Mwo Prices

47 replies to this topic

#1 Wip3ou7

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

I've been playing this game for almost two years or whatever and of course there's a lot of things to gripe about. My biggest problem with this game is how expensive it is for something thats labeled as free in some way. This game vs other normal games that retail for $60 or even less is a joke. I've given in to the curiosity and jealousy of hero mechs and purchased a few myself, and phoenix stuff as well. Hell even cockpit items (which I very much regret now that they have repositioned them). I think the pricing schedule for this game is astronomically out of proportion to other games in the industry. A mech costing $30 or more, and now with some packages costing up to $500 you would expect some serious value for that money. Putting $50 into a game which I've already put $50 into means I expect a significant change to my gameplay experience that is nearly equal to the base game in terms of the amount of content. I could endlessly ramble on about this forever but I think by now everyone understands where I'm going with this. $500 could buy you a top of the line videocard, with which you could play games that are much cheaper and better looking (and probably more functional or even fun) than MWO.

I love MWO. But please consider that if you cut the price of your content in half, you would sell twice as much of it or even more.

And MWO as a whole, imo, is not worth $500, let alone some gold mechs.

Edited by Wip3ou7, 13 December 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#2 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

The prices on the packages aren't bad ($500 for a gold mech is silly to me but not to those with that kind of disposable income) The bigger issue is pushing and marketing this kind of stuff before you've implemented any kind of CW, UI2.0, lobbies, game mdoes, etc. It's ridiculous. Perception (right or wrong) = PGI money grabbing for more and more of the player base. Stop and actually give us the full game you promised 18 months ago

#3 Wip3ou7

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostSandpit, on 13 December 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

.... pushing and marketing this kind of stuff before you've implemented any kind of CW, UI2.0, lobbies, game mdoes, etc. It's ridiculous. Perception (right or wrong) = PGI money grabbing for more and more of the player base. Stop and actually give us the full game you promised 18 months ago

^yes you said more of what i was thinking but was too lazy to type.

Edited by Wip3ou7, 13 December 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#4 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

We have NO concrete information on ANYthing. That's one of the biggest problems. They treat it like if they keep secretive and hush hush on their "top secret" developments that it's somehow better than dispersing information to paying and potential customers.
Why would I spend money on something that I have no information on how it works, how it will be implemented, how the game will play, how CW will work, how it's going to be balanced, how the different game mdoes will work within CW, what modules and components like command console will work, wtf a horn is, what a "unique module is (is it functional, purely asthetic?), what the hardpoints on clan mechs are....

#5 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Pricing of everything in this game has always been on the steep side, but its not terrible over-all. I doubt they will hit their targets for the clan packages above $120 dollars though. It should be a learning experience for their marketing team, we haven't had this huge a variation in prices before, so it should give them a sense of what we will be willing to pay for and what we wont be. I bought the dire wolf pack, but i wont go higher than that.

As for the 500 dollar package, I really don't know why they bothered with that.

#6 Wip3ou7

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

It's just mechs. I don't see the price being justified. They arent game changing, are they? Not new weapons, not new maps, not new gametypes, features or mechanics, just mechs. Essentially different ways to hold your guns.

The same guns weve been using for 2 years. On the same maps. In the same broken UI. Same gametypes. Overpriced.

Edited by Wip3ou7, 13 December 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#7 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

They will have new weapons. CLAN weapons. We have yet to see the specifics however. Also the UI bugs have been gone for months. Where have you been?

Look at it this way. If you are feeling unsure, wait til UI 2.0 and CW, the package delivers in june and I imagine they will continue selling until after that (the same way they did phoenix and founders). The only thing that is really limited is gold Khan package, but your a shmuck if you pay 500 dollars, so just ignore that section of the page.

Edited by pbiggz, 13 December 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#8 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 13 December 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

They will have new weapons. CLAN weapons.

You don't know that. Neither do I. Nor does any other player on this forum.
Why?
Well because PGI refuses to release information on it. I don't understand why more people don't see this as a problem

#9 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostSandpit, on 13 December 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

You don't know that. Neither do I. Nor does any other player on this forum.
Why?
Well because PGI refuses to release information on it. I don't understand why more people don't see this as a problem

Because it's not a problem. The PROBLEM is the pricing is rather steep for the higher packages, and the 500 dollar golden khan thing is dumb.

They will release specifics on clan weaponry when it's good and damned ready. There are a number of very large threads on the subject in the clan forums. You can check them out if you are willing to dig through entire pages of people demanding that PGI not nerf clan weaponry. (PS: they already said they are).

#10 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 13 December 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Because it's not a problem. The PROBLEM is the pricing is rather steep for the higher packages, and the 500 dollar golden khan thing is dumb.

They will release specifics on clan weaponry when it's good and damned ready. There are a number of very large threads on the subject in the clan forums. You can check them out if you are willing to dig through entire pages of people demanding that PGI not nerf clan weaponry. (PS: they already said they are).

which still gives me, a potential customer, no information on what I'm buying other than the chassis I would be getting. Not to mention all of the other stuff I mentioned. Pricing is subjective. I don't feel the pricing is bad for what you get. It comes out to about $10 a mech which isn't bad. It's on par with the PP mechs. (which I see you bought) If someone wants to drop $500 go for it. Not my cup of tea personally.
I cannot keep giving money to a company for an unfinished poorly documented, and completely unknown game though. It's absolutely ridiculous that I still don't know exactly what my loyalty points and badges are going to affect that I bought in the in the last pack. There's no reason or excuse for it and it's not something I personally find acceptable.
That's why I'm saying PGI gets nothing more out of me until I get something out of them. I've supported the game enough. It's time they stop acting like petulant children not wanting to share their ball with the other kids on the playground. This isn't THEIR game, it's for the customers. All this "top secret" attitude does is create apathy and cynicism. There is absolutely no reason any player in this game shouldn't know what each and every thing they've spent money on does, is going to do (outside of tweaks and balancing), or will be implemented. Period

#11 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostSandpit, on 13 December 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

which still gives me, a potential customer, no information on what I'm buying other than the chassis I would be getting.

Yeah this is stupid.

Same thing with the phoenix LP bonuses and hanging item. We STILL don't even know everything about what we actually bought from the last package :\

The stuff doesn't even come out for months yet, buying now would be financially unsound, tying up money for nothing, I will buy on the last day of the package or when you can actually get stuff in the game.

Edited by Ghogiel, 14 December 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#12 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:35 AM

This game has extremely slow development cycles but at the same time very expensive prices for items and packages. I don't know if pgi and igp are milking battletech fans or they are trolling the community....

#13 Xendojo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostSnowhawk, on 14 December 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

This game has extremely slow development cycles but at the same time very expensive prices for items and packages. I don't know if pgi and igp are milking battletech fans or they are trolling the community....

both.

#14 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:14 AM

there was a thread a few days ago where a photo showing the shadow of what looked like a Timberwolf was clearly visible. One of the MODS piped up and said. "OOOPS Our Bad, we really need to control things better, I won't close this thread. yadda yadda yadda." Anyways I feel that this might be PGI saying darnit... the Genie is out of the bottle, might as well let the rest of it go now.

Think about it, you can't even buy this stuff as a gift for others, believe me my wife looked to see if she could buy me some game time and give it to me for Christmas but the only way she could do that would have been just to hand me some money and let me buy the stuff for myself. Garth, Brian, GUYS... You completely missed the boat on this one, your marketing team has no vision and no thought process and is even doing things that make it impossible for people who want to spend money and help you out to actually do that. (gift game time cards and Gift MC Cards that can be bought and gifted without having to create an account with the game. You missed this one big time)

NOW, just before Christmas you come out with this highly over priced, no information, not all that inspiring, Clan package that has been so poorly handled that it's actually going to hurt your game more than get people pumped up for it. IF this is your idea of a Christmas sale then you are truely infected with the VANCOUVER Mindset where EVERYTHING is way over priced and everyone WANTS TO PAY IT because it's what you do in Vancouver. Here's a reality check for you. My house that I bought in Nova Scotia for $177,900 a few years ago would sell for $700,000+ on the Vancouver market today. You are living in a bubble, perhaps it's time to let the people in Montreal take over the Marketing aspects of the game because you guys out there have lost sight of reality.

Sandpit is right on the money, no info, cloak and dagger approach, sky high prices, previous promises still not fulfilled, In Game features of VERY HIGH IMPORTANCE still not implemented... It doesn't matter that delivery is still 6 months away, with it being Christmas time now this is coming across as a suspicious event and one that makes more than just a few of us a little uneasy.

I see you have stepped up your "We're Hiring" advertisement, please add MARKETING DIRECTOR to that list because you sure as hell need one along with a PR director.

I said it in one of my very first posts back in April 2012 once I had gotten into the invite only closed beta, you should have set this game up at the start of the first succession war (2781, all star league tech still in play) or just after the end of the third succession war post 3025. Yes copy right bla bla... with all the concept art that the fans have done you could have easily swallowed your pride and had perfectly acceptable mechs up and running.

From where I sit, this is your last kick at the cat, at least for me PGI, if this one goes the way of the founders pack you might be ok but if it goes the way of Phoenix/CW/UI 2.0/Direct X-11/Game Modes, you're sunk and I will act like a rat once that is clear and leave the ship.

#15 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

While i do think the prices are a bit high i usually only buy $100 MC every 6 months which ends up being about $16 a month. I used to pay $15 for some game subscriptions so in the end it balances out.

You could also argue all you want about what they are going to do with clantech but no matter what they do it will even at the very least.... still be better whether its only one of the following, range tonnage, crit slot, its still going to be better. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be clantech. When i bought the phoenix package i haven't spent any money since then. I expect even more out of my clan pack investment. So in conclusion investing in 24 mechs will keep me busy for a very long time without having to spend more money. so i'm good for 7 months til they are released and i'll be good for another 7 after that. It balances out to about $15 a month for the next year.

#16 B E E L Z E B U B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 384 posts
  • LocationTopsy Turvy Town

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

this feels like a scam. paying 200+ dollars for a package of mechs that wont get here until june next year. i dont even know if ill still be playing mwo next month!
another thing, i dont know how they will implement the clan tech... 10Vs12?
also, asking 500$ dollars for a golden mech?! obviouslly its not real gold... its pixels afterall, pure marketing evil shi*. i wonder what bill hicks would tell PGI.
from now on im going to be treating this game as a real f2p and by that i mean im not giving them another freaking cent!

WTF?! do they really think im gonna pay them that much money for such a broken game?

IM AS MAD AS HELL AND IM NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!

http://youtu.be/WINDtlPXmmE

#17 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostSandpit, on 13 December 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

The prices on the packages aren't bad ($500 for a gold mech is silly to me but not to those with that kind of disposable income) The bigger issue is pushing and marketing this kind of stuff before you've implemented any kind of CW, UI2.0, lobbies, game mdoes, etc. It's ridiculous. Perception (right or wrong) = PGI money grabbing for more and more of the player base. Stop and actually give us the full game you promised 18 months ago

Why would they do that when people just keep giving them money for nothing? A reskinned mech isnt content. But they sure do sell. Without any upward pressure to complete anything and they continue to see a steady stream of income based off of 0 work expedited to the community I dont blame them. PGI can just sit there and keep releasing mechs and making $$.

Maybe subcontract a few little ideas and feed teasers to the players and hint things are coming and keep selling and people just keep buying. There is no incentive for them to complete any type of content on any time frame.

If people stopped buying {Scrap} I bet you would see a lot faster pace but since they can get away with doing very little and still have significant revenue - they chose the option.

#18 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

I just like how all of the recent mechs will be thrown into a "package" with many others. So instead of having to wait a week or 2 for them to be available through C-Bills you have to wait months if the mech you want is at the upper end of the list.

Clan mech launch in June. At 1 per month you won't get the Masakari until Jan 2015 for C-bills

#19 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

They've stated before that they want to up to 2 mechs a month. Add to that the fact that it'd be pretty damn stupid to introduce the Clans with only 1 mech available for CBill purchase with CW, and I'm pretty sure they'll release the first 4 tiers as CBill variants pretty quickly, possibly with the other 4 as monthly mechs after that.

#20 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

I've not found a reason to spend any more money since the founders program. Getting access to the beta and enough MC(money) to buy lots of mech bays was totally worth it. Other than a few paint colors and a camo I haven't spent MC(money) on any thing else. You don't have to buy hero mechs or special packages to enjoy the game. I don't understand why so many people pour money into these things and then complain about it. You got exactly what you paid for and it is your choice as a consumer.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users