13 replies to this topic

#1 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hey PGI. Can you set convergence up like they do in War Thunder. Not only will it end Pin Point High Alphas, but make some really interesting setups.

#2 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostPropagandaWar, on 06 December 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Hey PGI. Can you set convergence up like they do in War Thunder. Not only will it end Pin Point High Alphas, but make some really interesting setups.

Burst-fire ballistics and beam-duration PPC is a much better solution to pin-point alphas than fiddling with convergence, random cone of fire, or forced chain-fire.

Burst-fire ballistics and beam-duration PPCs. It's what MWO needs.

#3 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 December 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

Burst-fire ballistics and beam-duration PPC is a much better solution to pin-point alphas than fiddling with convergence, random cone of fire, or forced chain-fire.

Burst-fire ballistics and beam-duration PPCs. It's what MWO needs.

I don't see a problem with a gauss crossing hairs at 700 meters and a ppc crossing hairs at 600 meters. While Med lasers do it at 200 meters. PPC's as a duration seems silly to me. Keep the blast.

#4 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostPropagandaWar, on 06 December 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

PPC's as a duration seems silly to me.

It's what they're supposed to be:

The Particle Projector Cannon (or PPC) is a unique energy weapon. PPCs fire a concentrated stream of protons or ions at a target, causing damage through both thermal and kinetic energy.[...] The ion beam also extends to much farther ranges than autocannon fire, though PPCs generate large amounts of waste heat.
- http://www.sarna.net/wiki/PPC

#5 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

beam duration PPC would mean PPC is the same as a laser.

burst fire Ac's could work.

Fixing jumpjets to something proper like the btech:3025 model for jumpjets so we can actually, you know "Jump" instead of wall grinding to get up stuff would be even better!

maybe then DFA would actually be viable. Imagine 4 brawler victors jumping "over" a ridge, and stepping on 4 stationary jumpsnipers!

but of course instead we have 1 jumpjet, use ridge as a big turtle shield syndrome instead.

We need "Spring" type jumpjets that push you higher, & move you faster, half the fuel burns right away, the other half takes you higher or buffers your fall, and if you dont buffer your fall and go really high you risk falling down when you hit the ground.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 06 December 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#6 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 06 December 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

beam duration PPC would mean PPC is the same as a laser.

Yeah, that's about what I imagine, a slightly more damaging LL but with half the beam duration and an anti-ECM effect.

burst fire Ac's could work.

It could. It would. It's the solution to quite a few problems MWO has in one fell swoop.

Fixing jumpjets to something proper like the btech:3025 model for jumpjets so we can actually, you know "Jump" instead of wall grinding to get up stuff would be even better!

Can't disagree with that, MWO JJs are, well, not what I'd ever imagined JJs would be.

#7 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 December 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

It's what they're supposed to be:

- http://www.sarna.net/wiki/PPC

Alright you got me (The sad part is I've read that before). However it shouldn't be like lasers. It should be quick almost liquid like in flow. I also think pulse lasers would be cooler if they acted like high heat machine guns (More damage of couse). a constant stutter effect giving it the look of "Laser bullets" rather than just a stream of light.

Edited by PropagandaWar, 06 December 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#8 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 December 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

It could. It would. It's the solution to quite a few problems MWO has in one fell swoop.

Maybe. unfortunately currently the ac/20 is needed as a light killer. burst fire ac's would make lights even more survivable due to double armour, and this would likely be a considerable issue.

part of the problem right now is that ballistics are simply too heat efficient and ammo running out is a very very minor factor over 12 man battles. ammo had to be doubled for double armour, it's always been an issue to keep it limited with non-stock builds.

mech3 did ac's the best, outside the dual ac/20 instagib knockdowns, but ac's where also very hot, limited ammo, but extremely powerful too.

#9 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 06 December 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Maybe. unfortunately currently the ac/20 is needed as a light killer. burst fire ac's would make lights even more survivable due to double armour, and this would likely be a considerable issue.

Lights? You're using lights as a reason to keep ballistics instant-damage? I'm sorry, but that's about the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

Lights being "too survivable" is the least of MWO's issues - if it even is an issue at all.

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 06 December 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

mech3 did ac's the best, outside the dual ac/20 instagib knockdowns, but ac's where also very hot, limited ammo, but extremely powerful too.

AC/20s with burst-fire would still be the single most powerful weapon in the game, as capable of taking the leg off a locust in one burst as it is in one shot currently.

#10 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

View Poststjobe, on 06 December 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Lights? You're using lights as a reason to keep ballistics instant-damage? I'm sorry, but that's about the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

Lights being "too survivable" is the least of MWO's issues - if it even is an issue at all.

I guess you missed the bubble they wrapped around the spider because most people cant aim :D

#11 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

The only reason lights are survivable is because when firing at them, weapons damage is spread across all the hit locations.

But even that is circumvented by convergence.

The whole issue is MWO is utilizing a TT system for armor (discrete hit locations) that assume damage is distributed randomly along side an aiming system that converges all weapons into a single ridicule.

Either the whole armor system has to be changed with weapons all hitting a single location in mind (will completely change the game) or weapon's damage needs to be spread out to match what the armor system is expecting.

#12 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Between exploring tweaks to weapons and changes in this thread, we might not need to look at convergence issues.

I'd like to test out simple changes like this to ballistic style weapons, while keeping them lethal and making heat more of a factor also:

Posted Image

#13 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

MWO needs to play like MechWarrior and Battletech. It's supposed to be a Battlemech Simulation not WWII fighter planes.

De-convergence comes from having two reticles to aim with. If mouse controls had the same difficulty alligning the reticles that the joystick does the convergence word would never be heard.

PPCs travel at the speed of a bolt of lightning anyway. It's a single burst of subatomic particles that does autocannon style damage.

Now that they have added a minimum range to the PPC they should add the ability to turn the field inhibitor off also.

MWO is so weird now, everybody wants to re-make it into some other game. Back in March it actually looked like a good MechWarrior game even if the mechs were too fragile.

#14 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 06 December 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

MWO needs to play like MechWarrior and Battletech. It's supposed to be a Battlemech Simulation not WWII fighter planes.

De-convergence comes from having two reticles to aim with. If mouse controls had the same difficulty alligning the reticles that the joystick does the convergence word would never be heard.

PPCs travel at the speed of a bolt of lightning anyway. It's a single burst of subatomic particles that does autocannon style damage.

Now that they have added a minimum range to the PPC they should add the ability to turn the field inhibitor off also.

MWO is so weird now, everybody wants to re-make it into some other game. Back in March it actually looked like a good MechWarrior game even if the mechs were too fragile.

Actually whats funny is in the TT game you could easily lose a mech in the first round or two. That's without convergence. But I hear ya.

It's like having jump sniping back. Yeah its a pain when you lift but when you desend you get your shot. What bugs me about that is that 85 ton jumping machine is able to fall 10-20 meters down with minor if any damage to the legs. Sorry but to me not padding your fall should have more consequences.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users