'mech Designs?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Azrienov

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

I've been playing MW titles since I was a kid. The concept of giant robots blowing each other apart is undeniably awesome. At this point however, there are alot of design and mechanical inconsistencies that are vexing me. Does anyone else see these things? Some of it is game related, and some of it is universe related. Stuff like:
  • Essentially humanoid machines lacking the basic capability to pivot because of the way the hip and ankle joints were designed
  • Water doesn't cause serious drag on machines in the water as they attempt to move through it
  • ammo positioning in a machine that doesn't affect reload times (like SRMs in the legs having to go up to the torso? Guilty.)
  • A lack of thrust vector capability a millenia into the future. Makes jumpjets feel like a gimmick rather than a true tool.
  • Hitting a building at 150 KPH...
  • No upscaling on heat control capabilities on larger machines
  • They're 25-100 ton machines... and the M-1 Abrams is 61-70 tons(depending on variant).
  • The simple method used to divide the machine hit zones. Smaller machines can get away with 8 distinct impact locations. Larger machines require more than that, to increase their durability. The Dragon'***** box comes to mind. You could take the 8 distinct locations, break them down even further depending on machine, and allow for damage splash across the principal zone. Example: You get shot high in the LT. The LT on an assault has three zones. The damage is spread to the other two zones by a scaled value. Puncture of one of the zones allows for both internal damage and scaled up spread damage.
  • I don't notice alot of kinetic energy interactions in this game. Sure, if you get hit by that A/C 20 you shake all over. But you don't seem to slow down.
  • No one falls down. This is sad.
  • There is no DFA. This is also sad.
  • There is no melee. This is extremely sad.
  • I cannot pick up a tree and re-enact the Rodney King beating on someone. Why do you punish me?

Granted some of the concepts that MWO had, like collision detection and falling down, were removed because they couldn't get them to work properly.

Stuff like that is depressing. I mean this is just a random list of things I just don't think make sense. If you really wanted to dig into detail, you could fill a book with inconsistencies and poor design decisions by multiple entities. I guess the older I get, the more I see this stuff.

Edited by Azrienov, 01 December 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Essentially humanoid machines lacking the basic capability to pivot because of the way the hip and ankle joints were designed
--In Lore, the Mechs had more grace due to the nerohelmet interface. Call this a limitation of modern technology to interepret more complex maneuvers.

Water doesn't cause serious drag on machines in the water as they attempt to move through it
--Limitation of engine/programming. I think this is coming.

ammo positioning in a machine that doesn't affect reload times (like SRMs in the legs having to go up to the torso? Guilty.)
--Lore and allowing the flexibility of the mechlab everyone loves.

A lack of thrust vector capability a millenia into the future. Makes jumpjets feel like a gimmick rather than a true tool.
--In Lore, the Mechs had more grace due to the nerohelmet interface. Call this a limitation of modern technology to interepret more complex maneuvers.

Hitting a building at 150 KPH...

No upscaling on heat control capabilities on larger machines
--Lore. Bigger Mechs can mount more heat sinks providing the balance.

They're 25-100 ton machines... and the M-1 Abrams is 61-70 tons(depending on variant).
--Lore

The simple method used to divide the machine hit zones. Smaller machines can get away with 8 distinct impact locations. Larger machines require more than that, to increase their durability. The Dragon'***** box comes to mind. You could take the 8 distinct locations, break them down even further depending on machine, and allow for damage splash across the principal zone. Example: You get shot high in the LT. The LT on an assault has three zones. The damage is spread to the other two zones by a scaled value. Puncture of one of the zones allows for both internal damage and scaled up spread damage.
--Lore

I don't notice alot of kinetic energy interactions in this game. Sure, if you get hit by that A/C 20 you shake all over. But you don't seem to slow down.

No one falls down. This is sad.

There is no DFA. This is also sad.

There is no melee. This is extremely sad.

I cannot pick up a tree and re-enact the Rodney King beating on someone. Why do you punish me?
--Limitation of engine/programming. Call this a limitation of modern technology to interepret more complex maneuvers.

#3 Whatzituyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Essentially humanoid machines lacking the basic capability to pivot because of the way the hip and ankle joints were designed
Sad truth

Water doesn't cause serious drag on machines in the water as they attempt to move through it
Should of been implemented from the start

ammo positioning in a machine that doesn't affect reload times (like SRMs in the legs having to go up to the torso? Guilty.)
--Lore and allowing the flexibility of the mechlab everyone loves.
Lol I missed this one and yeah this guy says it right.

A lack of thrust vector capability a millenia into the future. Makes jumpjets feel like a gimmick rather than a true tool.
Again sad truth but it dosnt mean the arrow keys could'nt make it go a certain direction

Hitting a building at 150 KPH...
This I hope isnt implemented it wasnt in the classics it would just be a higher difficulty for me and by classics I mean "Mechwarrior 1-4"

No upscaling on heat control capabilities on larger machines
--Lore. Bigger Mechs can mount more heat sinks providing the balance.
So true it isnt like the classics mechwarrior 1-4 did not use this either

They're 25-100 ton machines... and the M-1 Abrams is 61-70 tons(depending on variant).
--Lore
????

The simple method used to divide the machine hit zones. Smaller machines can get away with 8 distinct impact locations. Larger machines require more than that, to increase their durability. The Dragon'***** box comes to mind. You could take the 8 distinct locations, break them down even further depending on machine, and allow for damage splash across the principal zone. Example: You get shot high in the LT. The LT on an assault has three zones. The damage is spread to the other two zones by a scaled value. Puncture of one of the zones allows for both internal damage and scaled up spread damage.
--Lore
This would make the game a bit too complex.

I don't notice alot of kinetic energy interactions in this game. Sure, if you get hit by that A/C 20 you shake all over. But you don't seem to slow down.
Provided with the collision update I believe

No one falls down. This is sad.
Used to be in the game but now its out for balanceing reasons look it up on youtube for details about what happened. Again being provided in a fixed form in the collision update

There is no DFA. This is also sad.
Collision update...

There is no melee. This is extremely sad.
Its in developers list of things to do but could be removed for any reason

I cannot pick up a tree and re-enact the Rodney King beating on someone. Why do you punish me?
--Limitation of engine/programming. Call this a limitation of modern technology to interepret more complex maneuvers.
This guy pretty much says it all.

Edited by Whatzituyah, 01 December 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Jump jets had more capability in previous games. They were used to skate side to side and forward and reverse across terrain as if it was an ice rink. THAT was a gimmick. This is more real.

In the lore, less than one handful of 'Mechs had thrust-vector capability (Spider was one, as was Venom which makes sense since it was based on Spider). The vast majority had fixed jets.

----

Larger 'Mechs not having better heat dissipation? You can demonstrate this same thing with modern PCs -- putting the same components into a larger case doesn't always mean better temps.

----

Collisions/knockdowns/DFA were in the game, but were bugged. Eventually, they want to fix them and put them back in.

----

They want to put in melee, but it is a low priority. Previous games didn't have it. The improvised weapon thing (tree) might be included in there, but I don't think so.

----

Ammo positioning versus reload time was a purely game-mechanics decision in tabletop. None of the computer/console games has had it.

----

Realistic kinetic reaction would likely be difficult to emulate in the game engine. As far as I can recall, no game has ever had that.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 01 December 2013 - 07:29 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users