[Request] Locust Legs

49 replies to this topic

#1 AussieHope

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

Does anyone find it really annoying that 80% of the locust's height is it's legs, at least 60% of incoming damage seems to be distributed to their legs, yet it only has 16 armour on them?

Sure you can get some nice fire power out of them for their speed, but once you get up speed with an XL 190 you take a lot of leg damage just from running around on the map, then almost all direct damage falls on the already damaged legs and your mech is taken out before you can land more than a couple of shots.

I am really getting sick of receiving one shot leg removals, with no jump jets, no matter how good a pilot you are, you are going to take a few good hits but unlike the commando, which can take a few shots, with the Locust, almost everything falls on one of two leg hit boxes.

Please do something for this little mech, I would suggest tweaking the hit boxes, but if it's going to take damage every time it hits a bump just from running around on the map at 170kms, please re-distribute some armour from the arms and torso to the legs, or better yet let it carry a bit more armour and allocate the extra slots to the legs so we can buff them up and have a sporting chance.

Thanks

#2 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

The entire mech needs to be about two-thirds the size. It's about the same height as the Spider, but with a longer, wider body, and thicker legs.

#3 AussieHope

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

Problem with that is already in Crimson you sink 90% under the water and the graphics go glitchy, make it any smaller and they will need to fix the game so you can submerge 100% in water just for this mech.

Of course coding that would create a good excuse for them to make an underwater map where you fight on the sea bottom in low visibility, now that would be cool.

#4 Stormtempter

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:02 AM

Too big, too slow, under armored, undergunned, no ECM or JJ, brittle legs, etc

Locust is designed to fail.

It should be smaller, the 30%ish reduction suggested seems fair. It should be faster, by a good margin above and beyond the spiders and commandos. Not giving it ECM would be acceptable IF it had a better drop height allowance and/or JJs, even one JJ just to soften landings. An additional module slot for all variants to be better support mechs would also be nice. Thinning the leg hitboxes would be welcome as well.

Edited by Stormtempter, 10 November 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#5 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Not a light pilot, but I'd agree a locust counts as a free kill when not left to roam all game.

I'd say it could definitely use a 15-20% OVERALL size reduction.

#6 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

The locust is fine. IF the enemy sees you, you've already lost. Practice not being seen.

#7 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

It's not unusual to die with no legs and yellow ST's/CT in Locusts. The leg hitboxes can definitely be improved. There's something wrong with them and now that many people know it, they focus the legs which makes the problem worse.

Edited by Tahribator, 11 November 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#8 RamsoPanzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

Give it invisibility. Like harry potter.

#9 Gilfner

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

The thing that bugs me the most about the locust is how easy it is to take leg damage just moving around the map. Spots that are no drop for any other mech end up being drops due to the speed & size of the mech. Is it correct that the distance you can drop with no damage is based on the size/height(?) of the mech? If so, it seems like an easy tweak to up it's drop distance factor alittle bit.

#10 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

Making it so small you can't even hit it is **** poor design, it's already a tiny mech and making it any smaller would be ridiculous.

I agree that locusts need a little help but making it even smaller is not the answer.

After thinking about it for a bit, removing the 10 heatsink restriction would do wonders for the locust, there's almost no way you need that many with a mech so small and it would solve other problems as well.

Edited by Pjwned, 11 November 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#11 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

If the legs keep their length, then they should be thinner than they are like in much of the locust artwork.

Spoiler

Otherwise I'd like to have them made shorter like in these very crude examples:
Spoiler

Edit: adding spoilers

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 11 November 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#12 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Not just annoying I sold them and out of all the lights, they're the only ones I didn't elite.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 November 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#13 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 11 November 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

The locust is fine. IF the enemy sees you, you've already lost. Practice not being seen.

You know, you would be right.

But how this game is set up, if one guy sees you, their entire team sees you. And that is a problem. Everything has free C3 installed on the mechs.

#14 Kahoumono

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Since they aren't doing anything about the spiders I'd wouldn't keep my finger crossed about the locusts. Like so many other mechs before it, they will become obsolete once their 15mins are up.

#15 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

The first game I played after purchasing an XL190, one of my legs was 2-shotted by a Spider. There's something wrong there when I can't even hit his legs due to hit detection.

#16 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostKahoumono, on 11 November 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

Since they aren't doing anything about the spiders I'd wouldn't keep my finger crossed about the locusts. Like so many other mechs before it, they will become obsolete once their 15mins are up.

Nothing wrong with spider that isn't wrong with every other light. All mine have the same kill to death ratio only the locust dies when a small laser shoots it :P

#17 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Here is the problem with the Legs:

- they're too big
- they break the rule that every other mech in the game is coded (ie, leg armor = side torso armor) - missing 6 points per leg
- hit boxes are too big
- you lose armor when people scrape you walking by
- you lose armor when you fall more then a few feet
- PGI allowed mechs to carry much more damage output than healthy for the game

Everything on the Locust is rigged against you.

#18 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 12 November 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Here is the problem with the Legs:

- they're too big

They are the smallest mech in the game. I had issues when I first started, but you get used to them and they are probably my second favorite mech currently, with the BMaster tops right now, but once I get the PP mechs all mastered the Firebrand will probably go back to the top and bump the PP mechs down a notch.

- they break the rule that every other mech in the game is coded (ie, leg armor = side torso armor) - missing 6 points per leg

If that is true, that is a very valid point. I definitely think they could stand a redistribution of armor, especially since I don't even use the arms on any of mine. I need my torsos, though... I get engined almost as much as legged - just depends on where the alpha hits...

- hit boxes are too big

Not really, though the legs are a good portion of the mechs total size, by design, I agree.

- you lose armor when people scrape you walking by
- you lose armor when you fall more then a few feet

This is probably my biggest issue with the locust. It DEFINITELY needs attention. It is rare I even get within sight of an enemy before my legs are both yellow, and I try to take it slow just to preserve them, which I shouldn't have to do.

- PGI allowed mechs to carry much more damage output than healthy for the game

I don't really agree with this, and the only time I would agree with it has nothing to do with the locust, so I won't derail the thread.

Everything on the Locust is rigged against you.

Again, I love my locusts. They are the smallest mechs in the game, so you have to play them that way. Don't brawl, for heaven's sake, and as was mentioned earlier, if they see you, you have already failed. The only thing I would request, other than collision damage being addressed, is to give me an ECM! I'll even pay real money for one, lol.

#19 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostFierostetz, on 11 November 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

...IF the enemy sees you, you've already lost. Practice not being seen.

:)

#20 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostZyllos, on 11 November 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

You know, you would be right.

But how this game is set up, if one guy sees you, their entire team sees you. And that is a problem. Everything has free C3 installed on the mechs.

Maybe I'm just sick, but I drive lights because it gives me an adrenaline surge. When running a locust I run a 3m with 4ml and a flamer. I fire the ML's to deal damage and keep the flamer chain fired so I can use it on their cockpit while I'm cooling down to fire more ML. It still counts as not being seen ;) even if I'm blinding them. I think it's super fun - I play lights (spider 5d, etc.) a lot like you're supposed to play the old game "Thief" - where you're pretty useless in a fight, but if you can sneak up the battle is yours. That, to me, is fun. I'm a 20-35 ton ninja. Posted Image

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 12 November 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

:)

Every time I see your name I want to say "Matisyahu" lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users