Black Friday Sales

27 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

I am posting this thread because since i have returned i realized my computer can not handle the game any more.. I did ok when it was 8v8, but the jump to 12 v 12, the lag is just to great.

I have a 8400 duo core, 4 gigs ram, and a TI 550. the computer barely held it together at 8v8, but i could play. Now it is just not possible.. the stutter from lag, is just to bad and i can't aim at all.. after 4 matches and not being able to hit the board side of a barn 3/4 of the time due to the slide show..

I'am looking for a Chip/board/ram.. combo around 350.. Is there anything around this cost that might help me, or am i just SOL for that price?

I know sometimes there are some amazing deals to be found.. so i was hoping that those mech lovers out there in mech land could keep an eye out.

what about the AMD vrs Intel? i know these flip back and forth for what is the best deal.. any thoughts on what is better these days? Perhaps a board that would give me the option to drop 2 vid cards down the road would be worth spending a little extra on.., along with possibly being able to pop in a more advanced chip down the road.

So what is hot these days? I swear when you upgrade every 2-3 years, you need a complete re-education each time... I realize the sales are a few days away, but any thoughts on what i should be keeping my eye on for "value" for me, the biggest issue is the MB, what is the hot value board these days,

Edited by JC Daxion, 27 November 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'd check the hardware section. http://mwomercs.com/...re-accessories/

#3 Junkman7mgte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

I don't recall the specs, but, Grandpa bought my Son a rig off Newegg, for $500. I do recall it came with 8 gigs of ram, and it runs the game at aprox. 35fps consistently. With sales coming, your budget just may be close enough for a complete rig, not just parts.

#4 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

That CPU is garbage. You need a quad core or more running Windows 7/8 with 8 gig RAM. If you save the case and video card you can easily upgrade under budget. Do you have access to an installable modern OS or will that cost you money? That would affect the upgrade vs. new decision.

http://www.tomshardw...clock,3106.html

Edited by Spheroid, 27 November 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#5 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

A CPU upgrade should put you back in the game. Get at least an i5. Honestly, an i5 should be enough, though you'll probably need a board and memory. Not sure if you can do that for under $350, but you can already do it for under $400, so under $350 on black friday might work ok.

#6 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

when buying computer parts i use newegg, microcenter or tigerdirect they seem to always have the best deals.i know microcenter has bundle deals like cpu ram and motherboard..good luck.

#7 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

I have an I7, but it is very old now comparitively (920) and it runs the game at 25-30 FPS when I had my old GTX275 card in, and now I see 50-60 regularily with my SLI GTX650 TI Boost I just bought. I know there isnt much need at all for SLI, but the difference between the GTX275 and 650TI Boost was remarkable for me.

It seems there is deffinatly a requirment for cryengine for CPU power vs GPU power. While having a fairly modern GPU is important just for process speed and memory speed, if your CPU is a dual core or older, you will see horrendous performance.

That said, I can run the game on completely acceptable frame rate with a CPU made in 2009. Quad core really makes a big diff on this game, even one running in the high 2's. I know most newer ones are in the 3's and 4's. (GHz)

Your RAM: I dont know what it is, but 4 gigs should be ok. Now, when I say "what it is" I mean the speed of it. If it is really, ancient antiquity type stuff, well, might not cut it. but if it is from the last few years even, I dont see an issue. I havent swapped mine since I built my box in Late 09.

It really is the CPU I think in your case. I would focus my funds on MB and CPU if I were in your shoes. Maybe RAM if you have some stuff from like 2007 or something. basically if the RAM is old enough to make you research to see if your MB is "backwards compatible enough" to use it, you might want to look at RAM purchase also. But, IMO, the MB/CPU is going to be the biggest upgrade for you right now for MWO.

#8 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

I just did a 10 second search at newegg, found this:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116781

Did a follow up 5 second search for socket type MB and there are a lot, and they run under 100 bucks it looks like.

I am NOT saying you should buy this particular item, you need to research what you want yourself obviously, as I am sure if you look a bit there is something 25% better for 5% more money and that type of thing. But, I would say, as of right this second, I dont see a reason you shouldnt be able to up your MB and CPU for your budget. have fun shopping!

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

My parts,

asus p5N-D, LGA 775 socket, the board is listed as just using the Core 2 processors, I recall they Core-2 extreme qaud-cores would work on the board, but my guess is i can get better performance going with something newer,

I have 4 sticks of dual channel Mushkin, 2x1gb, DDR2 1066 (pc2 8500)

Duo-core..

I was just checking my purchase date, and didn't realize it had been so long.. Built the comp in 2008. I have the 64 bit OS already.. I have been building my own systems since my p166, but everything changes over the years which is why i was asking for some advice.

sometimes there are some great deals on good boards, gigabyte, A-bit, Asus, Supermicro.. ect.. I just have not heard much on what is hot these days. I'm assuming that it is not worth it to drop a chip in this board, and most likely should upgrade my ram for the prices these days.

My main reason for posting/asking, is if anyone has seen some good deals, and help me get up to speed on what i should be looking out for.. And most importantly some experiance with said product, as i would think some of you have owned this stuff for a year or more..

Newegg, has some nice boards on sale, but it is hard to tell sometimes.. like my last board i bought, had slots in a bad space, so i could only use one vid card.. It is stuff like that i am looking for recommendations on.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131872 Board only 50 bucks! AMD board

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819113285 AMD chip.. vishera 3.5 130 dollars

http://www.newegg.co...ndStore/ID-1315 intell I-7 85 with rebate

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131837 another intell board 85 with rebate..

all these chips are quad cores, about 200 dollars

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116504 .3.4 ivy

another Ivy

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116943

here is a hasawell for the same price... not sure what the differences are.. Is perhaps one chip a lower power?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116896

Any sweet spots for performance/price i should be looking for? sometimes you spend 50 bucks more, and get a huge gain, others, 20 bucks less not so much difference.

thoughts on these products? anyone recommend something else? Are these comparable? Not sure on the status of the AMD vrs Intel in this new age.. The AMD route, looks like a bit of a savings, could possibly toss in an HD as well.. (always need more storage right?) But Intel has always been solid, and really not that big of a price difference (still under budget)

Edited by JC Daxion, 28 November 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

One possibility given your budget. You can always go bigger. I am an AMD man, others can give you Intel advice.

CPU
FX4300=$110
or
FX4350=$120 (L3 cache advantage)

Motherboard
GA-970A=$100
or
GA-990FXA=$125

Memory
G. Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) 240 pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866 = $53

#11 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

This might sound crazy... but PC computers have terrible resale values -- you could find something used...

Look for an unlocked i7 2600k or i5 2500k (it's the K) and a graphics card like a 560 or 580 gtx or an amd 6850 etc etc

If you can find an overclocked i7 / i5 at like 4 ghz... then throw in your graphics card or new one and you'll have the cpu horsepower to really push this game..

personally, i believe the AMD cpus aren't well optimized for this game vs the intel cpus

liek check this out: http://montreal.kiji...QAdIdZ532527735

No way he'll ever get $1000... low ball for 350 and find another comp if not

Edited by MavRCK, 28 November 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#12 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Just wanted to post about your RAM, DDR2 is pretty old hat. Old enough I think it would affect whatever CPU you bought as far as performance. You do have a fair amount, but the clock speed is a little on the lame side for whats available nowdays. Even if you dont get a huge amount, I would think for the money a bit of higher speed RAM to go with your newer CPU would make a significant difference.

As for hard drives, if you want to get one, spend on a solid state. I am totally sold on the one I picked up 2 years ago, its only a intel 120GB, but it is superior by far in every way to my WD 1 TB drive(besides space haha) If you want lots of space, buy a smaller SSD, like a 120GB and use it as a boot drive for windows, and load your oft played games on it. Plenty of room for a few games. Keep another drive to use for mass storage, or media etc. I set mine up this way and it is quite nice. Music, videos- basically anything non-performance related goes on storage drive and games and windows is on my SSD. PC runs faster, loads games faster, but still have ooga booga room for whatever.

#13 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 28 November 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

One possibility given your budget. You can always go bigger. I am an AMD man, others can give you Intel advice.

CPU
FX4300=$110
or
FX4350=$120 (L3 cache advantage)

Motherboard
GA-970A=$100
or
GA-990FXA=$125

Memory
G. Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) 240 pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866 = $53

I do not know about AMD much, but that last bit about the RAM, yeah. Thats what I was getting at. For the money you can really up compared to what you have on hand.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

Yea, i kinda figured the ram was a bit out of date..

anyway, I did some searching off of some recomendations, and this is what i came up with.. Parts from companies i like, prices/stats that i think will do..

The MB, also will hold an I7, so down the road that would be a solid upgrade, along with adding another 8 gigs of ram, and a better vid card.. I can also add a faster boot drive at a later date, for now with my power supply it will only run one efficently, and i could use the space upgrade.. with the 60 dollars back in the form of Cash cards, it will cover the cost of the HD.

Anything glaring that is jumping out that you see a better option for the price?

*edit for new board
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131965 95 dollars, (30 dollar cash card)

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M1A1600C10 - Newegg.com 70 dollars, (25 dollar cash card)

Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330 - Newegg.com 150, (21% off) Looks like a decent processor, compared to the 200 dollar ones.. looks like a perfect stepping stone, to upgrade in 2 years..

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
70 bucks, Have had good luck with seagate in the past, Numbers look pretty good.. I will use about half of the capacity..

Free shipping, total comes in right about 380, subtract my Cash cards, and i come in just a shade under my budget,, Should i pull the trigger?

Edited by JC Daxion, 28 November 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

@JC Daxion: The motherboard you selected is a LGA 1150 socket while your chosen CPU is LGA 1155. Get a 1155 board. I would go with my previous memory suggestion as it is cheaper and better. Memory is the least expensive component to upgrade and it is not worth it to try to future proof your system by using one slot. MWO and most other games are still 32-bit applications and cannot address more than 4GB. Plus I am uncertain but it may be necessary to have even numbers of memory modules if running certain dual channel setups. The Seagates are good drives. I have two identical Barracuda 1TB in my case.

Edited by Spheroid, 28 November 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 28 November 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

@JC Daxion: The motherboard you selected is a LGA 1150 socket while your chosen CPU is LGA 1155. Get a 1155 board.

Ohh nice catch! I totally missed that.. after looking at 100's of boards/chips everything gets to be a blur..

found this one, with a nice rebate too, 100 bucks with a 30 dollar cash card

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131965

But that chip looks ok? It does not look like if i spend another 60 bucks or soo, that the numbers bump much at all. I even wonder if there would be any performance gain at all. I should check out tom's to see if i can find some benchmarks too.. Nice to see that site is still around.. between that and firing squad i built 4 computers with their help

but ya never know how stuff is gonna work for a specific game which is why i asked you fine people :D

thanks again for everyone's help... hopefully i will be stomping soon!

Edited by JC Daxion, 28 November 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 28 November 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

This might sound crazy... but PC computers have terrible resale values -- you could find something used...

that is not a bad idea.. But i think i will just go for the parts.. for those less comfortable with building their own, this would be perfect.

#18 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

I would recommend you to upgrade your graphicscard. Thats the bottleneck in my opinion. I think without a better GPU it will still stutter with a new CPU.

EDIT: http://mwomercs.com/...eveloper-update

Edited by Kotzi, 29 November 2013 - 12:27 AM.

#19 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

Moving to our hardware forum

#20 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 27 November 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

I am posting this thread because since i have returned i realized my computer can not handle the game any more.. I did ok when it was 8v8, but the jump to 12 v 12, the lag is just to great.

I have a 8400 duo core, 4 gigs ram, and a TI 550. the computer barely held it together at 8v8, but i could play. Now it is just not possible.. the stutter from lag, is just to bad and i can't aim at all.. after 4 matches and not being able to hit the board side of a barn 3/4 of the time due to the slide show..

I'am looking for a Chip/board/ram.. combo around 350.. Is there anything around this cost that might help me, or am i just SOL for that price?

I know sometimes there are some amazing deals to be found.. so i was hoping that those mech lovers out there in mech land could keep an eye out.

what about the AMD vrs Intel? i know these flip back and forth for what is the best deal.. any thoughts on what is better these days? Perhaps a board that would give me the option to drop 2 vid cards down the road would be worth spending a little extra on.., along with possibly being able to pop in a more advanced chip down the road.

So what is hot these days? I swear when you upgrade every 2-3 years, you need a complete re-education each time... I realize the sales are a few days away, but any thoughts on what i should be keeping my eye on for "value" for me, the biggest issue is the MB, what is the hot value board these days,

you could probably just get away with upgrading your graphics card, what country are you in i could throw a few builds together.. $ euro or £ ? :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users