Freedan's Simpit Thread

6 replies to this topic

#1 Freedan

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm happy to finally post some images of my 'pit now that I've made some decent progress. My main gaming inspirations have always been space and mech combat, dating all the way back to the original Wing Commander and Mechwarrior games. I began building at the beginning of this year and am looking forward to diving more into MWO once I get my build more functional. I've really enjoyed following the progress of all the pits on this board and just wanted to say thank you to my fellow builders!

Here are a few of the more recent pics I've taken. The full history in pictures can be seen on my Instagram site, linked in my signature.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

Very nice.

What are you planning on skinning the outside with?

And is that a pa-cman arcade cab I see in the background?

#3 Freedan

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Foust!

I see you too play the "what-oddity-can-I-find-in-this-odd-ball's-messy-workspace" game :ph34r: That cab is an original Pac-Man Plus cabinet. It was in fairly rough shape when I bought it, mostly gutted, so I gently modded it into a MAME cabinet. It still needs a bit of work, but I resolved to not touch anything else until I get the 'pit in good shape.

As for the exterior skin, I plan on using 5.2mm birch plywood, readily available in pre-cut sheets at my local Lowes. After I get my shell in place, I'll go back over it with some wood filler to cover any imperfections and sand it all smooth.

I've really enjoyed following your pit progress, especially the strides you and Loc Nar have made with joystick mods. It will be a huge boon when I finally get around to tackling input.

Thanks for responding!

#4 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

If you are going to paint don't bother with wood filler Bondo is better and faster for filling voids

#5 Jouren

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostShamous13, on 05 December 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

If you are going to paint don't bother with wood filler Bondo is better and faster for filling voids

Dont use Bondo indoor please! Better you dont use it at all. Just a part of the safety sheet:

Chronic: Repeated overexposure to this product may cause: central nervous system damage, hearing damage, kidney
damage, liver abnormalities, lung damage, cardiac abnormalities, reproductive organ damage, blood effects, eye
damage.
Other Health Effects:
Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal. Reports have
associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system
damage.

Edited by Jouren, 06 December 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#6 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

That is way better than a man-cave.

#7 Nekomimi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostJouren, on 06 December 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Dont use Bondo indoor please! Better you dont use it at all. Just a part of the safety sheet:

Full respirator is required, not the dust masks, the expensive rubber 3M ones with cartridges. And yes, never ever ever indoors, a very well ventilated area is also needed.

Edited by Nekomimi, 08 March 2014 - 08:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users