Simple Way To Balance Is Vs Clan Mechs

7 replies to this topic

#1 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

As put in another discussion, i want to post the idea here too because this is the suggestion forum and maybe someone from pgi will read (as opposed to the other topic that most probably will go unnoticed ;) )

everyone is worried about clan mechs and the game balance so an idea came up - its about those damn hitboxes : Now we have some big hit boxes - CT, R/L T, head, arms, legs.

I propose that we keep this style for clan mechs - cause they are onmi mechs anyway so it makes sense...but for IS mechs we split these MAIN HITBOXES in smaller ones based on their internal structure. So - if a IS mech has 2 ballistic in the arm that arm hitbox will be split in 2 smaller hitboxes...each with its own hitpoint, but keep the MAIN HITBOX that incorporates both of the small ones - this is a discussion of how we divide the armour: I would say that 75% go to the MAIN hitbox and the rest to the secondary HB. The damage done by a hit should go straight to the main HB until the armout of that HB is stripped

So when the armour of that arm is stripped...instead of destroying directly the weapons..we will still have 2 HB ..each with its own hitpoint and weapon inside..so now each hit will transfer to one of those HB...making harder to destroy the weapons therefore the mech is more resilient in battle and can fight for longer.

IS mechs - dedicated weapon slots, hit-boxes splitted per slot (so more hitboxes, harder to kill in battle)
clan mechs - omni spots, hit-boxes as they are now (big as an entire mech part..easier to crit weapons, easier to kill the mech)

you take a clan mech you can put there more weapons but they can be destroyed much more easy than on IS mechs.

the idea can be improved but i think its interesting and can bring the balance everyone is worried about without nerfing too much the ckan mechs and their tech.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:44 AM

They have already stated that the Clans won't have the technical superiority that we are used to and expect. They will be nerfed into the ground so they can be "balanced" versus Inner Sphere 'Mechs, even though they were never supposed to be balanced in the first place.

They will be a disappointment to anybody who has ever played a MechWarrior computer game or the BattleTech tabletop game.

No need for your complex solution. I'm sure the devs already have something easier to implement in the works.

#3 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

until then at least we can try. i like mechwarrior games and i want this game to be a succes. the clan thing will be the succes or the damnation of this game...so until then we need to try our best to improve it ;)

#4 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 30 November 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

They have already stated that the Clans won't have the technical superiority that we are used to and expect. They will be nerfed into the ground so they can be "balanced" versus Inner Sphere 'Mechs, even though they were never supposed to be balanced in the first place.

They will be a disappointment to anybody who has ever played a MechWarrior computer game or the BattleTech tabletop game.

No need for your complex solution. I'm sure the devs already have something easier to implement in the works.

i say hang the' balance' we as players should have the last say, keep it 12 vesus 8 or 6 but keep the lore. thats why most mechwarrior games die in the end. becuase the devs of these games dont stick to the facts

#5 Blacksoul1987

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 30 November 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

This is one view. many TT fans felt disappointment when the clans were introduced.

#6 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Whats the point at all to bring clans, if thare well be not lore based. Balance this by numbers, simply as that.

#7 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostBlacksoul1987, on 04 December 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

This is one view. many TT fans felt disappointment when the clans were introduced.

Yep. I was one of them. Then I grew up.

I played both sides. I even played mixed-tech.

Clans can easily be "balanced" even when using tabletop values. Greater numbers and greater tonnage on the I.S. side offsets the tech advantage on the Clan side.

Also, tabletop OmniMech rules should be used:

1. Internal structure cannot be changed. No swapping STD to ES and vice versa, and no changing of critical arrangement.
2. Armor cannot be changed. Cannot adjust total armor points, armor point distribution, swap STD to FF and vice versa, and no changing of critical arrangement.
3. Engine cannot be changed. Rating cannot be changed, and no swapping STD to XL and vice versa.
4. Unlimited weapon/ammo/equipment customization, provided tonnage and critical space limits are met.

THAT is how OmniMechs (both Clan and I.S.) should be.

Also, no mixing of tech.

#8 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

Pretty sure clan mechs if ever released will be the death of this game. If they screw that up I will have lost any tiny bit of reason to play. They are supposed to be tough machines dont make them weak just for so called player to player match the point was to combine your fire on the mech, or use better strategy. There are so many ways of balancing this without making the clan mechs just another typical mech in the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users