Bloody Cry Engine

15 replies to this topic

#1 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

Hi all,

is it possible to get some reasonable user.cfg file to stop Cry Engine to squash my hardware insanely? I can download some samples, but have no time to study Cry engine options and set it up in the user.cfg text file.

For the detail: i run this game on i7 4790/8 GB 1600 MHz RAMM/Intel530 256 GB SSD/NVidia 760 GTX/2GB .... os: win7, 64bit. Settings: 1650/1080 resolution/in the video settings all on Medium value/V-Sync On.

My problem is not the performance. Everything runs smoothly BUT the hardware is pushed by the game horribly so temperatures of my components are a bit high and fans are getting mad.

PS: any other game i run on this rig does'nt make any problem without loud performance.
All these problems are caused just by Cry Engine which is really hungry pig ...

Thanks.

#2 AkoolPopTart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationApartment

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:50 AM

Really, your comp is getting hot? Mine's at least 5 years old and it's able to run it without heat...I think

#3 Finkledbody

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

Get a decent CPU cooler and use proper thermal paste on the core.

I prefer Artic Silver 5 for my thermal paste needs. I took my GPU apart and repasted it with also and saw 8c drop in temps on max load.

You can get the Cooler Master evo 212 for you CPU cooling needs. I bought one for my secondary gaming computer and it keeps the i7-2600 sandy bridge @ 62c @ 3.9ghz on load. The Cooler Master Is cheap, only $25.

I don't have any heat problems with this game but I put the time and money in to prevent it. Hardware costs to much to let heatsoak undermine its integrity.

Edited by Finkledbody, 10 March 2015 - 04:58 AM.

#4 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:56 AM

It is not critical, but I can hear it a bit annoying. The problem is that any other game is not pushing this hw so horribly as MWO ...
When I run MWO, the heat is just on cpu/gpu, but as mentioned not critical, something around 67-70 C on gpu and around 60 c on cpu. Im just looking for some easing of game in burdenning hw so it will be more quiet.

#5 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:59 AM

Because of type of this game(MMO) I pretend it needs powerfull cpu. Ill try to study Cry Engine settings. I have to do it because i'm very interested in its features ...

#6 Finkledbody

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostCalebos, on 10 March 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

It is not critical, but I can hear it a bit annoying. The problem is that any other game is not pushing this hw so horribly as MWO ...
When I run MWO, the heat is just on cpu/gpu, but as mentioned not critical, something around 67-70 C on gpu and around 60 c on cpu. Im just looking for some easing of game in burdenning hw so it will be more quiet.

View PostCalebos, on 10 March 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

Because of type of this game(MMO) I pretend it needs powerfull cpu. Ill try to study Cry Engine settings. I have to do it because i'm very interested in its features ...

It does need a powerful CPU if you enjoy playing games at max settings. Theres nothing to study really but go ahead if you feel the need. Temps are easily combated if you have the right cooling equipment for your hardware.

#7 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

Yeah it pushes the CPU pretty hard because all the particles are on it.

I have 4790K too with big Noctua D15 and it gets surprisingly warm, for that heatsink.
If you are running a stock heatsink, dont. Its inadequate for the 4790 and is like having a Nova with single heatsinks.
You dont pay $400 for a CPU to nerf its capabilities over a $30 aftermarket cooler. (Unless laptop, then you just have to live with it).

#8 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:07 AM

Ok, thanks for hints. Ill start with .cfg tweaking ...

#9 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:16 AM

Just a heads up~ only some tweaks to MWO are enabled by PGI through the user.cfg. Not all Cryengine commands will work, and (to the best of my knowledge) if there is an invalid command in the file the entire contents of the file will be ignored.

I think the valid options at this time are for field of view, film grain, and cockpit glass. Your best bet is to search the forums and look for the most recent threads, as older threads may no longer apply.

#10 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:27 AM

Ok, thank you :) But even that it is not possible to tweak any other settings? I mean system/hw detection. It must be stored somewhere ...

What I know it is possible to set up almost everything in Cry engine and found for example this: http://www.mwo.cz/files/user.cfg the explicit version with all features if I am not wrong?

Edited by Calebos, 10 March 2015 - 05:28 AM.

#11 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

View PostCalebos, on 10 March 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

Ok, thank you :) But even that it is not possible to tweak any other settings? I mean system/hw detection. It must be stored somewhere ...

What I know it is possible to set up almost everything in Cry engine and found for example this: [redacted link] the explicit version with all features if I am not wrong?

This is only functional with a patch that modfies/overrides the game files by enabling blocked CVARs. The use of said patch is, by the terms of use, illegal and can lead to a ban. What is blocked shall remain blocked!

If you need a CVAR enabled contact support with your reasons, so that it might be unblocked in a future patch.

Edited by Egomane, 10 March 2015 - 05:50 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:55 AM

View PostCalebos, on 10 March 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

PS: any other game i run on this rig does'nt make any problem without loud performance.
All these problems are caused just by Cry Engine which is really hungry pig ...

Thanks.

Unlike most games, this one is very CPU intensive (it has a lot to do with the Scaleform scripts that thank god they are starting to abandon and redo in more conventional, less intensive ways). (Test it for yourself, enter a match or testing grounds. Hit F9. See frame rate. Now Right Shift + F11. Notice huge spike increase in frame rate with the removal of your HUD? Yeah; that HUD is in scaleform.)

Some tips:
  • Physically clean the computer, especially the heatsink for your processor. Use a vacuum to collect the dust while blowing air between the fins. You may need to use a long but soft plastic tool to help clean the fins of the heatsink.
  • New thermal paste if possible. Every so often this needs to be changed; especially if you've never done it with this computer! The initial thermal pastes are usually awful.
  • If heat issues persist, remove the side covers from the computer (both preferably) and set up a small box fan (like one of those foot long jobs) about 2 feet away and angle so it'll blow air toward the back. This helps immensely and should cut the temperature down by about 10 degrees celsius.
  • Use SpeedFan.exe or similar program to get the exact temperatures and bring them here. If you know specifically what is heating up, you'll know where the problem is really sitting. Mine was the south bridge (very tiny, lousy heatsink there). But, that was because the amperage/watt-usage of my old video cards were on the high end and it wasn't very efficient with the bus or transfer rate, so the south bridge was working overtime.)
Note: If going from max to bare minimum settings has almost no effect on the computer's heat increase -- then your processor's heatsink could really use some cleaning or some help if it isn't all that great.

#13 JayKay17

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 111 posts
  • LocationDresden

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

Hi,

I am running a similiar rig on a higher resolution and more details and its not getting very warm. The fans don't go crazy as well.
Maybe you just don't get the heat out of your computercase. Some ideas: Maybe there are some obstructions before the venting slits, the airflow is not optimal (vents blow in opposite directions) or the cooling fins are obstructed by dust.

About user.cfg, you can switch off the cockpit glass, which gets you measurable better performance, and the field of view (fov) which has no influence on performance.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

The sticking point with the graphics settings is the particles. Turning them to low will offer the best performance increase (and likely lower your heat and how hard your hardware is working)

#15 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

Im playing on an Acer laptop, 8gb ram, 2.2/ (turbo=) 3.2 ghz with GeForce GT 750M. I can run almost at max settings. Except V - sync and I cant have max resolution or the game starts to get weird. By that I mean it acts like when mechs move etc, theres this after-shade effect making it appear that the game runs on lower FPS. I first thought it was lag, but turned off V-Sync and voila'!

Not have had much heat issues, though Cry Engine does demand somewhat of the hardware no matter what.

Oh and try to get some double heatsinks, yeah I just HAD to :P

Edited by Tordin, 10 March 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#16 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:00 AM

View PostKoniving, on 10 March 2015 - 05:55 AM, said:

Unlike most games, this one is very CPU intensive (it has a lot to do with the Scaleform scripts that thank god they are starting to abandon and redo in more conventional, less intensive ways). (Test it for yourself, enter a match or testing grounds. Hit F9. See frame rate. Now Right Shift + F11. Notice huge spike increase in frame rate with the removal of your HUD? Yeah; that HUD is in scaleform.)

Some tips:
  • Physically clean the computer, especially the heatsink for your processor. Use a vacuum to collect the dust while blowing air between the fins. You may need to use a long but soft plastic tool to help clean the fins of the heatsink.
  • New thermal paste if possible. Every so often this needs to be changed; especially if you've never done it with this computer! The initial thermal pastes are usually awful.
  • If heat issues persist, remove the side covers from the computer (both preferably) and set up a small box fan (like one of those foot long jobs) about 2 feet away and angle so it'll blow air toward the back. This helps immensely and should cut the temperature down by about 10 degrees celsius.
  • Use SpeedFan.exe or similar program to get the exact temperatures and bring them here. If you know specifically what is heating up, you'll know where the problem is really sitting. Mine was the south bridge (very tiny, lousy heatsink there). But, that was because the amperage/watt-usage of my old video cards were on the high end and it wasn't very efficient with the bus or transfer rate, so the south bridge was working overtime.)
Note: If going from max to bare minimum settings has almost no effect on the computer's heat increase -- then your processor's heatsink could really use some cleaning or some help if it isn't all that great.

Hey,

thanks for info. To my hw: it is brand new rig without any dusty issues :) ... it looks particle system is the main problem because it is managed just by cpu(really dumb method, cuda is much better and efficient method ...) if I am not wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users