10 replies to this topic

#1 RedSail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

You know, my birthday is coming up and I would like a MWO commander app. or at least a more advanced commander mode like BF4 has.

It would make me all tingly inside.

#2 RedSail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

I love the idea of promoting lances and awarding them when they follow orders.

#3 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I doubt this would happen though. Good idea, but have doubts.

#4 RedSail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Please pgi? I would love a dedicated commander especially on tablet. Hear our cries!

#5 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

facepalm we don't have freaking lobbies, reconnect and ui 2.0 sucks currently just imagine what is the chance of having something like commander mode in game yet alone tablet...

#6 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

This may not be as off the wall as it sounds. From the early days of closed beta there have been discussions on the concept of a twin seat command Mech. I have always believed that if it's ever made it would probably be based on an Atlas. The idea is to have a Pilot who controls the Mech as per normal and a Commander who I picture sat behind the Pilot (B47 Style) who would only see the Battle Map + switchable feeds from any UAV's. The Commander would have the same two way access to the chatline as with the other MechWarrior's dead or alive and so would also get tactical information from the team.

The main purpose of the Commander would be to analyse all of the incoming feeds and then working from the map, allocate / task specific Mechs to targets or as backup to specific battles. He or She would have the ability to see the loadouts of all Mechs under His or Her control and in a later implementation would be able to call in Drop Ships for Evac or Ammo Resupply.

Now the important bit

Because the Commander would not be able to see the battle in the same beautiful 3D way that the MechWarrior's under His or Her command do; the device that they use for MWO could conceivably be a basic Tablet, something like a Microsoft Surface Mk 1 would be fine.

I know it's not lore, and there is a lot more to be considered before it could happen, but it would be a way for MWO to evolve and could introduce the game to a different type of player. In doing this we expand the MWO community and give the old MechCommander players a role that they could easily fit into.

#7 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostOppresor, on 07 December 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

This may not be as off the wall as it sounds. From the early days of closed beta there have been discussions on the concept of a twin seat command Mech. I have always believed that if it's ever made it would probably be based on an Atlas. The idea is to have a Pilot who controls the Mech as per normal and a Commander who I picture sat behind the Pilot (B47 Style) who would only see the Battle Map + switchable feeds from any UAV's. The Commander would have the same two way access to the chatline as with the other MechWarrior's dead or alive and so would also get tactical information from the team.

The main purpose of the Commander would be to analyse all of the incoming feeds and then working from the map, allocate / task specific Mechs to targets or as backup to specific battles. He or She would have the ability to see the loadouts of all Mechs under His or Her control and in a later implementation would be able to call in Drop Ships for Evac or Ammo Resupply.

Now the important bit

Because the Commander would not be able to see the battle in the same beautiful 3D way that the MechWarrior's under His or Her command do; the device that they use for MWO could conceivably be a basic Tablet, something like a Microsoft Surface Mk 1 would be fine.

I know it's not lore, and there is a lot more to be considered before it could happen, but it would be a way for MWO to evolve and could introduce the game to a different type of player. In doing this we expand the MWO community and give the old MechCommander players a role that they could easily fit into.

and it was to be called "THE COMMAND CONSOLE"

yep, that 3 ton piece of sh|t clogging up your mechbay was the plans for "Tablet integration", battle map "command bonuses", headshot immunity, and an extra module slot. but alas, my lass, it still does nothing

#8 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostOppresor, on 07 December 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Now the important bit

Yeah but why not make it 3d style to be played in game and so you can see what is going on you should see enemies like red dots until friendly mechs detect and one its out of visual range it should return back to red dots something like mechcommander. all they need to set up birds view camera and work from there.

#9 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

I see your point Diego, a 3D variant of the Battle Map with real-time active radar picture that is colour coded. It could also be enhanced with realistic terrain elevation data; this would help the commander to identify obvious choke points and likely positions to send Recon, Artillery Spotters or Snipers. The main thing is to make the commander focus on the Tactical picture by denying him or her a full view of the actual battle as seen from his or her pilots point of view. In doing this, the commanders version of MWO could be made to run on virtually any Tablet, not just something as powerful as a Surface. Effectively the commander would have a similar view of the battle to that that someone in the Op's room on a Destroyer would have, but initially with the chatline as an alternative way to talk to units.

#10 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Great idea, But zero chance PGI will add such feature,
(Let alone the ability to build it..)

#11 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts