22 replies to this topic

#1 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

I recently bought a BJ-1, because I'd like to acquire all of the basic mechs that I can. I'm wondering about just how small the hitboxes for the side torsos feel to you guys. Considering throwing an XL235 into it, but I'm not sure yet.

#2 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

While the blackjacks arms offer almost no protection for the BJ's side torsos it still does alright with a XL, your more likely to get legged at least thats been my experience. (which is currently 334 matches in a BJ-1)

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

I've been considering getting a Blackjack and using this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...da6a1b21d2ab21f

They seem durable enough for their size and able to handle XLs fine. Twisting and use of the JumpJets helps distribute damage well enough from what I've seen.

#4 Enialis

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

The primary defense for a Blackjack is it's speed. Regardless of whether or not you're using an XL if you try to fight toe-to-toe with anyone but a light you're going to get massacred. The mech is built for hit and run attacks where you run around the periphery of a big brawl and dump fire into damaged components on the enemy mechs.

The XL engine is perfectly survivable because you really shouldn't be getting shot that much in a Blackjack. Run from cover to cover, and hide behind your team's assaults. If you are getting focused by multiple mechs you're not going to live long regardless of what engine you're running.

For the BJ-1 specifically, the AC/20 + 3 ML + XL235 build is extremely effective and very fun, so don't fear the XL!

Edited by Enialis, 02 November 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#5 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thanks so much guys! I just didn't know if it was like the Dragon, or the Hunchie in how it felt, so the feedback is much appreciated. I'll try that build, too.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Mine runs an XL 180 and two UAC/5s. I rarely die but I also don't rush into front lines either.

This vid is of my 1X but it shows how I get out of bad situations when I do get myself far too close to the front line.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

My BJ-1 before I got it mastered. I need to do more vids with it.

#8 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostKai Harper, on 02 November 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I recently bought a BJ-1, because I'd like to acquire all of the basic mechs that I can. I'm wondering about just how small the hitboxes for the side torsos feel to you guys. Considering throwing an XL235 into it, but I'm not sure yet.

Personally, I don't think a BJ-1 can even be good without an XL235 and an AC20, but when it gets both and you know how to use it, 900+ damage games.

My build: (3ML runs way too hot and wastes ammo space, I've been using this exact build as my primary BJ-1 setup since the BJ launched. Nothing can compare to it.)
XL235
AC20 + 5T ammo. (I usually run out.)
2ML (One LT, one LA for better vertical convergence and damage.)
2JJ
10DHS total
Endo
Full armor, heavy-forward.

Edited by TheFlyingScotsman, 02 November 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#9 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've had a couple of ok matches (only 300+) with the dual AC/2, dual ML setup that I've got going, but I'm certainly gonna try the AC/20 one, because it doesn't *feel* like I'm all too dangerous.

#10 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostKai Harper, on 02 November 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

I've had a couple of ok matches (only 300+) with the dual AC/2, dual ML setup that I've got going, but I'm certainly gonna try the AC/20 one, because it doesn't *feel* like I'm all too dangerous.

Just remember that the mech really only comes into it's prime with eliting, just like the locust 3S/M or the centurion. Must, needs, eliting.

#11 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna need to get another two for that. Just really getting used to using ACs again - mostly been running my 4P Death Star cannon, so this is good practice, as well. I can't afford to miss anywhere near this much when I'm using an AC/20, after all.

#12 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Dual ac 5's with 2 medium lasers (and possible small lasers) with jumpjets worked very nicely for me because i didn't always have to be so close in the fight to hurt

The 8 small pulse 1x going 116 kph with good heat is a lovely light chaser/component destroyer
27 alpha strike that fires really fast! ;)

** Dual Ac 5 - drop one half tonn of armor for a small laser - drop the small laser for armor
BJ-1 - XL 225 - 89.1 KPh - Two ac 5's - 120 ac 5 ammo - 2 medium lasers - 1 small laser - one jumpjet -
**8 Small pulse - Can drop engine to XL 280/285 for more tonnage/leg armor
BJ-1X - XL 295 - 116.8 KPH - 19 double heatsinks - 8 small pulse - 272 armor
Standard engine version 97 kph 18 doubles
BJ-1X - Standard 245- 97.0 kph - 18 double heatsinks - 8 small pulse - 272 armor

Similar to konivings build but can't figure out what to do with that extra .44 tonns

BJ-1X - XL 295 - 116.8 KPH - 306 armor - 8 small pulse - 18 doubleheatsinks - AMS system

Edited by kesuga7, 02 November 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#13 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for those Kesuga, I'll consider trying them out.

#14 Heavenly Angel

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

This is my primary mech and the first one I bought. It has amazing hardpoints but struggles to use them to their full potential because of it's low tonnage, so an xl is kind of mandatory for squeezing all your guns on. You can't really afford to drop your speed down either because your maneuverability and skinny body are the only things that keep you alive.

There are so many builds you can do on a bj-1 that I think you just need to experiment until you find something that gels with you. It helps if you bear in mind that you don't need to use every hardpoint and that you don't need your loadout to be symmetrical. Right now I'm having fun with an ac2, llas and 3 mlas as weird as it sounds.

#15 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

No that makes sense - the JM6-DD has the same problem, after all. Thanks for the advice, Angel, I'll mess around with the variant and find something I like the feel of. If anyone wants to drop with me, just for some fun, feel free to add me in-game.

#16 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:14 AM

The great thing about the BJ is that it's maneuverable, has high-mounted guns, and a small profile.

With the BJ-3 you can do long range ppc fire support, or you can have some fun doing brawl support with a 235 std, 6 med lasers, and 18 dhs.
BJ-3

#17 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 06 November 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

The great thing about the BJ is that it's maneuverable, has high-mounted guns, and a small profile.

With the BJ-3 you can do long range ppc fire support, or you can have some fun doing brawl support with a 235 std, 6 med lasers, and 18 dhs.
BJ-3

Sounds like a harder to hit Hunchie, there. I might give that a shot, just because I love my tiger-striped Swayback a hell of a lot.

#18 Enialis

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostKai Harper, on 06 November 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Sounds like a harder to hit Hunchie, there. I might give that a shot, just because I love my tiger-striped Swayback a hell of a lot.

The BJ-1X is basically a 4P. Lose 1 laser, gain 15-20 kph and a smaller profile.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7aad1d60f09594a

#19 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

Agreed, the BJ desperately wants an XL engine. That said, once it's elited it fits into the 900+ dmg club right quickly. Throw a Arty strike on there to catapult it into the four digits.

Anyone have trouble losing arms on a Blackjack? nearly 200 matches in my BJ-1 and I think I've lost the cannon once. For that matter I can't recall many side torso losses either. The thing is so small that you're almost forced to aim center of mass to hit it.

#20 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

I will lost my arm on the BJ when I lose my side torso.
The arm is so tiny, I don't even bother to look away from enemy to attempt to shield my torso with them.

Shake like a wet dog when under fire to spread damage to all torso, also use jet jump to spread to legs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users