or this:
http://theoosiks.com/mechlab#
Or this:
http://outreachnews.net/mechlab#
Or the first third party MechLab by the WidowMakers
And I know that there are a couple of other programs too

Oh and of course the MechLabs of former Mechwarrior Games (with MW 2 at best and MW 4 not counting)

All of them have a single overview of ALL critical parts at once. You don't have to click through all 7 components you simple see: every component in every location at once.
You have additional informations about torso twist angle, torso twist speed, turn rate and other informations.
You have informations about dissipation, DPS effective DPS - even simulations
You can measure the weapon brackets and much more...

BTW; MWO could have the ability - to build a Mech - and test it without additional costs at least in the training grounds - but this unique selling proposition is not yet implemented?!!!
The other advantage of 1.5 MechLab in comparison with Smurfys was that I could add a component by double click (although Solaris SkunkWerks has a still the better approach - by selective allocating)

So hopefully UI2.0 will have the ability to add a XML or a link that will automatically create my Mech - i made with extern programms.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 29 November 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#20 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 28 November 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Battletech needs a decent knockoff franchise with a rich backstory. Stomping around in a giant robot is not worth anywhere near what anyone who has ever owned Battletech has charged for it.

In fact I may create one.

microsoft holds the IP

need I say anymore about why MW has come to this? and no don't try and create one cause MS and HG will be on your *** like MWLL and MEKTEC. even EA couldn't get MW back proberbly because microsoft.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 29 November 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

list of mechlabs

and don't forget lowtax's mecromancer... which no longer exsists... cause they've had enough of this game. :D

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 29 November 2013 - 01:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users