155 replies to this topic

#141 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostFupDup, on 27 November 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Perhaps I exaggerated it a tad too much, but if I heard rumors correctly we'll be getting weapon manufacturer variants with CW for owning certain planets...stuff like extra range, less heat, and supposedly even less weight on some items (there may be other tweaked variables). Having access to straight-out better equipment is something that I know I would certainly want to have secured.

Ah yes! I popped the question of whether we'd see manufacturer specific questions in ATD 30something and they said they did have a template for it. It's one feature I'd love to see, but only as "side-grades" - no one variant is outright superior to others (or else the game can get very unbalanced very quickly).

#142 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostArtgathan, on 27 November 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

According to the 20min video from the Launch Party it will be mercs that control planets, factions just open up zones that the mercs can fight in. From what I understand it'll work like this:

Davion and Kurita fight over control of a "front". Once Davion, for instance, hits X% control, mercs can then bid for contracts to take control of planets in the front that Davion owns.

You've got that a bit backwards. Mercs don't own or control planets. Factions do. I think you may have misunderstood part of it. Factions will be the ones that can move planetary boundaries. The mercs can be hired by factions to assist them.

#143 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 26 November 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

And yet I never said they should have owned everyone they played. I made absolutely zero comment on how they should have done, or if the results were anything but as expected.

You both inferred that on my statements.

Your provision of statistics that relate directly to outcome, "3 kills in 5 Matches", pretty much reads as "they suck really bad". Better off, next time, to avoid the responses you didn't seem to like, is don't make inferences with stats that create said inferences you weren't making. :D

#144 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

LOL when I made almost this exact same post 6 months ago I nearly got banned for it.

I guess times have changed.

#145 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

It is a good theory, at least. I do remember the PPC though, how any mech with energy hardpoints actually had PPC hardpoints, and the PPC was the go-to weapon for the serious player for oh, about 7 months. This, despite the PPC having been king for so long that every level of play was all PPCs all day.

#146 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Good point OP. Heres a list of weapon preferences i threw together. Maybe mine is similar to all of yours. This should be what PGI picks up in their metrics from me.

Weapons I use most of the time;
ac20, ac10, UAC, ac5, ac2, PPC, ER large, Large, Medium Lasers

weapons I seldom use;
LRMs, SRMs, Streaks, ER PPC, small laser, Gauss rifle, Tag

weapons I never use;
LBX, Machineguns, Flamers, Pulse Lasers, NARC

#147 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 28 November 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Your provision of statistics that relate directly to outcome, "3 kills in 5 Matches", pretty much reads as "they suck really bad".

To people that don't play 12s perhaps. Anyone that has ever ran a 12 knows how difficult and unkind they can be.

Personal skill won't make or break the match, and the only way you could possibly be shut out of a game, is to basically be out of position the entire time.

#148 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 November 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

You've got that a bit backwards. Mercs don't own or control planets. Factions do. I think you may have misunderstood part of it. Factions will be the ones that can move planetary boundaries. The mercs can be hired by factions to assist them.

They've stated repeatedly mercs can actually own planets in the outlying areas (near the Periphery). Wouldn't surprise me if they go back on it though.

View PostKin3ticX, on 29 November 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Good point OP. Heres a list of weapon preferences i threw together. Maybe mine is similar to all of yours. This should be what PGI picks up in their metrics from me.

Weapons I use most of the time;
ac20, ac10, UAC, ac5, ac2, PPC, ER large, Large, Medium Lasers

weapons I seldom use;
LRMs, SRMs, Streaks, ER PPC, small laser, Gauss rifle, Tag

weapons I never use;
LBX, Machineguns, Flamers, Pulse Lasers, NARC

We could do almost an entire thread on just this, heh.

Mostly:
AC/20, AC/5, PPC, ER PPC, Medium Laser, Small Laser, Small Pulse Laser, SRM2-6.

Often:
LRM, Gauss, TAG, Streaks

Rarely:
Large Pulse, Medium Pulse, AC10

Never:
Flamer, NARC, LBX/10, Machine Guns, AC/2.

Bonus: Worst piece of equipment in the game:
The NARC Beacon wins, defeating the Flamer and Machine Gun without even trying!

Edited by Victor Morson, 29 November 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#149 Pwnocchio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

If dev's realize that most of the players don't use items that they spent a lot of time coding they'll get the message and tweak accordingly when they have the resources to do so.

I think what is more alarming/concerning is not the 'balance' issues, but the fact that we are still waiting on UI 2.0 and there is now Community Warfare in sight.

Tweaking is something that they will presumably use over time to change the game meta/flavor. I wouldn't actually ever expect 'all mechs/weapons to be created equal' because they'll need to change the mix over time to keep the game fresh.

#150 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostPwnocchio, on 29 November 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

If dev's realize that most of the players don't use items that they spent a lot of time coding they'll get the message and tweak accordingly when they have the resources to do so.

Counterpoint: Nobody has used the flamer for a year and a half, we've all complained about it, and the last time they spent the literal, no hyperbole 5 minutes in the weapons XML to tweak it at all was about a year ago.

What I am saying is.. I don't think that's likely.

#151 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

Victor, I think you should differentiate uAC5 and AC5 on your list ..... or do you really think of them as one and the same?

For solo pugging or some 4-man, I like:
Mostly:
AC20, uAC5, AC5, PPC, SPuls, AC2.

Sometimes:
LPuls, ERLLas, LLas, MG, LB-10x, SRM, SSRM2, MG.

Rarely:
MPuls, LRM (with TAG), AC10, ERPPC.

Never:
NARC.

#152 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 28 November 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

LOL when I made almost this exact same post 6 months ago I nearly got banned for it.

I guess times have changed.

Same here when I suggested the best solution to spiders was to exploit them until the devs do something yet I received infractions and mod scorn.

Hypocritical PGI staff is deplorable on these forums.

#153 TOGSolid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

I don't think any amount of playing or not playing something will make PGI wake up to the fact that this game will be permanently FUBAR'd as long as the heat system and pinpoint damage mechanics remain as they are.
Honestly, the only thing keeping a game this fundamentally broken going for this long is the fact that it's called MechWarrior.

Edited by TOGSolid, 30 November 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#154 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

You can also take a 80 Alpha BattleMaster or a Double 40 Alpha Dragon Slayer/Protector....yes you are dead after those damage...but hey you have a premium Mech and someone is very very pissed of after getting shot by you.

Ghost Heat is great to penalize you for using such a Mech....but 80dmg on point are 80 dmg on point - in the right moment a kill is a kill. At least nobody would be able to kill you

#155 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

OP I like the Grinch reference. Also suprisingly this made sense, which i personally find rare in almost every forum post i read...

#156 Svensken

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:24 AM

if the devs dont give a fk then they dont give a fk

posting on forum dont change that

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users