No replies to this topic

#1 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

This topic came up in discussion last week at the trouble of hitting mechs we were leading, especially for players with higher pings like those of us in Australia. The problem being I'm leading a mech that is 500m away but my reticule is looking at terrain 2km away. My weapons are converging 2km away and not 500m away. This leads to shots straying wide or hitting locations I don't want to hit.

The proposed idea being that your mechs weapons should converge on the range of the targeted mech. If I've got a mech targeted 500m away my weapons should converge 500m away and not the terrain I'm looking at.

If this sort of system was implemented you would see a few things occur:

1. More people will be using 'R' to lock onto their targets, this supports LRM boats and adds to situational awareness for your entire team. This adds to the tactical gameplay of MWO and the portrayal of the thinking mans shooter.
2. This would remove the issue of terrain convergence clipping, where I would have my target under my reticule but my shot would shoot into the air because I was 'looking' at invisible terrain.
3. This would add an additional layer of ECM coverage, if people can't target my mech their weapons would have additional difficulty hitting my mech as they try to lead.
4. This would also add undesirable effects, like jump snipers being able to instantly fire their shot rather than waiting for the convergence to take effect, but this again comes back to situational awareness, but also the ECM effect could come into play here to prevent that from occurring so easily.
5. It adds an additional layer to TAG and Narc (Well not so much Narc), as they counter ECM allowing me to target a mech to setup my convergence.
6. This minimizes the effect of HSR shots not hitting as my weapons are actually converging on that target's range and not the hill 2km away.

Personally I think this could be a very effective system if it were implemented, as noted above I can foresee a few changes to the way the game would play but ultimately this feels like a step in the right direction.

Edited by Stonefalcon, 25 November 2013 - 03:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users