A Possibly Good Idea For Gauss Rifles

30 replies to this topic

#21 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Love the idea.

Not holding my breath.

#22 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 28 November 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

the gauss is just fine where it is at.

in fact, i think this weekend ill spend it gauss sniping till someone makes a thread about how OP it is again.

Id join you in my HBK-4H Gauss back if I wasn't in Colorado hunting. Oh well, I will just pretend all the birds and rabbits I blast with my shot gun and .22 are being obliterated by Gauss and LBX weapons just for laughs, and because I some time like to pretend that I am a Mech. :D

#23 TB Azrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 28 November 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

the gauss is just fine where it is at.

in fact, i think this weekend ill spend it gauss sniping till someone makes a thread about how OP it is again.

Considering how much you like to work the .cfg to give yourself a vision advantage over the majority of players (or at least you used to be able to) I'll take whatever you brag about your sniping abilities worth a grain of salt.

The rifle is basically broken but not for the charge up time, it's for the charge held time. It's ridicuously short. At least give us 10 seconds or so of charge hold to have some aim adjustment time.

#24 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

View PostTB Azrael, on 28 November 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Considering how much you like to work the .cfg to give yourself a vision advantage over the majority of players (or at least you used to be able to) I'll take whatever you brag about your sniping abilities worth a grain of salt.

The rifle is basically broken but not for the charge up time, it's for the charge held time. It's ridicuously short. At least give us 10 seconds or so of charge hold to have some aim adjustment time.

cute.

user.cfg hasnt worked since shortly after release :D

#25 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

I personally haven't used the rifle since the charge up for the simple reason that I can't get passed the un clicking of the mouse button is to fire the weapon it throws me off and I have no push in me to get used to that whatsoever. What I think they should do is put in a double click system. 1st click charges the weapon, once the meter is charged up u have that second or however long to click the 2nd time to release the projectile. Until this takes place if it ever does I have no real thoughts on the usefulness at any range of this weapon

Edited by hercules1981, 28 November 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#26 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

ewww no this is un-lore and unecessary!

#27 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 28 November 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

cute.

user.cfg hasnt worked since shortly after release :D

mine still works... my FOV is still at 80.

When you say Gauss are still good, do you use one on your mechs, or do you go dual Gauss?

#28 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostSybreed, on 28 November 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

mine still works... my FOV is still at 80.

When you say Gauss are still good, do you use one on your mechs, or do you go dual Gauss?

Either or. Dual gauss is still really powerful. Single is tougher, esp if its torso mounted.

#29 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 28 November 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Either or. Dual gauss is still really powerful. Single is tougher, esp if its torso mounted.

exactly... unless you're dual wielding, Gauss Rifles aren't that good.

#30 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostSybreed, on 28 November 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

exactly... unless you're dual wielding, Gauss Rifles aren't that good.

My Hunchy, Victor, and Shadowhawk would like to have a word with you.

View PostCementblade, on 28 November 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

ewww no this is un-lore and unecessary!

Neither is lasers being damage over time weapons, MGs doing critical damage to internals, AC weapons firing single shot rounds (other then one type of AC20), Streaks being lock on weapons, firing 2 Gauss in a alpha strike with out shutting down, ECM acting like its got Null sig armor on as well (which we all agree is broke), BAP and TAG countering ECM, and lets not forget my favorite, poptarting, which was never at all viable in TT and lore because you couldn't hit anything when using your JJs at any point.

And you think the Gauss charge mechanic is un-lore like? Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe MWO should use the canon and lore as a foundation for balance and stuff but it should not be the end all be all rule as those were rules for a TT dice game and don't mesh very well in a FPS Sim. But I do agree that ECM needs to be tweeked, poptarting should not be a viable tactic, 2 Gauss should not be able to be fired in an alpha strike, and AC weapons should be casit round bursts.

Edited by Coralld, 29 November 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#31 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

This totally defeats the purpose of the charge mechanism in the first place. The problem always was a low heat high alpha weapon was perfect in a brawl. This doesn't change that. If damage was also reduced then yes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users