Zellbrigen

8 replies to this topic

#1 SniperCon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

I was thinking about the possibility of zellbrigen in the game. Something like if one side is reduced to a single player, either side claim the right of zellbrigen and duel the remaining opposition one at a time.

At such a time, the two participating players obtain target locks which can't be broken by ecm or line of sight, and everyone else's weapons are disabled. Base capping ends. A radius of operation is established, exiting which results in the out of bounds self-destruction countdown.

I think this could cut down on "cheap" wins, when a non-combatant wins by cap. If you abandon your team, you'll be forced to fight eventually. Also quickly end matches where the last player is AFK or hiding.

It would also give the last player of a one-sided stomp a fighting chance to get at least a kill or two with the possibility of some epic comebacks. My favorite moments in MWO are watching or being the last light frenetically picking apart enemies in a 1 v 4-5 situation.

Of course there are also ways to abuse zellbrigen so thoughts?

(for the record I feel that "cheap" cap wins are 100% legit)

#2 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have a feeling that zellbrigen will be one of the ways that they balance the Clans....as a means of enforcing an honor system on Clan players.

#3 Deadmeat313

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationPreston - UK

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm sure many Clan players will be passionate about zellbrigen, but I'd rather not see it firmly enforced by in game mechanics.

#4 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostDeadmeat313, on 26 November 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

I'm sure many Clan players will be passionate about zellbrigen, but I'd rather not see it firmly enforced by in game mechanics.

this

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostDeadmeat313, on 26 November 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

I think as long as it's not enforced punitively, but instead positively as a reward it will be fine. After all, if there's no benefit for following the code, then there will be just as many Clan players that will simply ignore it.

#6 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 26 November 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I think as long as it's not enforced punitively, but instead positively as a reward it will be fine. After all, if there's no benefit for following the code, then there will be just as many Clan players that will simply ignore it.

and this

#7 Deadmeat313

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationPreston - UK

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 26 November 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Agreed! The game should track individual honour performance for Clan MechWarriors, and reward those who fight the Clan way. I wouldn't mind hardcoded geegaws to facilitate this - such as modifications to the HUD to highlight duels in progress, perhaps? Pilots should have the opportunity to ignore it though.

Zellbrigen would not be honourable if it was mandatory.

#8 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Considering how quickly Zell was discarded in the novels after the initial invasion I do not expect it to be utilized as any sort of game mechanic in this game. Plus how would one enforce it given that lonewolves are the round out forces for drops in CW (alledgedly)?

It is fun fluff and once lobbies come in Clans will be able to employ it in isolation but I doubt it makes an appearance in the broader game.

#9 SniperCon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostDeadmeat313, on 26 November 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Agreed! The game should track individual honour performance for Clan MechWarriors, and reward those who fight the Clan way. I wouldn't mind hardcoded geegaws to facilitate this - such as modifications to the HUD to highlight duels in progress, perhaps? Pilots should have the opportunity to ignore it though.

Zellbrigen would not be honourable if it was mandatory.

Maybe participating and following the parameters of zellbrigen would earn loyalty bonuses with your and your opponent's factions.

View PostLukoi, on 26 November 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Considering how quickly Zell was discarded in the novels after the initial invasion I do not expect it to be utilized as any sort of game mechanic in this game. Plus how would one enforce it given that lonewolves are the round out forces for drops in CW (alledgedly)?

It is fun fluff and once lobbies come in Clans will be able to employ it in isolation but I doubt it makes an appearance in the broader game.

I still think that 1 v 4+ comeback battles make for the most exciting moments for both players and spectators. Zellbrigen could be a way to encourage memorable experiences like these. Right now it only happens rarely when the leading team is split up and can be engaged individually. More often, the lone survivor is found and focused down in seconds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users