Name Kungsarmé

13 replies to this topic

#1 sisAlmighty

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:13 AM

Hi!

Just wanted to give a headsup that the word kungsarmé isn't entirely accurate. Im a noob so i don't even know if this is something you people at the forum here can manipulate. Howerver it should say KungensArmé (The kings army) or KungligaArmén (The royal army) depending on which you lean against. Or you could just let it be as it is. It's accurate enough for non-swedes :).

Anyway gl hf best wishes etc // sisAlmighty

#2 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

The name Kungsarme comes from in-game BattleTech lore that is over 20 years old.

As for it being incorrect, who knows how Swedish will change in the next 1,000 years =)

Anyways, as I said this has been the canon name for the FFR's army for a very long time. It's basically a historical fact that'll never change and there is nothing any of us lowly players could do to alter that - even if we wanted.

#3 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

It should be Kungsarmén - the n at the end signifying singular form. The Swedish army is simply called "Armén" ("the army") or "Svenska Armén" ("the Swedish army"). They've dropped the "Royal" part long ago, but that would have been "Kungliga Armén" ("the Royal army").

But I'm with the Dane on this; it's not Swedish, it's Swedenese :)

#4 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBlue Ridge Mountains

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

What?

#5 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

OP is trying to flex their internet language muscles, but they are wrong because they're talking about made up stuff.

#6 Damon Howe

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

I impose Rule #11. All of your carefully constructed arguments can easily be ignored.

#7 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

View Poststjobe, on 07 November 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

it's not Swedish, it's Swedenese :)

thread winner :rolleyes:

it´s an artificial language that developed over the centuries. i guess they just made it easier ( or "the immigrants lazy way", however), so that KungsArmé was a result of simplification. if i´m not very wrong, there are several examples of such development in the american form of english as well :)

Edited by Alex Warden, 07 November 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#8 Wargtass

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

I am Swedish. Kungsarmé is perfectly acceptable, especially for a fictional army. As most of you probably already know it is Swedish for King's Army and since we swedes hate separating words like Kungsarmén and Nationalencyclopedin or even realisationsvinstbeskattning, it is perfectly fine Swedish and probably the very pinnacle of Swedenese. I am actually surprised the BT-boys got it right with the first try, something tells me they had someone Swedish in their social circles that could correct them on everything they printed.

Innan du öppnar käften se till att du vet vad du talar om.

Edited by Wargtass, 07 November 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#9 Kelb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:57 AM

Well I guess it is better than "The Drunken Horde!"

#10 sisAlmighty

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Well i thought it was a community made clan otherwise i wouldn't have bothered :P

#11 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Poststjobe, on 07 November 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

...it's not Swedish, it's Swedenese ;)

^ A mix of Swedish and Japanese that would probably sound bizarre to someone who only spoke one language or the other.

It's like if California or New Mexico accepted "Spanglish" as an official language, right? Except that's hard to imagine because it isn't a written language...at present. People have only been improvising Spanglish for a couple hundred years.

The makers of Battletech purposely set their game 1000 years in the future, where we probably wouldn't recognize any language any more. I don't think there was such a thing as English 1000 years ago, and people often have a hard time reading Shakespeare, whose wrote all those plays about 400 years ago. In fact, isn't English a blend of languages from the Angles, Normans, and Germanic people?

At sarna.net the article says the FRRs official language is Swedish, but it's future space viking Swedish, and everyone speaks and reads Swedenese in their daily life.
I don't know if its covered in more detail elsewhere, but here's how I imagine Swedenese becoming a language:
However many languages you speak, you learn one before the others. Even if your parents try to raise you speaking 2 or 3 languages, one will come first. When someone is trying to speak their second or third language, sometimes they'll fill in a gap with a word from their first language. (Like when I was trying to learn Dari, and had to tell the Afghan cleaning crew I needed bathroom I said "Mann pi$$ meykonem!" They got the idea, and thought it was hilarious. ...And I think the bathroom dance is pretty universal.)

In the Rasalhague region, the functionaries of the government, installed by the Draconis Combine, tolerated the occasional word of Swedish appearing in documents that were supposed to be written in Japanese. Eventually, they tolerated more and more Swedish vocabulary.

After 700 years of people speaking both languages, I can see where they might become irrevocably blended together.

When the Free Rasalhague Republic gained its independence, the newly elected government couldn’t just switch languages overnight. The government dealt with a lot of Japanese vocabulary and grammar in documents that were supposed to be written in Swedish.

Eventually they decide, "F it. This is how we talk. This is our language."

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 16 November 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#12 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Swedenese according to canon is spoken in only one or two major spaceport towns.

When the Normans (french speaking 3rd generation Vikings) invaded and conquered england, they started the change into what is now modern english.

Swedish was a simple catch all phrase outsiders apply to all Scandinavians.

This background lore is full of holes and should be looked at as a bare bones framework, not an all inclusive authority.
In fact, much of it could be considered false! a long history of revisionism can do much to skew perceptions.

We really speak nynorsk!

#13 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 16 November 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I don't think there was such a thing as English 1000 years ago, and people often have a hard time reading Shakespeare, whose wrote all those plays about 400 years ago. In fact, isn't English a blend of languages from the Angles, Normans, and Germanic people?

First: Who has problems reading Shakespeare? In all seriousness, English has evolved much less in the 400 years since Shakespeare's day than it had in the preceding 100.
Second: English is, in fact, a hybrid of every language that the various English-speaking cultures have encountered. Most of English is either Germanic (Angles, Jutes, Saxons, Danes, and Norwegians) or French (Normans and French) in origin. But there are words from Scottish, Irish, Celtic, Spanish, Portuguese, Welsh, Dutch, German, Belgian, Greek, Serbian, Turkish, Arabic, Farsi, Italian, various African languages, aboriginal American and Austrasian languages, Pacific Islanders, Afrikaans, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, &c., &c., &c. One of the strengths of English is how adaptable and adaptive it is. This, in turn, makes the language very difficult for people who were not raised speaking it to speak and can render some native, fluent English speakers nigh incomprehensible to native, fluent English speakers from the other side of the world.

#14 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostDamon Howe, on 07 November 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

I impose Rule #11. All of your carefully constructed arguments can easily be ignored.

1. Rule 11

If two friends of opposite gender are bored for over an hour, they must engage in sexual experimentation
Girl: God, there's nothing to do.
Guy: How long have we just been sitting here?
Girl: Over an hour.
Guy: Rule 11

resource http://www.urbandictionary.com

Edited by Klappspaten, 25 November 2013 - 12:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users