A Realization about the possible Cash Shop System

49 replies to this topic

#41 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostDraco Argentum, on 17 June 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Its entirely dependant on how much difference there is between the xp gain rates. WoT has a very long grind for crew skills so that part is a soft P2W. LoL has a short grind for summoner level so its not P2W. MWO? Well, having to play all three varients to max a chassis, looking dicey.

Aye, it looks grindy, but we don't really know how exp gains and unlocks are scaled. I've seen people in WoT claim their first Tier10 (endgame content) close to 10k games without any premium bonus. That's a long *** grind, no mistake. Others had a stacked garage close to 5k games that included lots, if not all of the endgame content at the time (Tier10 heavies, Tier9 Meds, Tier8 Arty). That is only possible when using all means available (premium account, premium tank, exp conversion, platoons, companies, clan wars). Money/gold effectively bought significantly better vehicles and weapons in a very short amount of time. The match maker basically guaranteed them to be top dogs all the time in any battle (in the beginning at least). And the way endgame content can stomp lower tiers in WoT is such that it substitutes skill completely. WoT is Free 2 Play on the outside, but Pay 2 Win on the inside. That said, I'm highly intrigued with LoL and how they avoided the P2W traps.

Edited by CCC Dober, 18 June 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#42 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

Oh noes!

Sos in MWO nerds who are willing to spend their lifetime savings will have an advantage over people who are going to play it for free or who have only spent a onetime fee of 50 bucks (just like buying this game in a store)?

*Runs to the telephone*
"Hollywood? Yes, I'd sell that story for about $ 1.000.000."

It's obvious that the devs are creating the game not because they are our friends. They want to earn money. And you most likely can earn more money while selling new content (mechs and weapons) instead of vanity items (dices for the cockpit). The cow can be milked A LOT better this way. I really hate this about the game - but sadly it looks like it's kinda "the future" of gaming.

#43 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hola Wadde =)

I've got 2 things for you:
1. Professionals + F2P = win win
2. Crytek CEO statements (german)

One part caught my eye
Spoiler

The future doesn't look that grim all of a sudden now, does it? :)

P.S. It's already happening. Crytek has pitched in with Warface already.

Edited by CCC Dober, 18 June 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#44 Lord Exalted

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:32 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 17 June 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

You don't buy C-bills, you buy c-bill boosts, this was confirmed by one of the devs about a month or two back. You can also buy XP-boosts.

So you still have to play the game to get the non-MC purchasable stuff you want, like weapons. Which is a good idea, because it keeps people in the game, which keeps them spending money.

I assume this will be combined with buying camo or some other aesthetics to make a good solid income for mwo

#45 Lord Exalted

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 18 June 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Aye, it looks grindy, but we don't really know how exp gains and unlocks are scaled. I've seen people in WoT claim their first Tier10 (endgame content) close to 10k games without any premium bonus. That's a long *** grind, no mistake. Others had a stacked garage close to 5k games that included lots, if not all of the endgame content at the time (Tier10 heavies, Tier9 Meds, Tier8 Arty). That is only possible when using all means available (premium account, premium tank, exp conversion, platoons, companies, clan wars). Money/gold effectively bought significantly better vehicles and weapons in a very short amount of time. The match maker basically guaranteed them to be top dogs all the time in any battle (in the beginning at least). And the way endgame content can stomp lower tiers in WoT is such that it substitutes skill completely. WoT is Free 2 Play on the outside, but Pay 2 Win on the inside. That said, I'm highly intrigued with LoL and how they avoided the P2W traps.

Lol has lots of content and they play off people willing to buy skins. this is hard with a game like mechwarrior since a skin would probably be a different paint job and harder to sell. i expect tho that new mechs will have 2 payment options in-game c-bills and cash. Alot like a new character in league

#46 Colossal

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

IF anything i think it might be light tribes ascend'd platform.
You can buy a vip status(granted this is a lifetime vip status in tribes(inwhich you can pay min £2.99 for)) = extra c-bills per game.

Booster packs for c-bills.
Or even a large defined amount of c-bills for upgrades, which are tiered(while you play it levels through the tiers with you).

imho i think it'll be a grind for non payers, and end of the day they have to make money somewhere. AS skins for mechwarrior could be silly if done wrongly.

#47 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostLord Exalted, on 18 June 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

Lol has lots of content and they play off people willing to buy skins. this is hard with a game like mechwarrior since a skin would probably be a different paint job and harder to sell. i expect tho that new mechs will have 2 payment options in-game c-bills and cash. Alot like a new character in league

Oh I wouldn't underestimate the attraction of vanity items, such as custom paintjobs. I can definitely see me repainting some Mechs for night operations (not that I really need day cycles or anything) or to make it easier for folks to better pick me out in a furball. Bling my Mech? Hell yeah! Just for the fun of it ^^
My only hope is that camo and paint jobs aren't such a rip-off as they are in WoT. You gotta cough up gold every time you change it. And no you can't switch back to what you bought already ... just ugly.

#48 Draco Argentum

• 1,222 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda2, on 18 June 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

It's obvious that the devs are creating the game not because they are our friends. They want to earn money. And you most likely can earn more money while selling new content (mechs and weapons) instead of vanity items (dices for the cockpit). The cow can be milked A LOT better this way. I really hate this about the game - but sadly it looks like it's kinda "the future" of gaming.

LoL does just fine without selling power. Even my pirate friends have paid more for LoL than the cost of a normal game. I don't understand it but the model works.

#49 Brunevde

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostDraco Argentum, on 18 June 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

LoL does just fine without selling power. Even my pirate friends have paid more for LoL than the cost of a normal game. I don't understand it but the model works.

It works because most people don't bat an eye at a couple of bucks here or there. Similar to buying a bottle of soda compared to a case

#50 Lorchan

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:20 AM

Who cares if you get what you have by Play or C-bills, as long as the Devs keep promising that THEY are working toward parity on all fronts and the highest Skil wins...I am in. I like to be good at games I love, but the fun of playing is my goal. Right now I trust that the people that took this much time and effort to resurect Battle Tech/MechWarrior must have a lot of love for the game. If they can make this profitable, that is great because it will keep improving and be around util they pry my moldy dead claws from the controls.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users