14 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

In this thread, over at the Star Citizen forum:

https://forums.rober...ications#latest

The OP says the devs aren't communicating enough, and on the first page you already have a few "You think it's bad? Just look at MWO" kind of response. I actually lol'ed while reading that.

(I tried posting this on jettisoned comm to save the mods some time but it wouldn't let me)

#2 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

I can't wait, at some point, there will be some misstep on the part of the devs over there, then they get to enjoy the completely unnecessary neckbeard nerdrage that PGI has suffered, over here.

At which point, I'm going to point and laugh at all those "PGI ate my baby" mouth-breathers.

#3 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 21 November 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

I can't wait, at some point, there will be some misstep on the part of the devs over there, then they get to enjoy the completely unnecessary neckbeard nerdrage that PGI has suffered, over here.

At which point, I'm going to point and laugh at all those "PGI ate my baby" mouth-breathers.

you know, PGI used to communicate a lot back in early CB before the founders got in. It all changed when everyone played the game and said "soooo... that's it?"

If the same thing happens with SC then AH! Indeed. But, so far they've proven pretty capable, more than I expected.

#4 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

With great expectation, comes great lynching mob.

#5 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

[color=#96C9E6]I know I'm not as I see others making similar complaints amongst a horde of players who seem to believe the developers can do no wrong (all of which will undoubtedly flame me for speaking my mind).[/color]

White Knights? Check.

[color=#96C9E6]You've gone $5 million+ over your initial funding goal - surely you can spare a fraction of that for a much needed forum liaison?[/color]

Big kickstarter? Check.

[color=#96C9E6]As time goes by the communication worsens, but we keep throwing money at development every time we see a picture of a new (or old) ship.[/color]

Sounds like the MW:O community? Check.

The whole post could easily have been made in these forums.

#6 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

Exactly. If you think the sense of entitlement that some Legendary founders have here is nuts, wait until those Marshals complain about how they can't insta-kill single seat fighters in their Idris. ;)

Once they start trying to balance the economy, weapons, piracy, exploration, mining, etc, you're going to see some real forum rage.

"You said we could board ships and capture them! But we lose money when we try it! IT'S NOT BALANCED, WHY DID YOU EVEN BOTHER TO INCLUDE IT!!"

edit: Don't worry everyone, I'll be over there to whiteknight CIG as well. Rear Admiral Markemp reporting for duty! (and my evil twin Heffay, skipper of the notorious Drake Cutlass, raiding people from behind in the darkest corners of the galaxy!)

Edited by Heffay, 22 November 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#7 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for typing your names Heffay, I'll be sure to put you on my #1 priority bounty hunting list :D

#8 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostSybreed, on 22 November 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Thanks for typing your names Heffay, I'll be sure to put you on my #1 priority bounty hunting list :D

You should go read my post on the RSI forums about how to use the SC assets. I outted myself there long ago. It's the worst kept sekrit in the multiverse. :rolleyes:

#9 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

don't worry, i am going to start baiting people into ambushes before this is all over.

#10 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

View Postdal10, on 22 November 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

don't worry, i am going to start baiting people into ambushes before this is all over.

Posted Image

#11 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

but no one can withstand a tarp of this magnitude.

#12 Henry Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

It's pretty much the same cycle most every online game with a forum goes through.

Announcement:
Much Excitement
Singing praises for the Devs
Rejoicing in the streets

Alpha testing, initial game play details, and screenshots/video:
Even more excitement
Proclamations by the player base that this will be THE WoW-killer
Some questions for the Dev's but still more excitement.
Selective posting of any game mag/blog that has a positive forecast for the game

Closed Beta testing. Additional game play details and screenshots:
Players chosen for closed Beta make sure those not in beta know how much fun it is.
Some forum angst over those chosen to be in closed beta and those who are not.
Anticipation for release is amplified as is the excitement
Perhaps pre-order option is available, with a small cost increase for access to closed beta.
Player base will typically be fans of the game/genre/title and not the general public.

Initial release:
Players sing praises to the Devs
Lots of "Thank you", "OMG this is fun" type of posts
Community is helpful to new players and respectful to each other.

After first month:
Shiny is starting to wear off, and some negative posts.
Gripe posts starting to make an appearance
Players starting to get less tolerant of newbies.

After first 3 months:
Honeymoon is over.
Players giving the Dev's heat.
Singing praises of the devs and game is now the minority.
Players not tolerant of new players and "L2P" is common
Forums turning into nothing but a complain and bickering department.
Some players leave, proclaiming the new shiny game they've seen will be even better than this one.

After 6 months and greater:
Forum has turned into nothing but a cesspool of complaining and entitlement.
Majority of players avoid the forums, short of patch notes.
Posts are complaint after complaint after complaint, with every poster knowing the 'best' way the game should be run
Claims the game is "dead" and all of peoples 'friends' have left for <insert new game here> which is going to be WAY better then this one.

#13 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

I think predictions of grognard rage in 6 months after initial release are way too optimistic. Problem isn't only in extreme inflation of expectations, but in diveristy of them - most of the backers have thrown money at Roberts with only vague outline of what the game'll actually be like, so when game finally releases at least some of them will be dissapointed.

For example - most of the people are certain it won't be F2P, but to me it looks like they're even now selling <renders of> premium content that you'll otherwise (I assume) have to grind for.

Edited by ssm, 26 November 2013 - 04:35 AM.

#14 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

View Postxengk, on 22 November 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

With great expectation, comes great lynching mob.

Which is why I think some games ( MWO included should be still in closed beta )

#15 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 26 November 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

Which is why I think some games ( MWO included should be still in closed beta )

No crowdfunding non-sense if they already have publisher backing, as the publisher will always have a bigger say then backers.
Keep expectation realistic by only announce complete or close to complete features.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users