Making Our Own Community Warfare

5 replies to this topic

#1 HansBlix WMD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

I'm not sure how far or close community warfare actually is, or what it will consist of, but I had an idea some of you might like.

What if we consider MWO itself as a combat simulator only, and create our own community warfare, with our own rules for economics?

For example, we could have Faction A declare war on Faction B. We could invent a group of planets they are fighting over, with each faction starting out owning some planets with certain mech producing capabilities.

Based on those capabilities we determine which side can bring how many tons to a given fight, and what the objectives of that fight are. For example if we decide that Faction A is attacking Faction B on Planet X which produces hunchbacks, then we could have a sync drop, require Faction A to win only by conquering B's base, and B to win only by defending their base for a certain amount of time or destroying all A's forces.

Then if A wins they get the hunchback producing planet and can start including hunchback in their subsequent drops in the campaign.

We could make our own star map and have our own campaigns, all without waiting for PGI to do anything at all.

What do you guys think? I'm sure among all the tabletop types here there are some knowledgeable enough to flesh this our far better than I can.

I guess essentially what this game needs are some dungeon masters.

#2 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:39 AM

Fully flushed out and developed tools for inner sphere wars already exist. PGI even asked the creators if they could use them for their game: MWO, but they refused to give credit to the creators in exchange for the program. All we need is private lobbies and we can launch those inner sphere wars with or without the backing of PGI. I think this is the number one reason PGI has been holding back private lobbies or any kind of player determined matches. They are afraid that the community will - and it knows they already have - one upped them. They have fought against any community run warfare since closed beta, as those of us have been crusading for private lobbies have known painfully for a LONG time now. It's why player run units are or have fallen apart, and those that are still healthy have to keep recruiting to keep their numbers steady. It's all about CONTROL of their product.

It breaks my heart every time I have to explain to my Devil Dogs "We can't run tournaments because sync drops don't work. We can't run Stock only leagues because sync dropping doesn't work. Practicing 12 mans is frustrating because their are 1. no rewards for the pain and 2. no way to effectively play against teams in our own skill bracket." This post you put up is bringing up all the negative shizzle in me, because I KNOW that we can run our own leagues successfully. It's been done in the past and we can do so again. Yes, MWO is a great platform for this, I totally agree.

It's all bullshizzle, these delays. Lobbies are part of any decent MMO out there. We will still have to grind out new mechs and gear on the regular MWO game, and I'll tell you what: PGI win either way if they give us lobbies. Some players will run realistic simulators and open planetary capture type games and others will embrace the community warfare PGI is cooking up. They'll have MORE of both types of players buying their stuff. But my-oh-my, they're dragging their behind on giving us lobbies, which is probably the NUMBER ONE MOST REQUESTED feature of the game since day one.

I think I'm really, really, really ticked off partly because PGI said they'd have UI 2.0 out by now at the launch party. I geared up my Devil Dogs, started training intensely. My guys ground out C-Bills to buy the new dropship. My guys are now starting to go dormant again. PGI, give us a frackin' break and give us private lobbies. We'll happily wait for the rest of the content if we have something to do! And Private Lobbies will keep us occupied for months even without a new mech or cockpit do-dads to keep us occupied. ARGH!!!! WHY DID YOU WAKE UP THE BOOGEYMAN, Hans, WHY??

Edited by Peiper, 26 November 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#3 Shekky Thermopylae

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTorrance, CA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

OK, so I think it's a little paranoid to think PGI is "holding back" lobbies to confound our ability to do tourneys and leagues. Sync maps are a pain in the butt, but they do work. I can think of at least 3 leagues/tourneys going on right now, and I'll bet there are a few more I haven't even heard of:
  • Proxis
  • Run Hot or Die
  • Corporate Warfare
I'm ticked that UI 2.0 isn't out, but I'm of the mind that I'd rather wait for it to be done than have to deal with a bugfest if they released it before it was complete. I totally feel your pain in trying to keep your members engaged, tho'.

#4 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

Go by the simple pattern set up by 3025 with a more supported and advanced base. That is to complecated for you to do? Thanks for distroying what could have made you all rich and us happy. No Patch again? Stop drinking Moosehead and get some programmers that think.

#5 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostShekky Thermopylae, on 26 November 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

OK, so I think it's a little paranoid to think PGI is "holding back" lobbies to confound our ability to do tourneys and leagues.

Dunno. I'd do it if I were PGI.

#6 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

I remember somebody said PGI has about 17 people working the art department in various positions. But less then that in the programming roles. So I can't help but be cynical in thinking they're content to keep putting out new hero mechs to make profit. Whilest slowly working toward UI 2.0 and CW. All of the smaller features to this point have taken months to be released. So UI 2.0 and subsequently CW feel like they're far off.

Edited by Tezcatli, 26 November 2013 - 01:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users