6 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'll start by posting my system specs:

AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition at 3.4 GHz (Stock clock speed)
MSI/NVidia Twin Frozr OC NGTX 260 Core 216 (Factory overclocked)
8 GB DDR3 Ram

Earlier I was running everything on High settings except for Shading, Shadows, and Post Processing, which were set to Low, and Post AA was enabled. Resolution was at 1080p. My frame rate was hopping between 35 and 25 FPS during combat, while it was around 50 FPS when maneuvering.

So I tried adjusting my settings to prevent the stuttering during combat. I kept the Shading, Shadows, and Post Processing set at Low, then set everything but the Environment and Textures to medium. Post AA is still enabled, and the resolution remains at 1080p. After a few matches, I find that at these these settings I've managed to almost never drop below 30 FPS during the match, and keep the frame rate between 30 and 45 FPS during combat with no noticeable stuttering.

Despite mostly medium settings, the game still looks really good (I think it's the texture quality that's most important in that aspect).

Any one else experiment with these settings to see which create performance increases while keeping appreciable visual quality?

Edited by TELEFORCE, 03 December 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I hate to say it, but I've never found a way to run Practicals at higher then Low without getting pounded.

Here:
Posted Image

You probably have to turn the Textures down from this, depending on how much on-board RAM your card has.

And turn off the Damage Glow, too …

#3 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

You've probably read/heard this at LEAST once, but . . . overclocking your CPU can work a bit of magic in increasing FPS. I won't say it's a miracle cure-all, but it's fairly well documented around the forums that it'll net you at least SOME performance gain.

An easy way to check for CPU bottlnecking is by dropping the FPS from 1920 x 1080 to 1024 x 768 and checking your frames in combat. If they rise substantially at the lower resolution, it's more a GPU issue. If they remain similar [again, in heavy combat, not staring at the sky] you're being bottlenecked by your CPU.

That is not to say that you won't still benefit from overclocking, but you'll have a better handle on exactly what components are the weak link.

The bottom line is: if you're CPU bound, settings aren't going to make a huge amount of difference.

#4 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

The one i've found to have the biggest impact on performance for the least change in visual quality is environment. Set it to low and i defy anyone to notice a difference.

From high to low i get a good 20-30fps more. (4ghz i5-750, gtx 690 @ 6030*1080)

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

I find the Environment slider to be easier to pick apart then that, but more importantly, if it's hammering you, you haven't done enough to turn off Ambient Occlusion; Turn it off in you video card driver, then in your user.cfg by adding to it:
  • r_ssao = 0
  • r_ssdo = 0
  • e_TerrainAo = 0

#6 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostBP Raven, on 07 December 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

The one i've found to have the biggest impact on performance for the least change in visual quality is environment. Set it to low and i defy anyone to notice a difference.

:lol: It's not that I don't notice, but man: The things I can turn up, now that I've tested this! ;)

#7 v4skunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Its his GTX260 its like 8 years old.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users