Mwo Prices

47 replies to this topic

#21 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Prices are not terrible except for the gold stuff. I personally would like to see them a little lower though. But I think games in general are getting more pricey on things. https://www.shroudof...m/?page_id=9085

#22 Wip3ou7

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

In Gran Turismo they release car packs for free that have dozens of cars. The cars they do sell cost $1-5 each. Each of these cars has a real life counterpart which they must research and recreate the appearance and physical behavior of. They send a research team to test the car or a manufacturer sends the car to the dev studio where they put it on a hydraulic bouncer lift filled with sensors sending data to a computer that is recording it all for use in game. It costs a lot of money and time to do that and they have no problems with it.

For a mech, it takes an artist maybe a few days to model a mech, which functions the same as everything else already in the game and has no real life counterpart to be tested against, yet they take a month and charge you the price of an entire game for it.

Gran Turismo 6: 1,200 real life mechs and 70+ real life battlefields for $60.

#23 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostWip3ou7, on 14 December 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

In Gran Turismo they release car packs for free that have dozens of cars. The cars they do sell cost $1-5 each. Each of these cars has a real life counterpart which they must research and recreate the appearance and physical behavior of. They send a research team to test the car or a manufacturer sends the car to the dev studio where they put it on a hydraulic bouncer lift filled with sensors sending data to a computer that is recording it all for use in game. It costs a lot of money and time to do that and they have no problems with it.

For a mech, it takes an artist maybe a few days to model a mech, which functions the same as everything else already in the game and has no real life counterpart to be tested against, yet they take a month and charge you the price of an entire game for it.

I think your comparison is not realistic. It takes more than drawing up a mech to make it happen. This is very apparent with all of the complaints regarding the hitboxes of various mechs.

#24 Action Man

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Personally I feel its not so much the prices, but rather how it is served to us. What makes F2p games sustainable is micro transactions, this game you can just drop the micro.
$10 a Mech is fine, $6.66 a mech (overlord package) is better. pigeon-holing into a category where you would have to fork over $200 as the only means to get one particular chassis in one lump sum is just nuts for a video game. consumers do have preferred limits as some threads are showing.

If customers are offered a more flexible package something like for every $30 you throw down gets you a chassis of your choice in 3 variants + vanity stuff. you would find little to no grippes on the current issues. Lack of flexibility in our purchase options I believe is the issue here no so much the pricing.

Edited by Action Man, 14 December 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#25 Wip3ou7

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Who are you gonna show your gold mech to when there is no one left playing this game except you and the one other ***** that has a gold mech?

One day that will be MWO. The only players left will be the gold mech owners and there will be less than 24 so they wont be able to find a game to show anyone.

Or they WILL have more than 24 idiots and every game will be the same golden enemies who are complete suckers for life and everyone without a golden mech who are normal people will have moved on to better and newer games.

6 mechs every 6 months and for 100+ dollars each time.... ****....

do you know how many games release in 6 months?

does PGI think MWO is the only game in the world?

the fact that we can forsee what mechs will come within the next year or so and that the selection is so limited in terms of quantity and value makes me lose a lot of interest in this game

Edited by Wip3ou7, 14 December 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#26 Wip3ou7

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostSoulscour, on 14 December 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

I think your comparison is not realistic. It takes more than drawing up a mech to make it happen. This is very apparent with all of the complaints regarding the hitboxes of various mechs.

lol this is a joke right?

you open up 3ds max, do some face extrusions on a mesh cube then UV unwrap that ***** and bam you have a madcat

#27 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostWip3ou7, on 14 December 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

lol this is a joke right?

you open up 3ds max, do some face extrusions on a mesh cube then UV unwrap that ***** and bam you have a madcat

I'm not joking. hitboxes are a big deal with play balance. You can't just skin up a mech and call it a day. If you were paying any attention to the many complaints about the spider, and raven which were not done properly you would know this. Then there was the dragon whos physics caused it to bowl over all other mechs while staying upright in beta when there was collisions. By the way, where the hell are collisions. we need that back.

#28 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

Where is the evidence or economic research that would show if they did indeed cut their prices they would sell double the amount or even more?

#29 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 14 December 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Where is the evidence or economic research that would show if they did indeed cut their prices they would sell double the amount or even more?

Come on now. We all know that its the battletech fans that are the main financial support for this game and not gamers. That is the reason for the pricing. That is also why the package tiers are designed the way that they are. They will pay anything! (and then complain about it) I'm just glad that the support is begrudgingly there. Thanks battletech fans!

#30 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostSoulscour, on 14 December 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

Come on now. We all know that its the battletech fans that are the main financial support for this game and not gamers. That is the reason for the pricing. That is also why the package tiers are designed the way that they are. They will pay anything! (and then complain about it) I'm just glad that the support is begrudgingly there. Thanks battletech fans!

Aside from just knowing about BT growing up and having a toy here and there I don't know anything about it. No clue about the lore or any experience with TT, nor do I care. I am a gamer who has dropped more than 300 on the game and will probably get the 240 clan mech package eventually once more info is available. I just want great gameplay that is balanced. I don't want to hear about canon rules or whatever...the game will live and die on balance.

The game play is fun and if CW shakes out I will be a supporter for a long time. I was loyal to only the Battlefield series until MWO came about. I still bought BF4 premium though in case this flops. I never cared for the gameplay of the past MW games but MWO is on the verge of something I could do 5 years.

Seems to me the BT crowd are the ones refusing to buy especially if their clan mechs are not as OP as they think they should be.

If they are willing to be fleeced just because they are rabid fans then so be it but that shouldn't give them the right to nay say everything coming down the pipe.

#31 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

PGI has found a way to make more money per man hour of development and overhead cost than GT.

Seems like PGI is better than GT devs in some sense. They probably made about the same amount of money too after the GT devs had to recoup the +100$mil dev cost of their games.

#32 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

You're joking right..?? A consumer that will not be willing to pay $30.00 for a product, and thus never tries said product, BUT would pay $10.00, and then realize his or her purchase was worth it (in their mind), would likely spend another $10.00, resulting in $20.00 spent versus ZERO dollars spent.. So instead of PGI/IGP making $30.00 they lost $20.00, it's simple marketing.

I know of many people that would drop $10.00 here and $10.00 there for a mech with a mech bay, but not $30.00.
It's basic basic psychology in marketing, a $10.00 purchase is seen as small, and a $30.00 purchase is seen for what it is, THREE TIMES larger..

$30.00 is completely unreasonable for a Mech and mech bay, and I will explain this.
Once the Mech is designed, and the hit boxes formulated, it takes no more effort to produce another for sale, the design is there and all you are buying is CODE, or in other words, nothing more then a picture of a fictional mech in a picture of a fictional mech bay.
There is no factory needed to produce more, no plastic injection molding process, no shipping, NOTHING..
The consumer knows this, and this is how they assign value to a picture of a fictional THING.

Now you might say "but they have to patch it because the hit boxes are messed up", but that is the fault of the producer/coder, and if they did not sufficiently for quality control, you CANNOT blame the consumer for the short comings of the producer, not one bit.. PERIOD

An entire AAA PC box game goes for around $60.00, and sometimes DLC, so lets say $80.00 for an average AAA title with a DLC add on.... Now your total investment is $80.00 for the life of the game, and you may have to endure some tweaking and patching for let's say 3 to 4 months... $80.00 bucks... DONE

Now you have MWO $30.00 here for this Hero Atlas, $80.00 there for a Phoenix package that's $110.00 spent and then 6 months after official release, with 2 patches a month, that's 12 patches, and the game isn't finished and much touted content is still unseen, no idea when it will be implemented.. Hmmmmmmmm

Now take into account that a much awaited/promised part of MWO is announced, the Clan Tech...
But hold onto your hats, no mention of C-Bill cost, only a $240.00 cost for the pre-order of a Clan Pack that includes one of the most awaited Mechs in the game (for example) the Timberwolf/Madcat.. Hmmmmm.

But there's more :D !!!!!
Don't look now but for $500.00 you can get a Golden Khan edition skin on your Clan Mech..
That's $500.00... Neat huh..??
All of that and you will get your goods digitally delivered (because your product doesn't really exist), by the date of June 17th 2014..!!! Only 6 months away kids..!!! :ph34r:

Really..?? $850.00, ok then... Good luck with that..
It's called perspective, and common sense..
Get some ;)

Edited by Odins Fist, 14 December 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#33 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

It isn't quite that simple. I worked on Forza 4 and Forza 5. Most of the assets get re-used and upgraded between versions. I assume that GT6 did the same thing, so it's not like they created 1200 cars and 70 tracks from scratch just for GT6.

#34 Wip3ou7

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 16 December 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

I worked on Forza 4 and Forza 5.

Forza sucks. The only good thing about it is the decal paint system.

#35 psihius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 161 posts
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hey, if you are unsure about if to spend money on Clan packages, just build up the money till the end of spring and if you like what has been done to the game in these 6 months - just buy one. If not, well, you have some money built up to spend in the summer on something :)
Easy as pie.

#36 Wip3ou7

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostSoulscour, on 14 December 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

I'm not joking. hitboxes are a big deal with play balance. You can't just skin up a mech and call it a day. If you were paying any attention to the many complaints about the spider, and raven which were not done properly you would know this. Then there was the dragon whos physics caused it to bowl over all other mechs while staying upright in beta when there was collisions. By the way, where the hell are collisions. we need that back.

So your logic is that "PGI couldn't get it right, therefore it must be difficult or time consuming to accomplish".

Unfortunately that logic is wrong. Tweaking hitboxes is even easier than creating the visual model for the mech. They are invisible mesh models with low complexity which the edges and vertices of can be easily manipulated.

Game design is not as complex as it may seem. At least not to me. I went to college for computer animation and I've been in the game industry all my life.

The high cost and slow production rate of this game are an obvious offense to it's customers.

As for the customers that defend PGI, are you people fkd in the head? Do you NOT want more for your money? Do you not want content released at a more regular pace? Do you not want a more affordable pricing schedule for the game so that more people would be encouraged to play and spend money?

Like I said before, nothing in this game is worth $500.

Even hero mechs, like the misery, x5, and deaths knell, all which I have purchased, are not worth their price, NOT EVEN CLOSE. The reason I bought these things are NOT for WHAT I GET RIGHT NOW, but I looked at it as "this game is in beta and paying a lot for these items early on will help a game I love get developed faster and with a higher quality". I've put well over $200 in this game and I draw the line right there. PGI gets no more money from me, I already put in more than enough to consider doing my part in funding this game, especially since I have played dozens of thousands of other fantastic games in my life without spending more than $50 or $100 on them.

PGI got my support money, now I want to see my investment returned, in the form of a quality game with rich features and affordable micro-transaction content. MICRO-transactions. Not MEGA-transactions.

Only then will I consider spending more on this game.

Edited by Wip3ou7, 17 December 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#37 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostWip3ou7, on 16 December 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

Forza sucks. The only good thing about it is the decal paint system.

Yeah, that's probably why Forza consistently gets better ratings that GT. :D

#38 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

Well angry birds constantly gives new levels for free.

I play injustice on my galaxy s4 and it's free

CoD charges me $60 for the season pass for 4 DLCs plus $60 for the game

Madden gives me free roster updates but charges me $60 for the game

DCUO charges me $15/month for my legendary status

Do we see how comparing different games is kinda pointless yet?

#39 Subcult

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

I spent sixty bucks. The fair market value for a video game. What I got is not complete and lacks any substance such as competitive leagues or table top simulated gameplay such as an NBT league, and I now doubt there will be. However, I have no doubts as to the profitability of PGI.

I keep hearing promises of a better tomorrow if I pay for it today. Nope. It's bullsh1t

I'm never spending another dime on PGI.

Edited by Subcult, 18 December 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#40 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostWip3ou7, on 17 December 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

As for the customers that defend PGI, are you people fkd in the head? Do you NOT want more for your money?

Well... maybe some customers/players here are showing the first signs of the Stockholm Syndrome http://en.wikipedia....ckholm_syndrome

"Stockholm syndrome, or capture–bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them" ;) :P :lol: :blink:

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users