Dynamic Models: What Is Entailed?

10 replies to this topic

#1 aud

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Apologies if this question has been raised before, my cursory search found little details.

My question(s) here is based in the nature of the present dynamic model updates for weaponry, an element that has been both lauded and criticized depending on the chassis. I'm curious about the engineering behind this feature, specifically how versatile are the present dynamic models? Are they only specific to the weapon hardpoints or is there some framework established now that could support other components of a battlemech being altered/replaced?

In the past there has been some limited talk about the inclusion of cosmetic upgrades for the mechs ala the different head models presented in the atlas concept artwork. What about if/when new weapon systems are introduced? Would the inclusion of such a feature be easier now that many of the mechs have dynamic systems in place or would it require a gradual roll-out of model overhauls such as we are currently seeing with many of the older mechs? Obviously any additions, cosmetic or otherwise, would have to be conceptualized and digitally modeled which takes time. This makes a gradual deployment more probable in either case, but I'm curious if the current dynamic models were created with any degree of 'future proofing' for lack of a better term.

I realize that this is a question best posed directly to the devs, but I am hoping there are some members of the community familiar with similar software engineering elements who could provide insight.

Lastly I would like to state that this post is in no way advocating the present development of such features, I am merely positing these questions in the hopes of generating insightful discussion thereof.

TL;DR Do the present dynamic mech models have support for additional elements (custom heads, new weapons, etc.)

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yes. The current game objects have dozens of parts that the engine selects and puts together to make the mech. If you throw in an AC20, it grabs the AC20 model for that mech/hardpoint and slaps it in.

Custom meshes would definitely be feasible. Implementation would take a bit of work, but hey, that's just another opportunity for generating revenue!

#3 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostHeffay, on 09 December 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

Yes. The current game objects have dozens of parts that the engine selects and puts together to make the mech. If you throw in an AC20, it grabs the AC20 model for that mech/hardpoint and slaps it in.

Custom meshes would definitely be feasible. Implementation would take a bit of work, but hey, that's just another opportunity for generating revenue!

Its also funny how raven pics up those ac20 models and **** my catapult catapult.

Anyway it would be cool to have visual items up for sales like skins and that kinda stuff if it goes well maybe they could be little kinder to newbies that come to this game. I'm all for vanity items and less premium stuff, yes I think hero mechs are abomination.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

I believe that different parts on 'Mechs (other than weapon graphics changes when you change your loadout) are an abomination. They belong in games like Front Mission and Armored Core, not MechWarrior. I don't ever want to see a Centurion with Atlas arms, or an Atlas with Cataphract legs.

And yes, there would be more engineering involved than they have already done. Even the changes they are doing to older 'Mechs aren't anywhere near enough to start changing out parts.

#5 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 09 December 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

I believe that different parts on 'Mechs (other than weapon graphics changes when you change your loadout) are an abomination. They belong in games like Front Mission and Armored Core, not MechWarrior. I don't ever want to see a Centurion with Atlas arms, or an Atlas with Cataphract legs.

And yes, there would be more engineering involved than they have already done. Even the changes they are doing to older 'Mechs aren't anywhere near enough to start changing out parts.

I think the OP was more talking about different atlas arms for your atlas. Different atlas heads for your atlas.
(which has been talked about by the devs)

Not mixing and matching different mechs parts with another mechs parts.

Just cosmetic stuff.
eg....

atlas head with a glowing eye again. (there could be tons of just this one, all with a different colour glowing eye)
atlas head with a few spikes on it or some other alteration, maybe a more skeleton'y human head look or something.

Different arms, torsos shoulders all following the same pattern, just cosmetic additions or alterations to the current mechs parts........

Parts with preset battle dmg on them or "patched on" parts, making the mech look more rugged or battle used etc.

All cosmetic, no changes to hitbox or any bonus's for using them etc etc etc.......

People would buy them for MC , some could be unlocked via achievments or challenges etc and from my understanding this type of thing actually happened in the lore as well..............

Edited by Fooooo, 10 December 2013 - 01:49 AM.

#6 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:31 AM

I want a loincloth for my mech...

Posted Image

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

View Postxhrit, on 10 December 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

I want a loincloth for my mech...

Posted Image

We have that...
Posted Image
Only cooler I think.

#8 Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

never knew that there are german astrates....

#9 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostSidekick, on 10 December 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

never knew that there are german astrates....

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Longinus

Produced by the FWL. Odd to me that it has what looks like the german eagle.

#10 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 09 December 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Um...how not exactly? For engineering this looks like the exact same concept. All you do is break off a few existing pieces and spawn them on demand like the weapons are currently or even just add small things like the bars etc, again, like the weapons. Biggest hurdles I see would be the textures and the UI...Planetside 2 figured out a way around those fine.

Edited by Karyudo ds, 11 December 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#11 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 11 December 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Um...how not exactly? For engineering this looks like the exact same concept. All you do is break off a few existing pieces and spawn them on demand like the weapons are currently or even just add small things like the bars etc, again, like the weapons. Biggest hurdles I see would be the textures and the UI...Planetside 2 figured out a way around those fine.

It should be fairly easy, as CE3 has native support for dynamic character models...

Character Individualization System

CryENGINE®3 uses an innovative attachment system that lets skinned, animated, or physicalized elements be attached to the skeleton or mesh of a character. With this system, it's even possible to replace entire body parts such as heads, hands or the upper and lower body in real-time. A multiplatform, hardware-based, shape-deformation system also allows flexible variation of the character meshes, supporting manual and procedural generation to ensure a small memory footprint. An additional variation system based on shaders can be used for dirt and decals for clothes, as well as war paint, and tattoos.

http://mycryengine.com/?conid=17

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users