• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostBront, on 26 November 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

You're assuming they aren't.

An assumption based on past experience.

Saying that Star Citizen will flounder in a beta-esque limbo for the next 2 years; crazy assumption.

Saying that we're going to blow past another dev deadline in MWO without a major update ...not so much

Edited by Sug, 26 November 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#42 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostSandpit, on 26 November 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

That is completely out of context. You're referencing employees goofing off on social media site INSTEAD of being constructive at work. Big difference. 30 seconds for a tweet or post on here in the course of your normal work duties is not. Sorry that's just a horrible example.

Is it?

You presume that workers who would post work-related social media content would not have any disposition to segway into their personal social media distractions... ;)

I monitor / maintain gated access to social media where I work and it's amazing the number of times my employees "attempt" to segway into their own distractions. :P

Statistics have shown roughly 2 hours of productivity is lost to each individual employee "daily" when left to their own accord. :P

.. Just say'n.

#43 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 26 November 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Yep, then once customization is limited it will be whatever FoTM chassis carries whatever is currently OP. It's like these hardpoint restriction folks think the problem is customization. It's not, it's min maxers. They will only use what they judge to be OP. If they can customize, they will customize to make use of the OP stuff, if they can't they will use whatever chassis allows the most OP stuff to be carried. Folks like that don't want and can't understand diversity. They want what is best and that's what they will use.
No amount of limiting customization will limit min maxers using what is OP. All you do is change which chassis gets used more. It won't create any diversity. It's simply treating a symptom, the disease is not effected.

Yea,that's true.No,it wouldn't stop min/maxers,but It would help to limit the craziness of PPC's in medium laser slots,and ac20's in machine gun slots at least.

I'd really rather just have a stock game mode option and an open game mode option.You know,i mean if stock mechs didn't suck gigantic elephant **** in MWO and we actually had enough players to support the queue's.

Of course,I'd also like to see auto cannons fire in a burst of 3-5 shells instead of 1 shot per button press,and SRM's ripple firing.that would also help downplay the pinpoint alpha meta that has permeated MWO since it's inception a little as well.

but,i've been farting into the wind on all of this since early closed beta,so you know,there's that.

Edited by Alexandrix, 26 November 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#44 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 26 November 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Quoted for Justice.

As was pointed out in another thread.. or maybe this one, the 'meta' has shifted to more or less balanced builds. Something that many of us have been doing all along.

huh? Not from what I've seen. oh well...

Edited by Sybreed, 26 November 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#45 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostSybreed, on 26 November 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

huh? Not from what I've seen. oh well...

That's why I have to keep saying "YMMV", we all have different experiences in the game. :P

#46 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 26 November 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

You're sure about that right? Or is ending your Post, sounding like a true douche', the in thing to do around here now? Pathetic...

I'm sorry, but I won't take your insults as you've made them out of pure ignorance. Bryan has been taking prolonged vacations, I remember he has taken somewhere close to 6-8 weeks of vacation just during the summer, as he himself stated. I personally don't get how such an important part of the team can afford to take so much time off. So, in order words, yes I'm sure about that, and that is quite moronic of you to call me a douche for stating a fact.

View PostRoadbeer, on 26 November 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

That's why I have to keep saying "YMMV", we all have different experiences in the game. :P

well, pardon my french, mais j'ai aucune criss d'idée "YMMV" veut dire quoi.

translation: I have no freaking idea what YMMV stands for

Edited by Sybreed, 26 November 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#47 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Your Mileage May Vary

#48 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 26 November 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Your Mileage May Vary

ah, then again, I use the metric system :P

Kidding. I'll try the game again when they'll have significant progresses done. As for now, I have tons of games backlogged anyway and buying my new GTX 780 TI (which, interestingly enough, didn't really improve the performance in MWO) gave me Splinter Cell Blacklist and Assassin's Creed 4 for free ;)

#49 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostSybreed, on 26 November 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but I won't take your insults as you've made them out of pure ignorance. Bryan has been taking prolonged vacations, I remember he has taken somewhere close to 6-8 weeks of vacation just during the summer, as he himself stated. I personally don't get how such an important part of the team can afford to take so much time off. So, in order words, yes I'm sure about that, and that is quite moronic of you to call me a douche for stating a fact.

well, pardon my french, mais j'ai aucune criss d'idée "YMMV" veut dire quoi.

translation: I have no freaking idea what YMMV stands for

Admitted... I have no horse in this disagreement...

That said, not all "vacation" is created equal... I've taken vacation days to go "up-north" and go fishing... I've also taken vacation days to tend to the wishes and affairs of departed loved ones.

In short... not all vacation days are created equal and as such, I'd be inclined to cut some slack as we have no frame of reference save conjecture...

Edited by DaZur, 26 November 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#50 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostDaZur, on 26 November 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Admitted... I have no horse in this disagreement...

That said, not all "vacation" is created equal... I've taken vacation days to go "up-north" and go fishing... I've also taken vacation days to tend to the wishes and affairs of departed loved ones.

In short... not all vacation days are created equal and as such, I'd be inclined to cut some slack as we have no frame of reference save conjecture...

fair enough, although I did find it strange that he was taking time off again this month.

I asked if he had personal stuff going on, but I never had an answer... which is also understandable. Still. It's still a key member that's often not working on the project.

Edited by Sybreed, 26 November 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#51 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's starting to look a lot like Christmas....

#52 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostSybreed, on 26 November 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

fair enough, although I did find it strange that he was taking time off again this month.

I asked if he had personal stuff going on, but I never had an answer... which is also understandable. Still. It's still a key member that's often not working on the project.

Your point is obviously valid... I'm just a little sensitive to the situation. (Long story) :P

#53 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostSandpit, on 26 November 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

That is completely out of context. You're referencing employees goofing off on social media site INSTEAD of being constructive at work. Big difference. 30 seconds for a tweet or post on here in the course of your normal work duties is not. Sorry that's just a horrible example.

I banned almost all social media use in my company and it made a huge difference to productivity.

It's not just the time it takes to communicate. its the effort that goes into deciding what to communicate as well - in PGI's case a single misspoken word can often mean a riot on the forums as we love to tear into them like we do our politicans for every tiny mistake, and yet when things are done "correctly" in someones opinion, getting praise is like drawing water from sand.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 26 November 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#54 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Hexenhammer, 26 November 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#55 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 26 November 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I banned almost all social media use in my company and it made a huge difference to productivity.

It's not just the time it takes to communicate. its the effort that goes into deciding what to communicate as well - in PGI's case a single misspoken word can often mean a riot on the forums as we love to tear into them like we do our politicans for every tiny mistake, and yet when things are done "correctly" in someones opinion, getting praise is like drawing water from sand.

That's still nothing more than an excuse. If you're developing an online entity for customers and your entire customer base is rooted in online entertainment and forums and a game, posting updates to those customers is not for your own personal entertainment. We're not talking about trolling facebook looking for a date friday night. We're talking about communicating to your customer base. How you can compare the two is beyond me.

#56 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostDaZur, on 26 November 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

I'm optimistically interpreting the silence as the lull before the storm... :P

Things are quiet... too quiet... ;)

#57 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostSybreed, on 26 November 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Did Paul stop working on the game balance? Or, did he finally realize we need a complete overhaul of several mechanics and has to work non-stop now?

They did last year for that eight month stretch too. It wouldn't surprise me if he said "Interns don't touch anything, for only I can edit this file. And I might consider taking 30 seconds to change a number in the XML when things get really bad. Until then, do not disturb me" followed by the sounds of youtube coming through the office door.

In all seriousness I've brought this up a few times since the last announcement. I even had a Feature Request thread asking for them to spend just 5 minutes per patch cycle making small adjustments to weapons; large changes aren't even needed if they could stick to the 5 minute rule.

So yeah, I'm pretty worried they've fallen off the map again going "Mission accomplished we launched! Our job is done here!"

PS: Yes, they can take 5 minutes away from UI2.0 to edit an XML. Literally changing weapons takes 30 freaking seconds max. If done at the start of the patch cycle, the changes can be tested naturally.

Edited by Victor Morson, 26 November 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#58 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostDaZur, on 26 November 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Your point is obviously valid... I'm just a little sensitive to the situation. (Long story) :P

ah, well I guess I understand where you come from.

And if you want to understand where I come from, I'm an autonomous worker (and soon, possibly an employer) who only took 4 weeks of vacation over the last 3 years. But, personal stuff > all. I wouldn't ask my employees to never take time off to solve personal matters, but when you're the boss, you're supposed to be able to manage everything at the same time. Hence why I talked about this earlier...

#59 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 26 November 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Things are quiet... too quiet... :P

BE CAREFUL IT'S A

No, wait. That part comes later.

#60 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip