17 replies to this topic

#1 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

Most 3Ds I see running around these days are packing two PPCs and an AC10, or possibly two AC5s in place of the 10 (though this build has to sacrifice armor or mobility to make up the weight). However, I think these weapon combos are better done on heavier jump-capable mechs that can use their mass to increase the number of heat sinks run or use a standard engine.

I propose a build that takes advantage of the CTF-3Ds strengths to do something that other jump snipers cannot do: mount two AC10s and a PPC, to give it good jump sniping capability while also maintaining higher DPS. I tried this build with an ERPPC, but as AC10s generate a moderate amount of heat, even a single ERPPC is still too hot.

CTF-3D

#2 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

I like having a bit more ammo, but that's because I can't aim.

#3 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

Ya actually I really like this build, the 3D is the only cataphract Ive never used but this looks like fun. I would lose the heatsink for another ton of ammo though. 40% heat dissipation is still good.

#4 HeavyRain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

Since I usually manage to get myself closer to the action than a poptart really should be, I switched the PPC for a LL and 2 Mediums in the arms. Easier to shoot those damn Shadowhawks that keep jumping up and down trying to get behind my back. If you have better situational awareness than I do, then the dual ac10 + PPC combo works great.

#5 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

AC10, AC5 - 60 rounds each, 4mL, 3JJ's and an XL340.

#6 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostCygnusX7, on 05 December 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

That's way too much ammo.

#7 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 05 December 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

That's way too much ammo.

For the AC10, yes. For the 5? Maybe. 3 tons of ammo for twin AC5 is a bare minimum, 1 ton for a single AC5 is kinda' low, so 60 rounds (2 tons) for a single 5 might be too much, but I'd rather that than run out way too early.

#8 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostCygnusX7, on 05 December 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

I run my -3D like a Striker...

4JJs, XL340 + 2 x UAC/5 + 4 x mLas

I'm addicted to the speed and maneuverability afforded by the 340 and the JJs and while the 30 damage is low for a Heavy, I can dictate engagements on my terms, escape if necessary and re-engage.

And the AUAC/5's provide range and "dakka" as necessary. :D

#9 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostEscef, on 05 December 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

For the AC10, yes. For the 5? Maybe. 3 tons of ammo for twin AC5 is a bare minimum, 1 ton for a single AC5 is kinda' low, so 60 rounds (2 tons) for a single 5 might be too much, but I'd rather that than run out way too early.

I like to fire them both at the same time. AC15.

#10 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Ya but still 60 AC10 is a little to much.

#11 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Dual ac10 with 4mlas is always a great combo, on any mech. Its a bit short range but you can be a good striker/brawler when mixed with JJ and the heavier armor the phract has. But I have run that build on K2's and jegars to good effect as well. And the 3d has both ballistics on the same side, so the shot grouping nice

Edited by Lucky Moniker, 05 December 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#12 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

I find for an AC10 45 rounds is the sweet spot, for duel ac5 i'd say 3 tons minimum preferably 4 tons.

#13 D04S02B04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 05 December 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Most 3Ds I see running around these days are packing two PPCs and an AC10, or possibly two AC5s in place of the 10 (though this build has to sacrifice armor or mobility to make up the weight). However, I think these weapon combos are better done on heavier jump-capable mechs that can use their mass to increase the number of heat sinks run or use a standard engine.

I propose a build that takes advantage of the CTF-3Ds strengths to do something that other jump snipers cannot do: mount two AC10s and a PPC, to give it good jump sniping capability while also maintaining higher DPS. I tried this build with an ERPPC, but as AC10s generate a moderate amount of heat, even a single ERPPC is still too hot.

I think you'll find that the main reason why people go AC10 2x PPC is because of the torso mounting. It seems more intuitive to shoot 2x PPC together and 1x AC10 separate rather than 2x AC10. That may sacrifice some pinpoint damage in between the shots landing and aligning of the reticles.

EDIT: That being said, it is a good idea to evaluate that idea. Currently I'm experimenting with a UAC5 2x PPC Victor instead of the standard AC10, 2x PPC victor because I think that having a UAC5 increases your performance at close quarters and that 30 pinpoint alpha while useful have a more limited application in brawling.

Edited by D04S02B04, 05 December 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#14 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 05 December 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

CTF-3D

Welcome to the build I've been using since people figured out you can do double UAC5 and double PPC on a mech!

Serisouly, though, the double AC10 and a single PPC is WAAAYY the Hell more effective than the 2xPPC+AC10.

It doesn't go nearly as fast BUT...

-Doesn't run as hot
-Not crippled by 2/3 of your weapons with a minimum range
-Faster Rate of Fire
-(Opinion) sounds better

But now Lucy, I must kill you. With any luck not many people will read this thread and no one will catch on.

#15 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 05 December 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Welcome to the build I've been using since people figured out you can do double UAC5 and double PPC on a mech!

Serisouly, though, the double AC10 and a single PPC is WAAAYY the Hell more effective than the 2xPPC+AC10.

It doesn't go nearly as fast BUT...

-Doesn't run as hot
-Not crippled by 2/3 of your weapons with a minimum range
-Faster Rate of Fire
-(Opinion) sounds better

But now Lucy, I must kill you. With any luck not many people will read this thread and no one will catch on.

In addition to having the dopest sound effect in the game, AC10s also have longer effective range due to the 3x long for ballistics.

View PostD04S02B04, on 05 December 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I think you'll find that the main reason why people go AC10 2x PPC is because of the torso mounting. It seems more intuitive to shoot 2x PPC together and 1x AC10 separate rather than 2x AC10. That may sacrifice some pinpoint damage in between the shots landing and aligning of the reticles.

Just use arm lock.

#16 IrrelevantFish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

I tried the 2xAC10+PPC build and really struggled with it because of its limited range and de-synced projectile speeds. Neither may seem like major problems on paper (or at least not major enough to outweigh the heat/DPS advantages), but I was shocked at how much better I did when I switched to 2xAC5.

Unfortunately, the OP is absolutely right about heavier mechs doing that build much better. It's why my 3D has been collecting dust for the past few months.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

not in love with the PPC on it, TBH, but that's just my playstyle. And I never run less that 3 ton per ac10. I intend to still be shooting them, at the 12th enemy mech. Also, with what I envision as the mission, maxi JJ are a must.
CTF-3D

Much more my definition of fun.

#18 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

I used to run my 3D as a dual gauss sniper, but recently I've run a brawler with Std 255, AC20, UAC5, 2ML. Just brutal at close range.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users